Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#23335 - 15/08/05 08:55 AM Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've searched and I can't find this answer: What do I use to tie down luggage and camping gear on my 2005 X Terra?

I realize I can buy the Load Warrior and other items...but can't I just use what I have now to store these things on top? And if so, what is the best reccomendation: rope, bungee cords, tie down straps.

Any help would be much appreciated. Taking the wife and kids to the beach in two weeks--and want to give the new car its first official test.

#23336 - 15/08/05 09:06 AM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have two gear bags, essentially giant duffle bags that I throw on top filled with sleeping bags and other lighter weight gear when I take the family camping.

I found a "net" that's manufactured for pickup beds that looks like a spider web made out of bungee cord with hooks on all ends. I throw it over the top of the duffle bags and hook it down to the factory rack and off we go. Just takes a couple minutes and looks symetrical and tidy. I found it at Fleet Farm but I'd guess it's available at many places. Hope this helps you.

#23337 - 15/08/05 08:18 PM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great idea. Thanks for the advice!

#23338 - 15/08/05 08:56 PM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

the floor of your rear cargo area has 4 adjustable cleats that serve as tie downs. 2 on the sides of the cargo area and 4 on the roof. 10 total it would seem easy to figure something out to secure your gear.

#23339 - 15/08/05 09:13 PM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the guys in RMXC uses a body bag. Very tough "fluids can not get in or out". He can store it inside or on his rack.

Yeah kinda creapy but try pulling up late and then waking up with that sitting outside your door when you get up. [Freak]

#23340 - 16/08/05 02:41 AM Re: Storage issues
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
One of the guys in RMXC uses a body bag. Very tough "fluids can not get in or out". He can store it inside or on his rack.

Yeah kinda creapy but try pulling up late and then waking up with that sitting outside your door when you get up. [Freak]
Haha, where do you buy a body bag anyway?

#23341 - 16/08/05 07:51 AM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Haha, where do you buy a body bag anyway?[/QB]
I just looked on Ebay, you can buy them for about $20-$25. Excellent idea, and extra points for the quirky factory which always appeals to me, but the waterproofness is the key. Even though I Scotchguard the gear bags, they have gotten soaked through in a downpour.

#23342 - 16/08/05 08:21 AM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Again, great advice from everyone. Not quite sure how the wife would handle the "body bag" idea. I just don't think it's worth spending $245 on a load warrior rack. I still can't find anybody that has the "bungee net" that would go over the bags. I'm in California...anyone know who would sell this?

#23343 - 16/08/05 04:25 PM Re: Storage issues
AverysX Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx
Made in the U.S.A. [Freak]

clicky

#23344 - 16/08/05 05:05 PM Re: Storage issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Accessory tiedown link

Cargo net link

Raingler interior nets
Top notch service and quality craftsmanship. [ThumbsUp]

There's plenty of options..

Thule
BedWeb

AZ Trucks

More...

#23345 - 16/08/05 05:22 PM Re: Storage issues
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
You can also go to Wally World or Pepboys, etc...and get a bag/box of bungee cords, that will do the same thing, only one at a time, as needed, instead of a all in one net...But, I HAVE seen those nets there too in the past.

Ratcheting tie downs from the same places work great too, and are even more secure.

And - the same places have roof bags, basically zippered heavy gauge vinyl bags with some padding on the bottom, and a shroud over the zipper to prevent water entry...and they come with built in tie-downs....I've used the roof bags in driving rain and never had a drop leak in....so they work.

laugh

You can just put it all on the roof as is if its soft stuff, and or lay some rubber, sleeping bag pads, or whatever down beneath the less soft/more delicate items, if you need too.

There's a lot of room up there...you should be fine.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal