Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34726 - 20/02/07 11:22 AM Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well i was on my way to go wash my Xterra and i decided to make it worth while. Long story short im sitting in the middle of a pond right now (well my truck is). Im waiting on my buddy to get off work to pull me out. So my truck will be sitting in water up to the bottom of the doors for an hour or so and im kind of affraid to start it up after i pull it out because im not sure if the watter got in the oil or not.
What do you guys think?
Oh and ill post pics and maybe some video after i get it out.

Edit: Well 4 hours later after breaking a 2 ton tow strap we finaly got it out thanks to a big ass 1ton diesel truck on 36in tires with 13in of lift and two 30ft 20,000lb tow straps. He was on dry ground and was still spinning all four tires for almost a min before my Xterra started to budge. Before the big 1ton came we tried for almost 30min with another Xterra and it didnt move an inch!
The white truck is the one that pulled me out.

#34727 - 20/02/07 11:32 AM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I would not be concerned about water in oil. I'd be more concerned about water getting into the interior. If the water level is below the doors then you are ok. If it's above I'd worry about the ECU, which is relatively low - just behind the front console on the floor.

When you get pulled out check your oil anyway. If it's any different in color (blurry, slightly milky maybe) then I'd change it.

Also, change the front diff fluid as well. Change the rear diff fluid if the water level is above the top of the breather tube that comes out on the side of the diff.

Also advisable to repack your front bearings since they are likely submerged. It's advisable to do every time you get stuck in deep water for long periods of time, especially if water is mud, not just clear water.

EDIT: how'd you end in a pond anyway?

#34728 - 20/02/07 11:47 AM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

aw.. good times.. You may need to pull your carpets and what not to clean everything out. I hope your ECU doesn't get any water on it. It sits beneath your center counsole/ arm rest. I would also check your air intake to see if you have water in there before you start it up. If you do have a lot of water in their you may want to pull your spark plugs, try to turn over your engine a few times and then change your oil, and put back your spark plugs. This is a lot of work and will only need to be done if you have saturated your intake. Other wise if it is just a little bit of water just pull the intake filter and replace if possible and turn over the engine and rev. the water out.

#34729 - 20/02/07 04:25 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Xterra was sitting on the frame in mud!

Makes me miss my old jeep frown

#34730 - 20/02/07 04:27 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh the reason for going though the pond was i was going to make it worth washing my Xterra and i was over by a buddy's house so i went though his pond a few times before getting stuck in some big ruts.

#34731 - 20/02/07 05:10 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
NuDan Offline

Loc: Not Here
Nice jeep.

#34732 - 20/02/07 07:04 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by TripleXXXnasty:
Makes me miss my old jeep frown
Personally, I miss your old camera.
laugh

All that aside, however, I wouldn't worry about water in the oil. I probably wouldn't even worry about water in the diffs. I've been in deeper water than that with no problems. Still, if it makes you nervous, a drain and refill on the diffs isn't too hard to do. Obviously, the same with the engine oil.

I would worry, however, about the front bearings. Might be worthwhile to have someone repack them to be safe.

#34733 - 20/02/07 07:07 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good thing you got it out, check your diff fluids and repack your hubs.

After you do that get a lift, tires and true recovery straps. Anything less than 20k pounds is nothing but a tow strap.

#34734 - 20/02/07 07:08 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
Quote:
[b]Makes me miss my old jeep frown
laugh
[/b]
[LOL] [LOL]

#34735 - 20/02/07 09:47 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Makes me miss my old jeep frown
laugh
[/b]
LOL! its not bad for a cell phone leave me be... smile

#34736 - 20/02/07 09:54 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NuDan:
Nice jeep.
Thanks! I did all the work myself so im rather proud of it even though i dont have it anymore frown
When i did though it would keep up with most rigs almost twice its size and it never got stuck!

#34737 - 20/02/07 10:04 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you were pulling from an angle that is going to make it really hard to get you out..

That isn't too deep. I doubt the water even got into your cab. Get some M/Ts, a strap, and try it again. laugh

#34738 - 21/02/07 08:07 AM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

It didnt get into the cab it was about a 1/4in below the door and we ended up pulling it strait forward the pics were just of me going in from the side.

#34739 - 21/02/07 05:02 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure you already know, nice Jeep.

#34740 - 22/02/07 05:26 AM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh if you look at the pic where my Xterra is throwing mud you can kinda see the yellow tow rope and me being pulled forward.

#34741 - 22/02/07 08:23 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
I was just pulling your chain about the camera. [ThumbsUp]

#34742 - 22/02/07 08:52 PM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
I like your old jeep.

I guess it is safe to assume this happened to you last summer.

I don't think too many people are wearing shorts and T-shirts in Springfield, MO this time of year.

#34743 - 23/02/07 05:20 AM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I was just pulling your chain about the camera. [ThumbsUp]
I know. I wish i would have had my camera though!
Anyone one know a good place to up load video? It shows the 1 ton spinning all four tires on dry ground for awhile before i ever start to budge.

#34744 - 23/02/07 05:22 AM Re: Super Stuck!!!!!! NOW WITH PICS :)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
I like your old jeep.

I guess it is safe to assume this happened to you last summer.

I don't think too many people are wearing shorts and T-shirts in Springfield, MO this time of year.
Nope just a few days ago. Feb 20th. It was in the 60's after being snowy and super cold for the past month. We are just having some wierd weather! First that huge ice storm that took out almost everyones power and now spring weather.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal