2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#598508 - 24/12/07 07:57 PM Suggestions for MP3s
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
So my wife wants to download more music to her ipod. So I was told to get her a subscription to Napster and I'd be able to have unlimited music for cheap. Then I found out on their site that you can't use their music on ipods.

Soooo.... what are the best sites to download music without using filesharing sites. I used to use allofmp3 but they're shut down. I used a search but only found a bunch of old threads. Anyone have some reccomendations on a cheap site to get music for an IPOD legally?

#598509 - 24/12/07 08:32 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, i just got a new sony ericsson 580i cell phone and it came with a thing for 50 free downloads from www.emusic.com . well, i tried it out today since i lost alot of my music when my hard drive crashed. i had about 10gb on my 20gb MP3 player/hard drive, but i still had about another 5gb worth on my hard drive that wasnt on my iRiver. well, i was looking for the music i lost on there and couldnt find much of anything. i looked for about 2hrs and i still have 40 downloads to use in the next 14 days. so i wouldn't use emusic. i just downloaded and re installed limewire to get the music i was looking for though. and that is one of the main reasons i didnt get an iPod because of having to use iTunes.

#598510 - 24/12/07 08:49 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

zuzu...how ya liking the 580? I just got one myself and I'm diggin it a whole lot more than the 610i I have sitting in a drawer laugh

#598511 - 24/12/07 10:12 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
... and that is one of the main reasons i didnt get an iPod because of having to use iTunes.
I don't know anything about the ipod except that my wife has a nano. You don't have to use iTunes to get the music do you? Can't you use other sites also?

#598512 - 25/12/07 12:03 AM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
I used to use allofmp3 but they're shut down. ... Anyone have some reccomendations on a cheap site to get music for an IPOD legally?
Allofmp3 changed to mp3sparks... but that's arguably legal (outside of Russia) anyway. If you downloaded their AllTunes tool, it still works. You just go through mp3sparks to reload your balance.

Any sites that provide unprotected .mp3 files (maybe some other types, too) can be used to download music for iPods.

#598513 - 25/12/07 07:58 AM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
zuzu...how ya liking the 580? I just got one myself and I'm diggin it a whole lot more than the 610i I have sitting in a drawer laugh
well, im still figuring it out, but i love it. much better then my razr. i couldnt figure out how to put the music on it though. the guy at the place told me i could use the provided CD in the box and the USB cable to plug it in and it could hold a couple hundred songs. bullshit. i almost called tech support cause i couldnt get it to work and i was gettin pissed. so since i work at the outlets here in town part time, i went to the AT&T store next to our store and asked them. they said i had to get an M2 card to do it that it wouldnt work with out it. so i had to go to best buy yesterday and get a card. now it works great. the guy i got it from gave me a burnt orange color cover for it, so i downloaded a theme with flaming skulls and it looks pretty sweet now. i got the black one.
[/hijack]

#598514 - 25/12/07 08:17 AM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]zuzu...how ya liking the 580? I just got one myself and I'm diggin it a whole lot more than the 610i I have sitting in a drawer laugh
well, im still figuring it out, but i love it. much better then my razr. i couldnt figure out how to put the music on it though. the guy at the place told me i could use the provided CD in the box and the USB cable to plug it in and it could hold a couple hundred songs. bullshit. i almost called tech support cause i couldnt get it to work and i was gettin pissed. so since i work at the outlets here in town part time, i went to the AT&T store next to our store and asked them. they said i had to get an M2 card to do it that it wouldnt work with out it. so i had to go to best buy yesterday and get a card. now it works great. the guy i got it from gave me a burnt orange color cover for it, so i downloaded a theme with flaming skulls and it looks pretty sweet now. i got the black one.
[/hijack][/b]
[ThumbsUp] I got the Urban Grey one.

#598515 - 26/12/07 02:00 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[ThumbsUp] I got the Urban Grey one.
i wish they would have had one in that color. i like that more then the black. but black and orange are 2 of my fav colors, so i guess it'll do...for now.

#598516 - 26/12/07 10:51 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Anonymous
Unregistered

in terms of finding a site that makes mp3's available for downloading when you pay are pretty non-existent...if you have a subscription service such as ruckus i would recommend downloading tunebite...tunebite basically records the music through your soundcard at 4x..so i would convert all the files while you are sleeping

#598517 - 26/12/07 11:37 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
Then I found out on their site that you can't use their music on ipods.
Not true. I don't know why people can't figure this out. The same thing with songs purchased on iTunes - they CAN be used with other devices.

You just have to burn them off to a music disc first, then re-import them.

Yes, it's an extra step. But only lazy or cheap people won't do it (discs are so cheap these days, cost shouldn't be an issue).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#598518 - 26/12/07 11:39 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
and that is one of the main reasons i didnt get an iPod because of having to use iTunes.
Try Songbird. It's still in beta, and therefore a little buggy - but it will sync an ipod.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#598519 - 27/12/07 05:04 AM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Yes, it's an extra step. But only lazy or cheap people won't do it (discs are so cheap these days, cost shouldn't be an issue).
The problem here is, for an album on Itunes, you pay $9.99. So lets say the CD in reality cost $15. You saving $5 you now have you spend approx 30 min burning, ripping, manually renaming the mp3s and waste a cdr.

So to go through this trouble, just buy the CD and get it at a higher bitrate anyway.

I recommand Emusic, $20/month 90 downloads. The selection is wonderful if you are into indie.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#598520 - 27/12/07 10:05 AM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Quote:
[b]Yes, it's an extra step. But only lazy or cheap people won't do it (discs are so cheap these days, cost shouldn't be an issue).
The problem here is, for an album on Itunes, you pay $9.99. So lets say the CD in reality cost $15. You saving $5 you now have you spend approx 30 min burning, ripping, manually renaming the mp3s and waste a cdr.
[/b]

If it's a full CD, chances are you don't have to rename the files (though I will admit I can't stand CDDB's naming of albums). But like I said - it CAN be done. All these websites and people saying the songs are incompatible are not telling the whole truth.

Quote:
So to go through this trouble, just buy the CD and get it at a higher bitrate anyway.

*MOST* people don't need higher than 160 or 192 in any case.

Quote:
I recommand Emusic, $20/month 90 downloads. The selection is wonderful if you are into indie.
What if you aren't into indie?

#598521 - 27/12/07 01:15 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Guy Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
What about Rhapsody?
myRhapsody

#598522 - 27/12/07 01:26 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:

If it's a full CD, chances are you don't have to rename the files (though I will admit I can't stand CDDB's naming of albums). But like I said - it CAN be done. All these websites and people saying the songs are incompatible are not telling the whole truth.
[quote]

Have you tried this? Do you know how CDDB knows what a CD is? By it's time signature, which will be off if it's a burned audio file-> cd. Remember CDs have an audible gap feature used between songs for intros, etc. This won't exist in your new one.

But, I may be wrong, itunes may burn meta data (cd-plus I think it's called) into the CD so that info from the ripper can be grabbed.

In realtity, Itunes uses DRM, they don't want you to burn MP3s, plain and simple, and they go out of their way to prevent it.

[QUOTE]*MOST* people don't need higher than 160 or 192 in any case.

True, people could care less about quality, but as I mentioned you're paying and doing the work, and end up with less of a product. That is what I was gettng at with that comment.

Quote:
What if you aren't into indie?
Go elsewhere? Buy CDs? Get a good taste of music? (I kid). I was just giving a suggestion of what I personally use. Great music, legal, and DRM free.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#598523 - 27/12/07 03:28 PM Re: Suggestions for MP3s
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Do you know how CDDB knows what a CD is? By it's time signature, which will be off if it's a burned audio file-> cd. Remember CDs have an audible gap feature used between songs for intros, etc. This won't exist in your new one.

By the time, yes. But not the time of the whole album. It uses individual songs. If it went by the whole time, you'd have a LOT of confusion when you inserted a disc. There are literally thousands of albums out there - I guarantee that there are hundreds with the exact same length when measured as a whole. The gap means nothing to CDDB. It goes by how many songs and the length of each of those songs.

Quote:
But, I may be wrong, itunes may burn meta data (cd-plus I think it's called) into the CD so that info from the ripper can be grabbed.
I don't think itunes does CD-plus.

Quote:
In realtity, Itunes uses DRM, they don't want you to burn MP3s, plain and simple, and they go out of their way to prevent it.
No more than any other DRM service (emusic not included, obviously). Itunes does sell DRM-free music now.

Quote:
True, people could care less about quality, but as I mentioned you're paying and doing the work, and end up with less of a product. That is what I was gettng at with that comment.

Agreed.

Quote:
Get a good taste of music? (I kid).

Why kid? I wish people would get a good taste, too. (The "what if you aren't into indie music didn't apply to me.)

Quote:
I was just giving a suggestion of what I personally use. Great music, legal, and DRM free.
No problem with that at all.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal