2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#597623 - 29/03/07 01:26 PM Tips for test driving to get gift
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Anyone got some quick advice on how to do a quick test drive just to receive a gift. I have no interest in buying a new car, but our local Volvo dealership is giving $50 to our favorite restaurant that will greatly come in handy this weekend. It's only available if you test drive the new S80. I'm the type of person that kind of feels obligated to act all interested since I'm receiving a gift. Anyone have experience that worked that they can share on how to get in and out quickly with the gift? smile

#597624 - 29/03/07 01:34 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

1) Act interested
2) Receive gift
3) Tell us when you received said gift so i can post your information on the volvo forums becasue I didnt get my free gift when I bought my X bc they were out of them... Jackass....

[Smoking]

#597625 - 29/03/07 01:45 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you get there mention that you'd been thinking about testing the car for awhile and heard about this promotion and figured now's as good a time as any to take a look. That way they know you know about the promotion. Act interested, say you're considering the S80 and one or two competitors - maybe an e-class and 5-series. Test the car and act like you're really interested, but then say since its the first car you've looked at you can't buy yet. Ask for the salesman's card and exit stage left, being sure to get the gift card too. Bon apetite.

That's how I'd approach it, anyway.

#597626 - 29/03/07 01:53 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has been my experience that each dealer is different. I've had some dealers that would almost refuse to give me the test drive gift unless they pulled my credit to see if I would even qualify to purchase the vehicle (those companies got a letter to corporate headquarters from yours truly), and some will give you the gift just for looking at the sticker on the car, and not even driving it.

Just go there, act interested, test drive, get your gift, and say you have to think it over, or tell them you have to run it by your wife! All men can relate to that!

#597627 - 29/03/07 02:00 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
great pyr-hauler Offline

Loc: Illinois
How about you quit being a low life scum and actually just pay for your meal instead of looking for free handouts?

Geez, our country is becoming one big "how can I scam my way to free crap" pile of shit.

Doesn't anyone just do the right thing anymore? Who raised you people?

#597628 - 29/03/07 02:23 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

He's not scamming them. They are GIVING AWAY these certificates. So what if he isn't actually interested in the car. The only reason they have these promotions is to get people who AREN'T interested in these cars into the dealership so they can make a sales pitch.

Nismo, take pnw's advice, mention the competitors and how its your first stop on a long car search process.

When we were looking at SUV's a few years ago for my mom, we went to the lexus dealership looking at the RX330. Drove it, didn't care for it much. We were ready to leave, when my dad said "hey let's try the GX470, just for the sheer hell of it, it seems like a nice car. my mom had zero interest in it. We bought one two weeks later. Thats why they have promotions, to get suck the suckers in and woo them with zero percent financing

#597629 - 29/03/07 02:25 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
great pyr-hauler Offline

I have no interest in buying a new car..........

I don't expect too many people to understand what I'm saying, which is exactly why I'm saying it.

#597630 - 29/03/07 02:47 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by great pyr-hauler:
I have no interest in buying a new car..........

I don't expect too many people to understand what I'm saying, which is exactly why I'm saying it.
And you sound like a dick saying it :rolleyes:

#597631 - 29/03/07 02:54 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
GrayHam Offline

Several years ago, KIA was giving away "LOTR" DVDs (crappy full-screen versions) free with a test-drive.

I had no intention of pretending to actually want one of those pieces of crap (the car), but since they offered it, I was game to take 'em up on it.

I walked into the showroom, and told the receptionist I'd like to do the test-drive.

"For the DVD?" she asked. Yes, ma'am.

She had me wait for a salesperson. A couple minutes later, he walks out with a voucher to send in for the DVD, already signed, thanked me for coming in, and walked off.

I doubt anyone at the dealership cares if you test-drive the car. They'd prob'ly give you the freebie and get you out of there so they can spend their time on a real possible sale.

#597632 - 29/03/07 03:15 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Quote:
How about you quit being a low life scum and actually just pay for your meal instead of looking for free handouts?

Geez, our country is becoming one big "how can I scam my way to free crap" pile of shit.

Doesn't anyone just do the right thing anymore? Who raised you people?

Did it ever occur to you that the fine folks at Volvo already know that people will show up only for the vouchers, but they also know that a certain percentage of these people can, and do, actually end up enjoying the test drive and eventually purchase a volvo?

Half the battle is getting people on the lot. At any cost.

And calling someone a low life scum because they're doing exactly what Volvo wants him to do is kinda harsh - even for this place. Not cool. [ThumbsDown]

#597633 - 29/03/07 04:00 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

I test drove a Volvo for a $50 gift certificate from Amazon. I walked right up to the salesman told him I love my 4x4, had no intention of buying a Volvo, and asked him to fill out the dealer info on my voucher. We got into a S40. I drove it around the block (less than a half mile). He signed my voucher. I got new computer speakers.

I didn't feel the least bit shady about it. They sent me the offer...

Don't even bother bullshiting the salesman. If you do that, then you really are wasting his time and being a dick. If you want to guarentee that you're not getting in the way of a legitimate sale, go during an odd hour when they're not busy.

#597634 - 29/03/07 06:35 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
NismoXse02 Offline

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'm best to go with the last one. I'm not that great of a bs'er. If I just say that I'm a year or two away from replacing my current Volvo, but it doesn't hurt to look now. Besides, I am really interested in feeling how the first Volvo V8 drives. I've always wanted a V8 and have never had one. This deal is only for current Volvo owners (or so they say), so they've already seemed to have limited this offer. We'll see. I'm going over there tomorrow.

As for great pyr-hauler, you're right. I forgot that they put "This offer is for serious buyers only." Oh wait... they didn't. [Freak] I guess I need to stay off websites like slickdeals and spoofee and quit getting deals on everything I buy. I should also never turn in rebates, especially the ones that bring it back to zero (F.A.R.). :rolleyes:

#597635 - 29/03/07 07:11 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
GrayHam Offline

Automobile manufacturers have a specific marketing and promotions budget.

The "freebies" they give away come out of this budget.

Volvo is NOT being taken advantage of.

#597636 - 30/03/07 05:52 AM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
great pyr-hauler Offline

I agree, "low life scum" was way out of line...but the whole damn country seems obsessed with "I'll stand in line for 2 hours so I can get a free can of soda."

To me theres a big difference between buying something and sending in a rebate and pretending to be interested in something just to get something free. It's not illegal, you're not doing anything wrong...but you aren't doing anything right either.

I've said my piece...carry on.

#597637 - 30/03/07 06:55 AM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
babyX Offline

I still don't see what's wrong with it. Take a test drive, get a voucher. Nobody's getting hurt here... and there's no need to lie. Taking a test drive doesn't obligate you to purchase anything. Besides, if you're struggling a little bit and could really use that $10 free lunch (the promotion at our local Kia dealer), why the hell not?

#597638 - 30/03/07 08:57 AM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Quote:
I agree, "low life scum" was way out of line...but the whole damn country seems obsessed with "I'll stand in line for 2 hours so I can get a free can of soda."

I just heard on the news that Americans spend something like $1.07 for every $1.00 we earn. No other country spends like that.

We could actually use a few more people willing to spend two hours in line for a can of soda. When hyperconsumers file for bankruptcy, we all end up paying for it.

#597639 - 30/03/07 09:37 AM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
great pyr-hauler Offline

I never try to scheme my way for these free deals and I'm probably the exact opposite of a hyperconsumer, so I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

I agree though that people are spending too much and we are do for a crash because of it....actually I'm kind of looking forward to it.

#597640 - 30/03/07 10:31 AM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
NismoXse02 Offline

Just to add what's already been said, here's a little more clarification. The flyer very clearly says at the top: "Private Preview. The first line says "As a preferred customer of DeMontrondVolvo in Houston, we would like to invite you to preview the exciting new Volvo S80" and then goes on to tell a little about it. It then says "And, to thank you for taking the time to preview this fabulus new vehicle, we have a special gift waiting for you...". Only at the end does it say "If you decide to purchase your all new Volvo S80, receive a $2000 Volvo Loyalty Bonus"... something about $349/mo w/ only $3200 due at signing. As someone who tries to be honest all the time (usually gets me in trouble), I see no problem with this. The point of this thread was to avoid the sales people b.s. and get some tips. I'm usually too nice to them and usually have a bullseye on my back as being a sucker. I'd like to avoid that crap. smile

Well, I'm going to check it out. I'll post later how it went.

#597641 - 30/03/07 02:14 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I agree though that people are spending too much and we are do for a crash because of it....actually I'm kind of looking forward to it.
I hate it when we're do for a crash. [Finger]

#597642 - 30/03/07 07:02 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
NismoXse02 Offline

After all that, they were "currently out of them" but said they were going to be getting more in. :rolleyes: We'll see, but I won't hold my breath.

#597643 - 30/03/07 09:10 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Did anyone get the Xterra backpack or FRS radios offered with a test drive back in 2000? smile
That's one for you old-timers. laugh

Still using my backpack, and so is my brother.
Only I ended up buying my truck, just not from that dealership.

Freebies are freebies.. Who cares?!
I got my $50 and $100 savings bonds from Chevy when the Impala came out. Didnt need to test drive it either.
And I remember the LOTR give out, I was too late for that one. frown

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#597644 - 31/03/07 06:11 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by B.:
I test drove a Volvo for a $50 gift certificate from Amazon. I walked right up to the salesman told him I love my 4x4, had no intention of buying a Volvo, and asked him to fill out the dealer info on my voucher. We got into a S40. I drove it around the block (less than a half mile). He signed my voucher. I got new computer speakers.

I didn't feel the least bit shady about it. They sent me the offer...

Don't even bother bullshiting the salesman. If you do that, then you really are wasting his time and being a dick. If you want to guarentee that you're not getting in the way of a legitimate sale, go during an odd hour when they're not busy.
DAYUM!

You hit the nail right on the head!

Nismo:

Don't even BS 'em. Tell them you are test driving just for the gift cert. They get lotsa people like that.

I recommend trying the new S80 or an S60R. I own the latter and test drove the former the other day. All I can say is it was impressive to say the least. I felt like I was driving a Bentley or something. And Volvo's first V8 offering in the U.S. had plenty of getupandgo......

2007 S80; 311 BHP V8

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
Quote:
[b]I agree, "low life scum" was way out of line......
....Americans spend ...$1.07 for every $1.00 we earn.....[/b]
I wish!!!

I earn $1.00, give $0.60 to Uncle Sam, give $0.30 to the mortgage and still had $0.17 left over for an SAS. Maybe my math skills are getting me in trouble.... [Too much XOC]

#597645 - 31/03/07 07:04 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

the new v8 is ok but i think the s60r still has alot more ooomph. I think the s80 is lugging around to much weight. I could think of alot more cars i would want for that price. volvo's awd systems still got my weary. Angle gears go out all the time. The newers ones are not to bad but the early models look out!! IF you even put on a new tire and the 3 others are worn half tread (say you have a flat and need 1 tire)...sorry...i know this thread wasnt really about volvos! lol

#597646 - 31/03/07 07:09 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

speaking of volvo.....i walk into work the other day to find this sitting on our lot.its the IPD sema car from 2005. 400+hp, air suspension, 20" bfg a/t. It has the R motor in it with water injection. Now im way off topic. sorry guys.

oh yeah..we also have the new c30!

#597647 - 31/03/07 07:30 PM Re: Tips for test driving to get gift
Anonymous
Unregistered

The soccermommy in me says HELL YEAH!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal