Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#589450 - 14/06/07 04:19 PM Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I know I would have!!!!!

Miss School...Miss A Grade

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#589451 - 14/06/07 04:48 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Sounds fair to me. I used to win perfect attendance each year and all I ever got was a stupid certificate or ribbon. I would have loved to been able to stick it to my peers who kept skipping classes this way.....

#589452 - 14/06/07 05:27 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I agree with the statement. Please note, that in many cases these rules can be changed or reviewed on a personal basis. In other words, an A student who misses 19 days of school because of a family tragedy will not likely to miss a grade. We had a similar policy in our school and it worked out great. Most of the kids who missed a grade fell into two categories: They eventually dropped out of school or they really excelled the next year. It is a win-win situation.

By dropping out of school you simply fill the pool of the workers who will have to settle for less than glamorous jobs. If everybody has a Ph.D., who is going to ask you, "Would you like fries with that?" Also, bad students stopped dragging the rest. If students chose to come back an study they were setting a good examples for the rest of the kids. That is good too. One of my family members had to repeat a grade for her own good. Years later she graduated with a 4.0 from a prestigious college.

The bottom line is -- it is your life. It is not that freaking hard to show up to school even if you do not like it.

#589453 - 14/06/07 09:43 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a stupid policy without attaching grades to it. So what if an A or B student misses school more than 18 days. They are going to hold them back when a C or D student who misses less than 18 days is advanced?

Nothing wrong with taking missed work home & only coming in for tests.

#589454 - 14/06/07 09:59 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
This is a stupid policy without attaching grades to it. So what if an A or B student misses school more than 18 days. They are going to hold them back when a C or D student who misses less than 18 days is advanced?

Except REAL LIFE doesn't work that way, or at least not n most instances. Try telling your boss that you want paid for 40 hours last week even though you only worked for 20 cause you were there for the "important stuff."

#589455 - 14/06/07 10:14 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
18 [LOL]

Times have certainly changed just look at the graduation rates for HS (50-75%)
http://www.edweek.org/media/ew/dc/2006/ca_SGB06.pdf.

Not saying it was good but I missed ~50+ days my senior year in HS from one of my classes and still managed a B but I was also going to college at the same time.

Next year they implemented a policy where you could be absent no more than half the school year and pass.

Do they take attendance in college anymore? With all the remote learning programs does it matter if you’re physically there?

#589456 - 15/06/07 05:44 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Anonymous
Unregistered

In college, at least from what I've experienced from the past 2 years at PSU, it depends on the class and/or professor whether attendance is taken into consideration. In most cases subjects such as math, science and history classes do not require attendance of lectures, you just need to be there to take the tests. On the other side of things you have classes like public speaking, CAD design, and labs that you obviously have to attend, and the profs will fail you if you don't.

Attending class regularly can't hurt though... and it's dumb not to. Every class I miss is like pissing away $60.

#589457 - 15/06/07 06:00 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I know I'd be repeating as well.. [Freak]

#589458 - 15/06/07 06:07 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by GingerKidzFTW:
Quote:
[b]This is a stupid policy without attaching grades to it. So what if an A or B student misses school more than 18 days. They are going to hold them back when a C or D student who misses less than 18 days is advanced?

Except REAL LIFE doesn't work that way, or at least not n most instances. Try telling your boss that you want paid for 40 hours last week even though you only worked for 20 cause you were there for the "important stuff."[/b]
Exactly! School is a learning and conditioning process for work in later life. It's about getting in a routine of work and follow up. One thing though as far as the excuse process. A doctor, parent or student is not obligated by Federal Hippa Law to release medical information. That school board was trying to say they had to have a doctors specifying a particular illness.

#589459 - 15/06/07 07:24 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ATFrontier:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]This is a stupid policy without attaching grades to it. So what if an A or B student misses school more than 18 days. They are going to hold them back when a C or D student who misses less than 18 days is advanced?

Except REAL LIFE doesn't work that way, or at least not n most instances. Try telling your boss that you want paid for 40 hours last week even though you only worked for 20 cause you were there for the "important stuff."[/b]
Exactly! School is a learning and conditioning process for work in later life. It's about getting in a routine of work and follow up. One thing though as far as the excuse process. A doctor, parent or student is not obligated by Federal Hippa Law to release medical information. That school board was trying to say they had to have a doctors specifying a particular illness.[/b]
I never missed under 30 days of school and missed over 80 my senior year. Current Salary 80+.

I believe that an education is important but more for the "paper" than anything else. You learn more out of school than in. The History channel has taught me more about well History than History class ever did.

Once again, not saying an education isn't important, I'll drag my daughter to college if I have to, but it's not everything.

School didn't give me a good real world work ethic, my parents did. Then again, I was a 'B' student even with all the missed days.

#589460 - 15/06/07 07:30 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Samueul Offline

Quote:
In college, at least from what I've experienced from the past 2 years at PSU, it depends on the class and/or professor whether attendance is taken into consideration. In most cases subjects such as math, science and history classes do not require attendance of lectures, you just need to be there to take the tests. On the other side of things you have classes like public speaking, CAD design, and labs that you obviously have to attend, and the profs will fail you if you don't.

Attending class regularly can't hurt though... and it's dumb not to. Every class I miss is like pissing away $60.
I definitely agree in regards to college. If you are taking the class, you are doing it of your own free will and would be a fool for missing unless you had to miss. You're throwing your money right out the window.

#589461 - 15/06/07 09:02 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

Exactly! School is a learning and conditioning process for work in later life. It's about getting in a routine of work and follow up. One thing though as far as the excuse process. A doctor, parent or student is not obligated by Federal Hippa Law to release medical information. That school board was trying to say they had to have a doctors specifying a particular illness.[/b]
I never missed under 30 days of school and missed over 80 my senior year. Current Salary 80+.

I believe that an education is important but more for the "paper" than anything else. You learn more out of school than in. The History channel has taught me more about well History than History class ever did.

Once again, not saying an education isn't important, I'll drag my daughter to college if I have to, but it's not everything.

School didn't give me a good real world work ethic, my parents did. Then again, I was a 'B' student even with all the missed days.

But you were also in the Army, no? I imagine that you got an education there (not meaning the combat).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#589462 - 15/06/07 09:03 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
an A student who misses 19 days of school because of a family tragedy will not likely to miss a grade.
I imagine they would consider that an excused absence.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#589463 - 15/06/07 09:55 AM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Samueul Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:

But you were also in the Army, no? I imagine that you got an education there (not meaning the combat).

That is true. I went in right after Highschool as I knew I wouldn't fair well in college at that point in time. I went to college afterwards but never finished. I'm currently back in school finishing up my degree.

#589464 - 15/06/07 12:18 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, I think I might have missed 5 days of school total in High School... if that, and I wasn't a good student. I slept in class a lot, but at least I showed up! [LOL] My parents would have kicked my ass if I had missed more. I practically had to be nearly dead or have a funeral to go to to miss it!

#589465 - 15/06/07 12:30 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Samueul Offline

My parents were and are good parents and I still to this day have an awesome relationship with them, but they bothed worked when I was growing up and just simply were not around during the school hours. I merely had to leave the house to "catch the bus" and just walk back home after they left for work etc.

They did kick my ass on many occasions but it just didn't sink in.

#589466 - 15/06/07 04:14 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

Is the work manual labor or not? Many jobs now a days can be done at home at your own computer & emailed in. Show up for the days that you have to put on a good show for a client.

If two people do the same amount & quality of work, but ones takes half the time to do it, shouldn't they both be paid an equal amount? This is the A student vs the C student. The C student needs to be there, the A student obviously doesn't.

If they would allow A students to accelerate their learning & leave the C students in the dust, I may consider being there a necesity. But since all public schools penalize the A students by boring them to death, why punish them further by holding them back because they really didn't miss anything.

#589467 - 15/06/07 08:11 PM Re: Who Here Would Be In Trouble????
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
From my high school days most of the A students attended class and learned from their teachers...hence the good grade.

And I think most employers are looking for reliabilty and dillegence as traits for a person to hire....not someone who ditches out just because "their" work is done and doesnt have initiative to keep going.

This is a great idea...finally some penalty for all these whinny ass babied high school sacks of shit. Most of them need a good ass kicking for starters!!!HeHe

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal