Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#11283 - 25/07/06 03:47 PM inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

SO my buddy and i want to put my xterra in the back of a uhaul truck (enclosed not the tow trailer) has anyone done this before? whats the best way to get it up there? (the deck of the uhaul is about 2'9" high)we had considered making a make shift ramp out of wood planks on top of bags of concrete mix. Thanks.

#11284 - 25/07/06 06:51 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
There's no way to achor it down in the back of the uhaul, so if it shifts to either side on it's slick floor, it's going to bang up the vehicle, let alone make it interesting to get back out if it's up against the side of the truck. Most of their trucks have wheel wells you'll have to drive the Xterra over also.

#11285 - 25/07/06 07:00 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen the floor of a uhaul be pretty flimsy, also. Dont know if it would be a good Idea.

#11286 - 25/07/06 07:22 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Yeah - I wouldn't put it in/on something not designed to carry vehicles... BlueSky42's suggestion looks workable.

#11287 - 25/07/06 07:32 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the xterra would fit in the back and you understand that there is a good chance of damage if it shifts. The best way to get it into the back is to call out a flatbed tow truck and have the tow truck pull the xterra onto it's bed and then back the tow truck to the back of the uhaul and then transfer the xterra to the uhaul. Reverse to get it out.

Your still better off just renting a car trailer or disconnect the rear drive shaft and use a tow dolly.

#11288 - 25/07/06 07:44 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trying to run-up the weight of that household goods shipment? [Freak]

#11289 - 25/07/06 08:00 PM Re: inside a uhaul
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Re-read his post and he specifically doesn't want the tow option I posted. Why I have no idea.

Besides the obvious possibility of damaging your X, you run a very real risk of damaging the U-Haul or even rolling it on its side.

#11290 - 25/07/06 08:31 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Most of the Uhaul trucks have hitches, so you could just tow the Xterra behind it.

#11291 - 25/07/06 09:12 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Without any sturdy tie-down points inside that will hold back a 4,000+ lb vehicle on wheels, I'd run away from this idea.

Right now, I'm envisioning the inevitable hard stop, with the X tearing loose in back, rolling (or sliding) forward and crushing the cab of the U-Haul from behind.

I'm also envisioning how many years of payments you'll have to make to pay U-Haul back for a $20k to $45k truck (depending on age), besides your own. If I were an insurance company, I wouldn't touch this claim with a 10 ft. pole.

#11292 - 25/07/06 09:22 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

i had originally thought this would be a bad idea myself and wasnt going to go with it but ive spoken to some other that say they have done it with their own vehicles. with parking brake and wheel chocks in addition to the ties, they said it wasnt a prob for them. if i go this route ill be using the 24footer with a load capacity of 6,500 lbs.

#11293 - 25/07/06 10:13 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

is their a reason for this?
I mean, what benefit are you getting from putting your X in the back of a truck, as opposed to towing it.

Was just wondering.

#11294 - 26/07/06 12:07 AM Re: inside a uhaul
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by chumpmann:
is their a reason for this?
I mean, what benefit are you getting from putting your X in the back of a truck, as opposed to towing it.

Was just wondering.
he saves $50 on renting the trailer... and spends double that in gas

#11295 - 26/07/06 02:40 AM Re: inside a uhaul
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
This looks like you're trying to up the weight on your household goods shipment. Just so you know, that is an illigal way to do and if CID catches it you will subject to paying back ALL of the entitlements for moving plus be subject to UCMJ action. Not a good idea in my oppinion.

Now then if you want to up your weight limit legally (really just a grey area) then try this. Find yourself some 55 gallon drums and fill them with water. You can usually find them on craigslist or you can even try the recyling yard on post. I know the one out on Fort Irwin always had them in stock. Hell even your motor pool should have some empty ones laying around somewhere. Each drum will weigh approximately 450 lbs. so if you can get 10 of them there's 4500 extra lbs for you. Put them in the back of your truck and go get it weighed, empty them out and drive to where you are going. Fill them back up and go get the truck weighed again. Also try to get the truck weighed with the fuel tank as close to empty as possible for the empty weight and as close to full as possible after you pull all of your crap in it.

Axle

#11296 - 26/07/06 02:41 AM Re: inside a uhaul
Axle Offline

Oh, and just rent the car trailer.

Axle

#11297 - 26/07/06 01:12 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Potsy Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
I moved a small car in the back of a 5 ton. Your local train yard usually has a ramp to get into the back of the truck. I used blocks of wood and 6" spikes into the wood deck. Nobody will notice a couple small holes in the deck. Loaded the car with super Fragile stuff like picture frames and mirrors.

#11298 - 26/07/06 01:20 PM Re: inside a uhaul
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
This looks like you're trying to up the weight on your household goods shipment. Just so you know, that is an illigal way to do and if CID catches it you will subject to paying back ALL of the entitlements for moving plus be subject to UCMJ action. Not a good idea in my oppinion.

So the miltary pays/reimburses your moving expenses based on weight, is that the deal? How does that work exactly?

#11299 - 27/07/06 10:20 AM Re: inside a uhaul
Axle Offline

Yes, based on your rank you are authorize to move up to a certain ammount of stuff and you get $X.XX per lb. and it's up to you how to get it there. Additionally you are authorized to move 1 POV (Privately owned vehicle) at $X.XX per mile based on a straight line. However if you are doing a DITY (Do it yourself) move then rather than have the government hire a moving company for you then they will not pay for the vehicle because you are driving a moving truck. And they will not reimburse you for the trailer either. They will however pay for the vehicle though if another member of your family is a liscened driver and they drive your POV.

Additionally you have to pay for weight tickets with the truck empty at the starting point, loaded at the start point, and loaded at the point of destination.

I still made a couple of grand during my last move and didn't rent a U-haul. Instead I hired an ABF truck. They drop off a 28 ft semi trailer in your driveway and you load it up with all your crap. They charge you by the foot. You put a seperator at the end of all your stuff and they finish loading up the truck with whatever else they can find, commercial contracts not other peoples stuff. Then they drive it to the destination, drop off whatever the excess stuff was they picked up and put the trailer in a storage yard for up to a week, after that there is a storage charge. You call them when you get your new place and they come drop off the trail for a few days so you can download it.

U-haul wanted $1400 for a 26 ft rental to go from Las Vegas to Colorado Springs, plus I would have had to pay for gas and I'm not sure if that truck would of held everything I needed to move. ABF on the other hand only chaged me $1200 to use 20 ft of space in their trailer and I didn't have to pay for gas, or have to deal with driving a 5000 year old POS Uhaul. Plus I got paid for driving my Xterra to Colorado because my wife is a liscened driver.

Axle

#11300 - 27/07/06 10:43 AM Re: inside a uhaul
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
...or have to deal with driving a 5000 year old POS Uhaul
Good point... I've had a couple bad experiences with U Haul and their POS trucks.

#11301 - 27/07/06 02:43 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bad experiences and Uhaul go hand in hand. My favorite one so far was having the brakes go to the floor on the truck while going down the big hill on I17 Between sunset point and phoenix

#11302 - 27/07/06 06:21 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did at DITY move from Pensacola FL to Rochester NY, and I used a Budget Rental truck (it was only 1yr old) with the car carrier trailer. That worked out great. I would not put the X inside the truck.

#11303 - 29/07/06 09:05 PM Re: inside a uhaul
Anonymous
Unregistered

We put a 280Z in the back of one. along with tools, a motorcycle, a quad, and an apartment full of shit. laugh

Drove it from Colorado Springs to Portland. I think we were a bit over the limit, Truck+load= 28,000 (and some change)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal