Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#632117 - 01/10/05 06:08 PM Sim card question
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I currently have a old Nokia TDMA phone, 3560 to be exact. I would like to buy new GSM phones (probably on eBay). If I do, they most likely won't come with a Sim card. Is this something that a Cingular store will take out of my old TDMA phone and put it into my new GSM phone? Does anyone have any experience with this? [Uh Oh !]

#632118 - 01/10/05 07:10 PM Re: Sim card question
Anonymous
Unregistered

pull off the battery and see if there's a SIM card in there...if there is, then the tech @ the store will take it out of your old phone and put it in your new phone...
if you don't have a SIM card, then they'll make you buy one, they'll program it with your old phone number and you're done.

#632119 - 01/10/05 08:31 PM Re: Sim card question
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
TDMA and GSM cards are not compatible. You will more than likely get a new card when you set the phone up with your provider. I have Sprint, and they don't charge - but some carriers do.

BTW - I just found this software:

http://www.datapilot.com

I picked up the universal kit - comes with like 10 adaptors and a USB cable. Worked flawless with my phone - ring tones, pictures, calendar, phonebook.... Using it with the rest of my families phones too...

#632120 - 01/10/05 10:16 PM Re: Sim card question
Anonymous
Unregistered

ummmmmmm...when did Sprint start using SIM cards?
I know Nextel uses them and Verizon never did when my wife had her phones...last I checked most CDMA phones don't need/use them...but that's beside the point.
the datapilot software rocks!

#632121 - 02/10/05 07:26 AM Re: Sim card question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't you heard......Srpint and Nextel merged.....like 6 months ago!!! :rolleyes:

#632122 - 02/10/05 08:04 AM Re: Sim card question
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
ummmmmmm...when did Sprint start using SIM cards?
I just checked, and my non-nextel Sprint phone doesn't have one - good point (I had nextel a few years back and was thinking back to that phone).

Quote:
but that's beside the point. the datapilot software rocks!
Yup, I love it. Screw the phone companies wanting you to pay for ringtones... asshats....

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Haven't you heard......Srpint and Nextel merged.....like 6 months ago!!! :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: indeed - they may have but their networks haven't - there are still two different kinds of phones. I hope Sprint moves to Nextel's GSM based network - CDMA sucks, esp. since it's only really used here in the states frown

#632123 - 02/10/05 02:27 PM Re: Sim card question
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah...I know Sprint and Nextel merged, in fact I have one of each phone on my belt (Sprint is mine and Nextel is my work phone/radio).

Nextel, is NOT GSM...it is an iDen network which is based on CDMA...and CDMA (while not a worldwide standard) beats the shit out of GSM for reception anywhere...I can pretty much get a signal anywhere with my Sprint phone...in the network room in the basement of a 100 year old building on campus. GSM signals have issues penetrating buildings...so I'll keep my iDen and CDMA, but to each their own!

#632124 - 02/10/05 10:03 PM Re: Sim card question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
[b]Haven't you heard......Srpint and Nextel merged.....like 6 months ago!!! :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: indeed - they may have but their networks haven't - there are still two different kinds of phones. I hope Sprint moves to Nextel's GSM based network - CDMA sucks, esp. since it's only really used here in the states frown [/b]
Actually, I have heard that Sprint will be making the move shortly to use the Nexstel system. Including the use of the two-way....

I do however wish that Nextels can be used world wide. I hate coming home from trips and finding 15 messages on the damn phone.....

#632125 - 03/10/05 05:36 AM Re: Sim card question
NismoXse02 Offline

Thanks for the responses... all great stuff. I went to my local Cingular store and they said TDMA phones do not have Sim cards. More importantly, I'll have to change my rate plan, but I will not need to sign a new contract. Anyway, is it normal when you buy a phone from someone other than your carrier to not include a Sim card? Also, how much do Sim cards typically run?

#632126 - 03/10/05 08:35 AM Re: Sim card question
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Thanks for the responses... all great stuff. I went to my local Cingular store and they said TDMA phones do not have Sim cards. More importantly, I'll have to change my rate plan, but I will not need to sign a new contract.
Really, what should happen is Cingular should give you a Simcard. Sim cards is a tiny chip embedded in a plastic card. Like a smartchip in a credit card.

They are cheap, and most likely Cingular will give it to you for free. I have gotten replacements from T-mobile for free.

Is your current plan from AT&T? The reason why you may have to change your rate plan is that you're moving from Cingular Blue (ATT) to Cingular Orange.

Cingular is a GSM provider, and CDMA/TDMA phones will not work on their network.

If you have to get a GSM phone, do yourself a favor and do not sign up for a 2 year contract. Only get a 1 year, the phones will be a little more expensive, but in one year you can get a new phone for the same price as if it was a new contract.

Even without a phone, avoid the 2 year contract. They will push it on you, but every year prices drop, and you don't want to be locked in a very old plan.

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Yup, I love it. Screw the phone companies wanting you to pay for ringtones... asshats....
Yes, eventually more people will realize this and I will be in a new line of work.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#632127 - 03/10/05 09:02 AM Re: Sim card question
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Is your current plan from AT&T? The reason why you may have to change your rate plan is that you're moving from Cingular Blue (ATT) to Cingular Orange.

Cingular is a GSM provider, and CDMA/TDMA phones will not work on their network.
No, signed up with Cingular from the beginning. Believe it or not, TDMA phones do work on their network because that's what I have. Unfortunately, they don't give you the benefits of having free mobile to mobile, calling other Cingular customers for free and free calling voice mail. That's why I want to get this switched asap.
Quote:
If you have to get a GSM phone, do yourself a favor and do not sign up for a 2 year contract. Only get a 1 year, the phones will be a little more expensive, but in one year you can get a new phone for the same price as if it was a new contract.
Where can I get a 1 year? Everything on Cingular's website says 2 years. Depending on what kind of deal they'll give me on phones for a 1 year contract, I might be able to go with that. I just can't find a 1 year contract anywhere, except Best Buy.
Quote:
Even without a phone, avoid the 2 year contract. They will push it on you, but every year prices drop, and you don't want to be locked in a very old plan.
Exactly. I'm living proof of that! mad

#632128 - 03/10/05 09:20 AM Re: Sim card question
Anonymous
Unregistered

With Sprint everytime you change your plan, you have to re-up for another year from the date of the change...so you're not so much stuck in an old plan as long as you like the service. If you hate the service, on the other hand, then you're screwed until your contract runs out.

#632129 - 03/10/05 09:57 AM Re: Sim card question
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Where can I get a 1 year? Everything on Cingular's website says 2 years.
Call them. Tell them you only want a one year agreement.

Also, this is a trick with carriers if your contract expired:
Call them, tell them you're a new customer and get some prices on phones with the one year agreement. (you can look online if they list the one year agreement phone prices)

Then call and say you want to get a new phone and extend your contract a year and you'd like to get prices on phones. If the prices are different, point that out.

Ask them why is a phone for a new customer is cheaper then an existing customer. Also ask nicely for them to match the price. If they refuse, ask them "What is my incentive for staying with Cingular compared to leaving to another carrier?"

It works great every time. You just need to be smart about it.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal