Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#629068 - 15/08/05 05:23 PM Ugh...hard drive crash...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I know I'm probably sol, but does anyone know of a place that can do data recovery at a half-way affordable price?

The dead: Lacie 500GB Big Disk (RAID 0). It was almost full (about 450 gigs, if I remember). Mac formatted.

The best I can find at this point is around $3,000 (which isn't doable).

It's full of video files - those take up most of the space, but aren't essential - the essential files are the EDL/Project files.

Any suggestions, or am I hosed?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#629069 - 15/08/05 07:05 PM Re: Ugh...hard drive crash...
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
The only thing I know of Moby are places like "DriveSavers" etc.. but it looks like you have already gone down that expensive road. They will get your data back, but most of those shops charge a high price and usually around $300.00 just to look at the drive etc..

#629070 - 15/08/05 08:30 PM Re: Ugh...hard drive crash...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Well, I got lucky. I tried one last time to get it booted and connected and succeeded. Managed to get the three most important files transferred - 1 project file of a whopping 96KB, and two video files - about 45 gigs in all. Powered it back down immediately. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get some more off. I'm down to about 300gigs to attempt to move. If I can... c'est la vie. Luckily, those that are left aren't current projects.

(When we replace this drive, it'll be two smaller separate drives...I don't want to risk RAID 0 again (and I don't think the boss would go for a RAID 5).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#629071 - 18/08/05 06:23 PM Re: Ugh...hard drive crash...
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you still got stuff on there you can't recover, here's what I recommended the last time this came up here:

"At work a couple of times we've used OnTrack for data recovery and usually (not always!) have good results.

You can download a trial, run it, and it will tell you what it can recover. You have to buy to to get the actual data back, though. There has been occasion though when it tells you it can recover a file, does indeed "recover" it, but the file doesn't turn out to be readable. When it works, though, it's wicked pissa.

http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/
"

Here's a link to that thread:

Linky

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal