Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#586193 - 11/03/10 07:46 AM im such a noob
jsnod25 Offline

ok well i just bought an 06 SE with 50k miles for 16,500 which is pretty good where im from, list price was 19k... anyways i love the X-Terra, and have driven one of my friends X-Games Editions around and loved it. My wife really wanted an SUV and we like to do alot of camping, but not KOA style.. So the X was a win win for us. But me being such a noob, i assumed that they came standard with 4x4... this is not the case, as you all know. So mine is 4x2 as they call it... and as dissapointing as that is, i dont want to take it back because it has all the possible upgrades the SE can come with except the 4x4 package, and has the lowest mileage of any of them we could find in our price range. So my question is this, even though im not planning on climbing steep rock facesm, driving through river beds or getting in mud up to my waist, is it still a decent offroad capable truck for simple trails and such? or am i going to get stuck in the hills just as easily with a honda accord? If i cant go off road in the least i might have to sacrifice many of the benefits of this truck to find a 4x4 one... i have 28 days left to do so. Simply put can i go off the pavement onto a rough dirt road and still have fun and not get stuck?

#586194 - 11/03/10 08:48 AM Re: im such a noob [Re: jsnod25]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
The 2wd Xterra is still a capable vehicle. You may want to add some better tires than stock, an All Terrain tire will help improve traction. It should handle rough logging roads and mild rocky terrain pretty well. You'll probably have issues climbing steep hills with loose dirt or rocks.

-Michael

#586195 - 11/03/10 08:58 AM Re: im such a noob [Re: swampwrecker]
jsnod25 Offline

Good to know Michael, do you suggest any tires in specific that i should look at? Also i notice your in the Mid Atlantic Club, im in Va Beach/Norfolk, so i would be interested in whats available out here for clubs/activites with the xterra community.

#586196 - 12/03/10 06:29 AM Re: im such a noob [Re: jsnod25]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
I've always liked BFG ATs. They are a very good street tire and do pretty well for light off-road use.

The Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club has pretty much died off. You may want to look into The Virginia Xterra Club. Not sure if they're still active or not. At least their message board has more activity than MAXC's board does.

-Michael

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal