Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28080 - 12/08/05 06:52 PM New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to this forum, I learned that when your Xterra's AC blower works only on when set on level 4 (highest setting) it means that you have a bad blower resistor. I dutifully replaced mine and it worked great - but only for about 10 minutes. Then, the brand new, dealership-purchased Nissan resistor abruptly quit functioning and I was right back where I started, (except $28.00 poorer). Would be nice to think that it's only a defective part but I kinda doubt it. Has anyone else experienced this? Better still, does anyone know of a solution? Thanks.

#28081 - 14/08/05 09:47 AM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Make sure you connected everything correctly. If so, return the part to the dealer and ask for a replacement.

#28082 - 14/08/05 12:55 PM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good luck trying to return a electrical component. A fried one at that.

#28083 - 15/08/05 11:42 PM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks - I'm guessing that both of your replies probably are right on the money. I'm sort of expecting that I'll have to pay another $28.00 and install another new resistor only to have it burn out and thereby prove to myself that there is something else that's causing these things to fail Then I'll give up and have the dealer fix it - which I assume will take three days and cost a jillion dollars by the time they track down the short or whatever it is and tear apart the dash to fix it. Sigh. Anyway, I honestly do appreciate your taking the time to offer suggestions/opinions in answer to my request for help.

#28084 - 16/08/05 05:25 AM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave D:
Good luck trying to return a electrical component. A fried one at that.
If he just installed it, and it burnt out right away, they SHOULD take it back. Then again, they are greedy, selfish, cold-hearted bastards.

#28085 - 23/08/05 12:56 AM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. In fact, you guys were right on target. Yes, the new part was defective. I replaced it (again) and it's been working perfectly. Oh, and you were right about the dealer refusing to take back the brand new part that worked for 10 minutes and then fizzled out. They said they don't take back electrical parts. I told them I'd gladly pay for the new, new one and if it worked that should be proof that the old, new one was bad - but noooo. Anyway, even though I had to pay and replace the part twice, I really am grateful for your help. I probably would have just given up after the first time if you hadn't encouraged me to try again. You guys are great - thanks again.

#28086 - 23/08/05 05:59 AM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I once went into an exotic pet store and saw they were selling scorpians. I asked the man how long do they live? He said, "Hell son, it's a bug! He could live 10 years, or 10 minutes! You just never know with those things."

Such is the nature of electronic components. They can last 10 minutes, or 10 years. Congrats on your repair.

#28087 - 23/08/05 06:27 PM Re: New AC/Heater Blower Resistor Failed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the perspective - helps me to be philosphical about it. And since it had a happy ending, I guess I really can't complain.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal