Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#627457 - 25/08/06 08:08 AM CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi CAD and Photochoppers. (I am neither) I have a question, I'm about to begin contruction of my latest slot car track. Its a "biggin", about 18 feet long and roughly 5 1/2 feet wide...

But I'd like to see it layed out in a CAD drawing or some other form... But this drawing isnt perfect...not by a long shot.
Inaccurate:
1) 4 lanes, not 3.
2) The "table pictured" isnt "scale" accurate.
3) It IS a free-form track, so perfection is impossible, and thats quite alright.

So, CADers and photophoppers? Am I looking at a lot of work here? Or could anyone recommend a decent peice of software?

((Please note there are some decent SLOT CAR TRACK design apps out there- I own one or two, but none of them allow a freeform shape like this track))

Help??
MGJ

#627458 - 25/08/06 08:27 AM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well a 2D CAD layout shouldn't be too tough. Basically it would be what you are showing now but a lot neater and more precise. Doesn't seem like there is anything to complex since you are dealing with a set width. You would only have to calculate the turn's and distances. I am not sure what you mean by free form, could you explain that a bit better? I would give it a stab but I mostly work with 3D CAD (Autodesk Inventor) and would need to see dimensions to draw that out.

#627459 - 25/08/06 11:20 AM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having done some CAD work before, what I'd suggest is starting small. Measure each different piece you have, then draw each piece in the CAD program. You should then be able to make that into a Template of somekind, that can be dragged into a bigger project. You can then piece together the pieces, knowing that what you see on the screen is how it will look in real life.

Real Simple to use CAD software = QuickCad by Autodesk. Same folks who make Autocad, but way cheaper and easier to use. I guess QuickCad was replaced with AutoSketch tho in their lineup. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2753027

Awesome for 2d line drawings.

I used to draw simple stuff Knives / Razor blades etc. for an Engineering company using QuickCad, we then converted some of the drawings into JPG for the web site: http://www.camb-knives.demon.co.uk/products/pics/razor.htm

#627460 - 25/08/06 12:06 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
How about something like Visio2003 or a freebie, like OpenOffice Draw?

#627461 - 25/08/06 12:49 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
MaloCS Offline

A CAD application or some vector drawing app like Illustrator, Corel Draw or Macromedia Freehand. Those are your best bet. Download the trial versions at the respective company web sites and start playing.

Stay away from the raster apps like Photoshop as it will be very hard on your computer to draw it at scale.

#627462 - 25/08/06 12:52 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ooooo VISIO! I got that somewhere too!

RE: FREEFORM. Normally slot track is sectional peices, like a 15" straight, 9", 3" etc. Turns are 6", 9", 12" 15" radii. All predetermined lane spacing as well.

Freeform is, there is no "track", the track is hand routed from particle board, so basically, you can make the track wide, narrow, increase or decrease a turn, no sections to deal with. (Easy to look at, weird to explain)

What I'm going to try this weekend is manipulate one of the track designs to sorta "work" with what I have. If I'm unsuccessful, then I'll try VISIO (I ahev a few I can try, any recc to version) My latest is Visio 03 Pro I think...

Thanks all!

MGJ

#627463 - 25/08/06 12:52 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
MaloCS Offline

Here's how I would approach this project in Illustrator.

1) Create my document size the actual size of my table in inches.
2) Draw the different track pieces to scale in inches.
3) Duplicate the pre-drawn pieces and assemble them in different configurations.
4) Print your design.
5) Build your track.
6) HAVE FUN! smile

#627464 - 25/08/06 12:54 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MarGinJoey:

RE: FREEFORM. Normally slot track is sectional peices, like a 15" straight, 9", 3" etc. Turns are 6", 9", 12" 15" radii. All predetermined lane spacing as well.

Freeform is, there is no "track", the track is hand routed from particle board, so basically, you can make the track wide, narrow, increase or decrease a turn, no sections to deal with. (Easy to look at, weird to explain)

What I'm going to try this weekend is manipulate one of the track designs to sorta "work" with what I have. If I'm unsuccessful, then I'll try VISIO (I ahev a few I can try, any recc to version) My latest is Visio 03 Pro I think...

Thanks all!

MGJ
Stay away from Visio. Visio was not designed to do what you want to do. Try Illustrator.

#627465 - 25/08/06 01:01 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I would stick with a vector based program like others have mentioned, ie. Autocad LT, Illustrator, etc..

Easiest way would be like mentioned earlier, draw pieces to true size. And then copy, rotate and move them around to the proper layout.

Then you can print it out to use as a reference.
At least you will be able to make sure it fits on the table prior to construction.

Sounds like a fun little project.
Good luck.. [drink]

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#627466 - 25/08/06 02:52 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:

Thanks all!

MGJ
I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but I would think that MDF (Medium-Density-Fiberboard) would work much better for this than particle-board. It is a much nicer, more solid finish, with MUCH less chipping. It costs about the same, but weighs about twice as much (not sure if that's technically accurate, but MDF is freakin' heavy).

Oh, and I'd use Visio if you have it. It is easy to draw things with dimensions. I use it all the time for network/server rack diagrams, and use the dimensioning to help with correct cable lengths (we make all cables to length to keep things neat). Illustrator would be a very steep learning curve for something this simple.

Probably the simplest way to do it would be on quad-ruled graph paper, using a french-curve stencil for smooth turns. Draw it to scale, then multiply for implementation.

#627467 - 25/08/06 05:23 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
Quote:
[b]Ooooo VISIO! I got that somewhere too!

Thanks all!

MGJ
I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but I would think that MDF (Medium-Density-Fiberboard) would work much better for this than particle-board. It is a much nicer, more solid finish, with MUCH less chipping. It costs about the same, but weighs about twice as much (not sure if that's technically accurate, but MDF is freakin' heavy).

Oh, and I'd use Visio if you have it. It is easy to draw things with dimensions. I use it all the time for network/server rack diagrams, and use the dimensioning to help with correct cable lengths (we make all cables to length to keep things neat). Illustrator would be a very steep learning curve for something this simple.

Probably the simplest way to do it would be on quad-ruled graph paper, using a french-curve stencil for smooth turns. Draw it to scale, then multiply for implementation.[/b]
100% agree.

#627468 - 25/08/06 08:08 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but I would think that MDF (Medium-Density-Fiberboard) would work much better for this than particle-board..
Actually we do use MDF..3/8" MDF...didnt think anyone wanted that detail [LOL] But thanks!

If anyones interested in a quick video, its not MY track, but its one hell of an example
CLICK FOR VIDEO

MGJ

#627469 - 26/08/06 07:47 AM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those are badass!!! I still have my entire collection of cars and track from my HO set, but they are MUCH smaller and don't look like they'd be as fun. I used to have a 1:24 scale slot car and used to race it locally at a place called "Dad's Slot Cars". Cool little store, and the counter girl was my GF at the time.

The local Hobby Town has tons of those cars in that video, and I've contemplated buying a few and a track setup to get into the larger scale. Right now though, I'd still rather use the radio controlled cars. More freedom and not constricted to the same track each lap.

#627470 - 27/08/06 01:13 PM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scalextric was the brand to own in the UK when I was a kid. We had 100ft or so of track and 10 or 15 cars 20 years ago, all still up in my parents Loft in England. Might pull them out when I go back in 2 months for a visit.

#627471 - 31/08/06 04:27 AM Re: CAD drawing? Photoshop? Recc something else?
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
use sketchup...it's easy to learn....make components out of all the track pieces (actual size) and then you can assemble them and view them in 3d...look here:

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

i purchased it prior to google acquiring it, so i'm not sure what the limitations of the free version are

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal