Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29126 - 28/04/08 09:20 AM Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, so a good friend of mine (mom's boyfriend), works for an advertising company that also does vinyl wraps for vehicles. The guy wants to return a favor by doing a free custom wrap on my Xterra.

I said "Cool, let's do this". Problem is, I have no idea what the hell I want... Nothing crazy or [Rainbow] , that's for sure...

Any suggestions?

#29127 - 28/04/08 09:50 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Why would you really want to do that?

You have a new vehicle. You run the risk of possible damage to the surface and the paint when the wrap eventually gets pulled off.

You might want to give this a lot more thought before doing this to a new Xterra. Are you going to be paid by some advertising sponsor? Have you thought about the warranty issues?

Nissan is not exactly known for the great paint on the Xterra. I have had issues with their paint job quality. I think many others have too.

#29128 - 28/04/08 10:53 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

The ONLY reason I would do this is because its free. No advertisments, no logos, just whatever I wanted to put on.

I just figured it would give some added protection to the vehicle's surface until I got bored of the vinyl and then I could just pull it off with a heat gun.

I did not know, however that it could cause some paint damage. This is something that I am still researching, so I will definitely take a good look at that issue. Thanks for pointing that out.

That being said, if I don't get the vinyl, would a protective clear-coat benefit my Xterra?

#29129 - 28/04/08 12:10 PM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
It might not be bad as a protective clear bra for the front end of the X...

#29130 - 28/04/08 12:26 PM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

OH hell if it was me I would be putting a Skeleton rib cage around the X. With an evil skull on it. wink

#29131 - 28/04/08 02:06 PM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Canope Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
What's a wrap?

#29132 - 28/04/08 02:09 PM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
It's basically shrinkwrapping a vehicle with advertisements.

#29133 - 13/05/08 02:21 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some are as simple as racing stripes, and as complex as high quality photos. I once saw a car that was entirely done in high res flames... A paint job of the same thing would have probably cost more than the price of the car, but the nice thing about a wrap (or any vinyl application), is that it is removable.

I've recently learned that you just have to make sure that the application is done with the right equipment so that whenever you are ready to peel it off, that it doesn't take paint with it.

Typically, they are used for advertisements, but putting a 10" stripe down the top of you vehicle is a more simplified version.

[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/skinzwraps/SAza7N5DQdI/AAAAAAAAIdc/vNvbvZluvTw/DSCF3893.JPG?imgmax=512[/img]
Hooters Xterra 2002, I think.

2007 SEMA Xterra. FYI: It also has a v8 Titan engine, 5" Calmini lift, 33" BFGs, and a GKN electronic-locking front differential.

A high-quality vinyl will last for 5 to 7 years without fading or peeling. And if you off road at all, it will also protect your paint from pinstriping too.

A word of caution: If you do decide to do this, even if you do it yourself, make sure you know what you're doing. Like I said, the quality of materials and craftsmanship will make a difference when you get tired of it and decide to peel it off.

Here's a video of an Xterra getting a wrap:
Xterra Vinyl Wrap 5 min. 27 secs.

#29134 - 13/05/08 10:02 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
i say you get the hooters wrap cool

i could be wrong, but i think the SEMA xterra is a custom paint job, not a wrap

#29135 - 14/05/08 11:56 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could be right, but I only used it as an example. Really, just to point out that "wraps", don't always cover the entire vehicle.

Hey, you think advertising the local strip club could get me a VIP membership?

#29136 - 17/05/08 07:28 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

these were very popular in Europe; most seemed to be advertisements; they looked pretty cool. How easy is removal if you wanted to perhaps sell it?

#29137 - 17/05/08 07:33 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
At one time a local business where I lived in California was offering to make the car payments for anyone who would wrap their vehicle with an ad. Tempting, but still no.

#29138 - 17/05/08 09:29 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
At one time a local business where I lived in California was offering to make the car payments for anyone who would wrap their vehicle with an ad. Tempting, but still no.
If I were in charge of that I'd make sure all the guy's cars got ads for tampons [LOL]

#29139 - 17/05/08 10:43 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should approach some local businesses and see if they will pay you to wrap your truck in their advertising. I'll throw $1000 your way to cover it in ads for my business! lol.

#29140 - 17/05/08 10:51 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

i want my wrap to say whos your daddy !

#29141 - 17/05/08 12:32 PM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would consider a company like DC shoes, they are out of california and you can call them and verify they have their brand in stores in your state. then do an exchange for shoes and $$$$. or a local outdoor equipment company (camping,hiking,etc. or a company such as calmini and exchange for suspencion lift etc. regardless its a cool idea....... for myself i would banner my xterra with CATERPILLAR logo or even banner NISSAN (in exchange for a off road xterra...

#29142 - 17/05/08 10:38 PM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Local Nissan Dealership would probably pay you some $$$ for the advertising space! Might cut you a deal on parts etc. too.

#29143 - 18/05/08 01:19 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not really into the whole advertisement thing. I own the title to my Xterra, so I really don't need the $$$. All I'm really looking for is some simple flair for the vehicle, then when I'm tired of it, I'll peel it off and be done with it.

Man, I can't imagine how much crap I'd get if I rolled up to work in a billboard on wheels. My dignity probably isn't worth the money.

If DC shoes wanted to sponsor me as a snowboarder, I'd be all over that. Since I land head-first like a lawn dart everytime I try a back-flip, though, DC probably won't consider me this year.

#29144 - 18/05/08 06:30 AM Re: Vinyl wrap on the Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always liked the Gee Bee racer paint job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_Bee_R-1

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal