Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32101 - 18/04/07 12:01 PM 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys-just got my truck (2002 SE 4x4) serviced. Just an oil change. Mileage is at 56K. I'm coming up to a major service and they gave me an estimate. I had to have my diapers changed when I got the estimate. They are charging almost 1K for the service, not including belts. They are telling me that my a/c belt, alt belt and power steering are cracking and well need to be replaced "soon." Back in NJ, I obviously had a 30K major service done and I don't remember it being that expensive. I'm still looking for the receipt. Any how-they are trying to sell me on this service that includes "power flushing" of the transmission, diff and engine amongst other things. Obviously until I post the specifics of the service-no one can know what I am getting for 1K of charges. But what is the benefits of this "flushing" that they are pushing and do I really need it.

Thanks.

Just wanted to add. I just called another dealership. Their 30K service (replace all fluids) does not include the flushing service and they are asking 500 bucks. His opinion about power flushing is "based on how bad the fluids look when they are removed..typically we do not perform power flushing unless you beat on your truck and not take care of it." Rather curious.

#32102 - 18/04/07 12:12 PM Re: 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sounds incredibly high. I have about 25,000 miles on mine and I just got a "coupon" from my Nissan dealer for my 30,000 service. With the coupon it'd cost $275 instead of the "regular" price of $450. Even with the coupon it's a rip-off since most what they say they do is "check" this and "check" that. I can't imagine why what they are going to do for you would be a grand. I'd get a second opinion if you have the time. Good Luck!

#32103 - 18/04/07 12:56 PM Re: 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Terratup-yea, that's rather high. That's a after market bumper and some eye candy. LOL.

#32104 - 18/04/07 09:13 PM Re: 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it was me I'd just buy the fluids and filters and do it myself. The owners handbook shows you what needs changed and inspected. A workshop manual will tell you how to do it.

I just looked at my handbook. It appears the service is change the fluids and inspect the rest.

Changing the belts will be about $30 in belts and is easy to do yourself.

#32105 - 19/04/07 05:22 AM Re: 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

If not mechanically inclined, take it somewhere else (not the dealer). There plenty of car care centers that will do transmission flushes and belt replacements for a hell of a lot less than 1000.

Personally, I use a place called Jack Williams Tire and Auto (an American Car Care Center) for my transmission flushes. $130.00 without a coupon.

#32106 - 19/04/07 07:02 AM Re: 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Smearbrick:
...Personally, I use a place called Jack Williams Tire and Auto (an American Car Care Center) for my transmission flushes. $130.00 without a coupon.
Jack Williams isn't bad. I personally don't use them, but I have relatives who havenothing but great things to say about the one in Hamlin, PA.

As far as the flushing....if you just get a tranny flush, Cottman Transmission is ok if you have one near you. I had no problem when I had my grand cherokee flushed there....was about $70 I think.

#32107 - 19/04/07 09:40 AM Re: 30K/60K Service Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys-thanks for the responses. For one issue-I have very dainty hands and I can't get them dirty. LOL. Actually-even though we have been moved into our new home for just over a year-the garage is not set up for me to work on the truck. The truck is paid off so there is really no reason not to do my own services. I had a grey market GLX (Volkswagen) and I did all my own work. The belts were a horror. As posted-I have gotten several opinions and it seems that a 30K service is around 500 bills. My other question-is it really worth the extra cash to have various systems "flushed." One dealership says no while another says it's needed. Another says to wait and see and then based on how the fluids look-then a decision should be made. Alternative mechanics is a no brainer. But my family and I have just moved to a new state/town. So I have no clue as to where to bring the truck. I would love to get a referral. There are two tricked out Xterra's in my area-but I have not been able to flag them over and ask where they get their trucks worked on (for that matter, who did the lifts and steering mods). Looks like the Reno dealership will be the one for me to work with. Thanks again.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal