2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#598195 - 02/06/03 09:14 AM Looking for a beginner bike...
MEYEX Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I was going to sign up for a Motorcycle Driver\'s Safety Class , but I just found out today that the classes are full for THE FUCKING YEAR. Ain't that a bitch. I know shit about motorcycles but I want to learn how to ride. A few of my neighbors offered to teach me, but I wanted some formal training. Now that the class is full, I may have to take them up on it. The question is, however, can anyone suggest a relatively cheap bike that I could get for the purpose learning how to ride. I don't wanna spend mega money on something and kill it cuz I don't know what i'm doing and if I do get instruction from my neighbors I don't wanna get on theirs and tear some shit up. So, i'm looking for something cheap and durable and can take a little abuse.

#598196 - 02/06/03 09:39 AM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
Western Brewer Offline

Loc: Rochester, MN
Do any nearby towns have openings in their classes? Is there a waiting list in case anyone drops the class at the last minute?

I'd take that class. I started riding without it and realized after about 30 seconds of riding that I needed the class. Even if you start this year and learn from friends - take that class.

Oh, and I have a bike for sale. It's not cheap, but I never get to ride it anymore in MN. The season is too short and I'm too busy. If anyone's interested in a 1996 Buell S1, PM me.

#598197 - 02/06/03 09:55 AM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
MEYEX Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I checked 3 nearby cities and the way that they make it sound is that for the year, ALL are full. They did say that I could come to the class early and if someone didn't show, I could get in. Which sucks because, i'd hate to drive an hour on HOPES of getting in. There is no guarentee.

#598198 - 02/06/03 09:58 AM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
GeorgiaXterra Offline

Loc: SXFC Home Office
Hell Mike we can't get you to go on any SXFC trips but you want a bike so you can ride. I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR ASS! j/k

Greg
(3) I'm looking for a good female, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?
(4) My Xterra made it on Nissans website
(5) "there's people like GeorgiaXterra, that ruins it for everyone else..." Originally posted by Rickster43 2003

#598199 - 02/06/03 11:08 AM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by MEYEX:
So, i'm looking for something cheap and durable and can take a little abuse.
Cheap + durable + tough = '85-'95 Japanese + 2-cylinder + air cooled

Stay away from the 600cc and up rice rockets until you have a few thousand miles under your belt. You'll live longer.

#598200 - 02/06/03 11:50 AM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
Rumpy Offline

Loc: Bayside, NY
Something along the lines of a 600 Bandit or a Kawa ZR-7S. Both are a cross between a sport and cruiser and neither is so big that you are going to be doing wheelies everywhere. As a bonus, they are both easy to work on barring the shim under bucket valves on the Kawa.

#598201 - 02/06/03 03:11 PM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
ddubbs77 Offline

Loc: Ohio
I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200S. It is a great bike for a great price.

I would suggest you go with a 600 cc if you want something to learn on though.

Check it out HERE

#598202 - 02/06/03 06:26 PM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by MEYEX:
I was going to sign up for a Motorcycle Driver\'s Safety Class , but I just found out today that the classes are full for [b]THE FUCKING YEAR. Ain't that a bitch. I know shit about motorcycles but I want to learn how to ride. A few of my neighbors offered to teach me, but I wanted some formal training. Now that the class is full, I may have to take them up on it. The question is, however, can anyone suggest a relatively cheap bike that I could get for the purpose learning how to ride. I don't wanna spend mega money on something and kill it cuz I don't know what i'm doing and if I do get instruction from my neighbors I don't wanna get on theirs and tear some shit up. So, i'm looking for something cheap and durable and can take a little abuse.[/b]
Suzuki SV650. Torquey v-twin. No fairings to break. Good starter bike.

Stone

#598203 - 02/06/03 06:45 PM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
ccspelman Offline

Loc: el paso, texas and connecticut
i have a great beginners bike... its the Honda Rebel 250cc. It is actually rated the #1 beginners bike. I wouldn't recommend anything but this bike.. it's a great way to learn.

Honda Rebel

I have a 2002.. but really you can get any year even if its 7 or 8 years old. They are really reliable bikes. Feel free to email me if you need any help or anything.

#598204 - 02/06/03 07:27 PM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
i learned on a honda shadow vlx 600 great bike, looks good, cheap, reliable... and still plenty of power for when you got a few thousand miles under your belt.

what type of bike do you want to ride?
the shadow is a great first cruiser... but if your lookin to end up on a sport bike it may not be the best choice

#598205 - 02/06/03 08:55 PM Re: Looking for a beginner bike...
RedSe Offline

Loc: camping across tx
You could also start out with a used dirt bike.
Much easier to learn the basics of using a clutch and shifting gears when you're not worried about some nucklehead running you over. It's also a lot more durable if/when you lay it down.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal