Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#663256 - 12/06/06 10:45 AM Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX

#663257 - 12/06/06 12:37 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sucks for him. I hope he recovers.

#663258 - 12/06/06 01:05 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
No helmet apparently. I'll never get that logic. :rolleyes:

#663259 - 12/06/06 01:28 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) and he probably woul'd walked away from it. I doubt he was wearing a helmet. I can see a brroken jaw while wearing a helmet but not a broken nose.

#663260 - 12/06/06 02:56 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

Broke jaw and nose? That's not too bad. Actually, that's pretty good, considering he was side-swiped by a car. He's a football player; that ought to shake off pretty easily.

My question, though, is how in hell did he get "motorcycles" taken out of his contract? Most NFL & prof. athletes have provisions to prevent "dangerous" hobbies in the offseason for this very reason.

#663261 - 12/06/06 03:36 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
If he manages to leave with JUST those injuries.... man... someone was watching over him.

#663262 - 12/06/06 06:00 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet deserves everything they get. And no, I'm not a Seattle Seachicken fan.

Darwin for the win.

#663263 - 12/06/06 06:22 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I ride a sportbike and ALWAYS wear my helmet. Wouldn't feel right without it. I ride hard and know what to expect (some jerkoff may hit you). That being said it doesn't matter if you are going two miles down the road or 200, shit can happen to you.

Yes, he has the free will to not wear one, but as a professional athlete, with others depending on him - it is a dick move.

Bad move Ben, bad move......

Stone

#663264 - 12/06/06 06:53 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

Listening to Rome this morning, he said that in past interviews Ben has said that he doesn't like to wear a helmet when he rides...so good bet that he didn't wear one this morning....oh and Rome was supposed to interview him this morning too

#663265 - 12/06/06 06:54 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Seatbelts are required by law, why the hell aren't helmets?? I'd love to get a bike but there's too many idiots on the road. You could be the best rider in the world as it takes is an old lady yapping on a cell phone(yes. I've seen it. Great combination!) Even though he's a Steeler, I hope hecomes out of this okay and can resume his career......in the NFC. :p

#663266 - 12/06/06 07:08 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
Seatbelts are required by law, why the hell aren't helmets?? I'd love to get a bike but there's too many idiots on the road. You could be the best rider in the world as it takes is an old lady yapping on a cell phone(yes. I've seen it. Great combination!) Even though he's a Steeler, I hope hecomes out of this okay and can resume his career......in the NFC. :p
Agreed. Bet if health insurance didn't cover injuries sustained without a helmet, more people would wear 'em. Maybe he'll learn his lesson. I always wear a helmet on my road and mountain bikes - it's common sense. Can't imagine riding a motorcycle without one.

From a Johns Hopkins study -

"Bicyclists hospitalized with head injuries are 20 times as likely to die as those without."

Hmmm...think I'll wear a helmet.

#663267 - 13/06/06 07:09 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

feel bad for him in a way as he is so talented and fun to watch...but it is his own fault...like Bradshaw said, put those things away till you retire, they are dangerous and you have too much on the line...but pro athletes are stupid

#663268 - 13/06/06 04:39 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
This is all our local station talked about. We don't have a helmet law...blah blah whine whine.

I think it is stupid to require someone to use safety devices. Darwin would work much better. As someone else said, if they don't use them, no money from insurance or the government.

#663269 - 13/06/06 07:15 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, as if all the rest of the stuff wasn't stupid enough...our local sprots radio station reported this afternoon that he didn't even have a motorcycle license...he had a learner's permit that expired in March...sucks to be Ben

#663270 - 14/06/06 05:05 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
sdx Offline

Loc: Boston
Alright for all of you bitching about health care costs that are caused from riding without a helmet...

Are you ready to give up eating out at fast food places?

I mean come on they cook in trans fat

Is everyone ready to immediately ban ALL smoking everywhere?

Those health care costs alone DWARF any associated costs of riding without helmets. Now before ya go all whiney [Crybaby] on me, I don't care wither you ride with or without a helmet, banning it across the board is another loss of personal freedoms and that sucks...

#663271 - 14/06/06 05:34 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
MBFlyerfan Offline

I read that in PA there were 27 fatalities from motorcycle accidents in 2003, the last year a helmet was required by law.

In 2005 there were 87 fatalities.

Thats over 3 times as many. You do the math.

Ive seen a few interviews with Roethlisberger about this very subject. He just came off sounding like a young guy who thought he was invincible.

#663272 - 14/06/06 06:57 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:
Can't do it that way my friend. The math would require a few extra variables including how many riders before vs. now, and how many miles they rode before vs. now.

Plus add in additional variables including weather and other factors.

Not saying that it's smart to ride without a helmet - it is not - but tossing out numbers like that sometimes does not prove the case.

Doing something that can hurt others - government involvement.
Doing something that can only hurt yourself - government go away.

#663273 - 14/06/06 10:02 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I wonder if (given the choice) if he would not wear a helmet while playing quarterback in the NFL.

#663274 - 14/06/06 10:32 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Tonka Ross Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
It's the big guy paying him back for this:

Yeah - I'm so friggin' upset for him...idot. [Finger]

#663275 - 14/06/06 11:52 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

Karma's a bitch [Smoking]

#663276 - 14/06/06 11:53 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonka Ross:
It's the big guy paying him back for this:

Yeah - I'm so friggin' upset for him...idot. [Finger]
Oddly enough, Roethlisberger will be back before Palmer. [LOL]

#663277 - 14/06/06 06:31 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
Quote:
[b]Seatbelts are required by law, why the hell aren't helmets?? I'd love to get a bike but there's too many idiots on the road. You could be the best rider in the world as it takes is an old lady yapping on a cell phone(yes. I've seen it. Great combination!) Even though he's a Steeler, I hope hecomes out of this okay and can resume his career......in the NFC. :p
Agreed. Bet if health insurance didn't cover injuries sustained without a helmet, more people would wear 'em. Maybe he'll learn his lesson. I always wear a helmet on my road and mountain bikes - it's common sense. Can't imagine riding a motorcycle without one.

From a Johns Hopkins study -

"Bicyclists hospitalized with head injuries are 20 times as likely to die as those without."

Hmmm...think I'll wear a helmet.[/b]
BlueSky42 -

That is poor logic there. Does health insurance cover you less if you don't wear a seatbelt? No. Same difference. Being injured is being injured, should not matter how it happens.

You don't ride, do you?

Stone

#663278 - 14/06/06 06:40 PM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:
I read that in PA there were 27 fatalities from motorcycle accidents in 2003, the last year a helmet was required by law.

In 2005 there were 87 fatalities.

Ive seen a few interviews with Roethlisberger about this very subject. He just came off sounding like a young guy who thought he was invincible.
Pay careful attention genius... Increases in motorcycle fatalities are directly related to increases of new vehicle registrations.
NHTSA Helmet Laws vs. Motorcycle Fatality Rates

I ride a helmet the majority of the time. I support the right to not wear one, though. Because to be perfectly honest, in any accident above around 50 mph and I'm going to be dead, with or without the helmet. I have no illusions of immortality. Darned internal organs just don't do well when the body is slammed against a wall/vehicle/whatever, and go 50+ to 0 mph in a blink of an eye.

Most of the squids wear full leathers and helmet 'cause they think it makes them look faster. It doesn't.

Not to get into a big helmet vs. fatality debate, but before people spout off fatality rate increases and their link to helmet use, please do a shiite load of research before hand. If you'd like copies of the official NHTSA studies since the 1970s, either go to your local library, or pay me a little bit to copy it. I have a complete collection at the house.

#663279 - 16/06/06 08:07 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
MBFlyerfan Offline

Porche, do you have to work at being a dickhead, or does it just come naturally? I just quoted a statistic and you start insulting. You are an asshole.

Throw out all the rationalizations you want. Common sense wins out every time, and so far I am hearing none from you "I wont wear a helmet because its my choice" or "helmets dont make a difference" idiots.

#663280 - 16/06/06 09:00 AM Re: Pittsburgh Steelers QB seriously injured in motorcycle crash
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
I don't rely on statistics... I just imagine I'm Nicolas Cage in Ghost Rider and that's all I need to convince me to wear a helmet...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/ghostrider/

laugh [Geek]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal