2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#614494 - 13/05/08 09:04 PM Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was speaking to a friend who was trying to convice me that tomorrow would be a big day for some kind of particle accelorator. also, ive read and they said that some how it was theoretically possible to create a black hole for the slightest split second...... has anybody ever heard of this thing and the capabilities of it? im still a little confused about this. i googled a discussion forum about it and came up with this site. any thoughts? http://www.lhcconcerns.com/

#614495 - 13/05/08 09:52 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I see this guy tomarrow then I know were screwed

#614496 - 13/05/08 09:57 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Creating black holes on Earth?

What could possibly go wrong with that?!? laugh

I despise psuedoscience with every fiber of my being, and at first blush it seemed like this was just another one of those things that psuedoscientists glom onto (ie: 9/11 conspiracies, faked landing on the moon, Princess Diana murder theories, intelligent design, flat Earth society, etc.), but after reading a little more I can certainly see where ordinary people would be concerned about it.

They're dealing with the unknown here. What they find could surprise them.

I'm not too worried about it as some of the smartest people on the planet are working on this project. They "get" things that we couldn't begin to comprehend.

One would assume that they have looked at the possible outcomes forwards and backwards.

#614497 - 14/05/08 05:54 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
flintstrike Offline

The world is not going to end tommorrow. The large hadron collider is the next big thing in particle physics and many studies have been done regarding its safety. Here's a picture of it:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080225.html

#614498 - 14/05/08 06:03 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Wow that's an awesome picture... it wouldn't be bad for a Fark photoshop contest either.

I keep reading it as "hardon collider" [LOL]

#614499 - 14/05/08 06:29 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by clemsontiger09:

i was speaking to a friend who was trying to convice me that tomorrow would be a big day for some kind of particle accelorator. also, ive read and they said that some how it was theoretically possible to create a black hole for the slightest split second...... has anybody ever heard of this thing and the capabilities of it? im still a little confused about this. i googled a discussion forum about it and came up with this site. any thoughts? http://www.lhcconcerns.com/
I've heard of this before. Are you worried?

I don't think you have to worry about black hole creation. If some scientific theories turn out to be correct, the biggest danger would be the creation of "Strangelets" that could destroy the earth.

Just make sure you keep plenty of beer and alcohol in the house. If France and Switzerland suddenly disappear, you may have time for one last drinking binge. smile

The only black hole that poses any type of threat to you is Obama's wife.

#614500 - 14/05/08 12:00 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
All I've read is that they will either prove and discover radical new things that will change our lives as we know it, OR they'll destroy the planet (or both). They can't prove conclusively either one! laugh

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#614501 - 14/05/08 12:17 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well if France got sucked into a black hole that wouldn't be any real loss!

#614502 - 14/05/08 12:26 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Don't forget however that when the atom bomb was first created Enrico Fermi though that New Mexico would be vaporized and others involved in its creation though that the Earth's atmosphere would explode with the weapons detonation...even the brightest minds get things wrong when you are that far out on the bleeding edge of science...

#614503 - 14/05/08 12:37 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:

[b]i was speaking to a friend who was trying to convice me that tomorrow would be a big day for some kind of particle accelorator. also, ive read and they said that some how it was theoretically possible to create a black hole for the slightest split second...... has anybody ever heard of this thing and the capabilities of it? im still a little confused about this. i googled a discussion forum about it and came up with this site. any thoughts? http://www.lhcconcerns.com/

I don't think you have to worry about black hole creation. If some scientific theories turn out to be correct, the biggest danger would be the creation of "Strangelets" that could destroy the earth.

Just make sure you keep plenty of beer and alcohol in the house. If France and Switzerland suddenly disappear, you may have time for one last drinking binge. smile

The only black hole that poses any type of threat to you is Obama's wife.[/b]
im not scared one bit, its just that i hadnt heard of it until my friend and I were at the bar and he starts mumbling about some kind of 17 mile particle collider and stuff and worse case stuff...

#614504 - 14/05/08 01:06 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

[b]i was speaking to a friend who was trying to convice me that tomorrow would be a big day for some kind of particle accelorator. also, ive read and they said that some how it was theoretically possible to create a black hole for the slightest split second...... has anybody ever heard of this thing and the capabilities of it? im still a little confused about this. i googled a discussion forum about it and came up with this site. any thoughts? http://www.lhcconcerns.com/

im not scared one bit, its just that i hadnt heard of it until my friend and I were at the bar and he starts mumbling about some kind of 17 mile particle collider and stuff and worse case stuff...[/b]
Always a good mix for conversation--Beer and theoretical physics... laugh

#614505 - 14/05/08 01:12 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

im not scared one bit, its just that i hadnt heard of it until my friend and I were at the bar and he starts mumbling about some kind of 17 mile particle collider and stuff and worse case stuff...
From now on talk to the girls in the bar.

The scariest topic that could come up would be the upcoming "Sex and the City" movie. laugh

#614506 - 14/05/08 03:12 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would suck most for Astronauts up there right now. Imagine the look on the poor guys face when he looks out the window tomorrow and earth isn't there anymore!

That would go down as one of the biggest "Oh Shit" moments.

#614507 - 14/05/08 05:49 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can't wait to see what kind of data this thing gives us. There's talk of confirming the existence of the Higgs boson ("god particle") and others. Should be very exciting. If the Higgs boson is found, the possibility for a unified theory becomes avaliable.

I am looking to see if it confirms the existance of two particles (or waves, or wave-particles, depending on how you think of quantum phycics) occupying the same space at the same time. That was a point of contension in an earlier physics thread here (I still think it is possible).

This collider could change the basic guesses we currently use about the world of quantum physics. It could change everything we know. Amazing what we can do today...

#614508 - 14/05/08 06:08 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
NY Madman Offline

"Can it core a apple?"

#614509 - 15/05/08 06:49 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Quote:

That's truly a tasteless observation. I don't like Obama any more than you do but that's over the line, especially if you expect to be taken seriously by adults having rational conversations.

#614510 - 15/05/08 07:56 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are we still alive? Or is this now an alternate universe or somethin? France still there? Damn

#614511 - 15/05/08 10:57 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:

Quote:

[b]The only black hole that poses any type of threat to you is Obama's wife.
That's truly a tasteless observation. I don't like Obama any more than you do but that's over the line, especially if you expect to be taken seriously by adults having rational conversations.[/b]
It was meant to be humorous, but it wasn't meant for politically correct liberal twats. I'm not surprised someone like you didn't see the humor.

If you don't like it and think it is tasteless, that is too fucking bad about you.

#614512 - 15/05/08 11:28 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
It was meant to be humorous, but it wasn't meant for politically correct liberal twats. I'm not surprised someone like you didn't see the humor.

If you don't like it and think it is tasteless, that is too fucking bad about you.
This coming from Mr. Snuff Film himself. :rolleyes:

NY Madman, your years on the force obviously desensitized you to the extent that you no longer recognize socially-acceptable norms. I recommend some long-term PTSD counseling.

#614513 - 15/05/08 12:07 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Are we still alive? Or is this now an alternate universe or somethin? France still there? Damn
Spoken like a true Brit! [Spit]

#614514 - 15/05/08 01:20 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]
Quote:

[b]The only black hole that poses any type of threat to you is Obama's wife.
That's truly a tasteless observation. I don't like Obama any more than you do but that's over the line, especially if you expect to be taken seriously by adults having rational conversations.[/b]

If you don't like it and think it is tasteless, that is too fucking bad about you.[/b]
Right, pass it off as humor and personally attack anyone who dares to point out your juvenile nature. I'm used to your BS so fire away. All you'll do (yet again) is demonstrate the exact point I'm making.

#614515 - 15/05/08 01:55 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

Right, pass it off as humor and personally attack anyone who dares to point out your juvenile nature. I'm used to your BS so fire away. All you'll do (yet again) is demonstrate the exact point I'm making.
Yeah... It was funny. It was very funny.

If you found it tasteless or juvenile then that is too bad. If you are that overly sensitive then keep your critiques and comments to yourself.

#614516 - 15/05/08 02:03 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]Right, pass it off as humor and personally attack anyone who dares to point out your juvenile nature. I'm used to your BS so fire away. All you'll do (yet again) is demonstrate the exact point I'm making.
Yeah... It was funny. It was very funny.

If you found it tasteless or juvenile then that is too bad. If you are that overly sensitive then keep your critiques and comments to yourself.[/b]
I'm not the one whose posts here suggest hypersensitivity.

#614517 - 16/05/08 03:00 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

so appearently something happened and they postponed it for something like 55 days or something like that.

#614518 - 19/05/08 07:11 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider
Anonymous
Unregistered

Madman she is the most dangerous hole that happens to be black. Get it right racist. [Finger]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal