2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38020 - 27/06/07 12:13 PM Removing Headliner??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys I have 2 questions for you all.

1) Removing the headliner? I will be installing my new CB antene and need to run the wires through the roof (Im thinking routing them through a hole drilled under one of the rack mounts) anyways, I want to take the headliner (at least the front section) down as to avoid piercing it during drilling.

2) Removing the A-Pilliar. I am going to route the CB wire down through there and also route my wires for the roof lights and such up through there.

I did a search on both but no directions just telling that they did remove it.

Thanks in advance for any help you all might be able to give.

#38021 - 27/06/07 12:21 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Before you go removing the rack, be careful b/c I believe they are rivnuts attaching it to the 05+ trucks. Several people have had them come loose and spin when trying to remove the rack, and then have to take it the dealer for repair.
Somebody chime in with more details.

#38022 - 27/06/07 12:26 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Anonymous
Unregistered

That I didnt know. I thought that it was up there with Torx screws.

Man if thats the case I may have to rethink this whole project confused

#38023 - 27/06/07 12:46 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
There are torx bolts that screw into rivnuts (which are bolts that are crimpt into metal like a rivut with threads on the back side.

Of course if you are taking the headliner out anyways, you may have access to the back side of the rivnuts if you have a problem. Unless they screw into a channel you can't access. I don't know exactly b/c I haven't messed with it myself, but you may want to look into it more. I know there are some people here that have messed with it.

#38024 - 27/06/07 12:51 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up Lightning. I may have to resort to running the wires some other way frown

Anyone know how to route the wires under the back plastics from the hatch foward? I cant for the life of me figure out how to pull the plastics off.

Got to admit Nissan makes one heck of a truck. Gm's panels just lift off with the slightest pressure these things seem to be in there real good.

#38025 - 27/06/07 12:59 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not pulled the entire liner down (yet), but I can vouch for the roof rack, it's attached with torx screws into riv-nuts and well, of the 27 or so torx holding it down, I got 25 out before a rivnet decided to spin. It was a real pain and I ended up popping the riv-nut out of the roof.

Do not take the rack off unless you really need to.

The A-pillar will come right odd. Remove the handle and pull.

The back plastic also comes out pretty easy, but you have to take most of the back apart to get the sides off. The side panels are held in with clips, and once you take all the trim off, they just pull out.

#38026 - 27/06/07 01:04 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Muzick thanks for the heads up. I was just going to remove the rack to hide the wires (I like the clean install look) but if the rear panels come out with a good tug then maybe I can route everything from the front to the back then up to the roof. I guess I can hide the wires up top with some flat channel painted to match.

Glad I asked before I jumped. My luck I would have 25 out of 27 slip [LOL]

#38027 - 28/06/07 10:08 AM Re: Removing Headliner??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't looked at the newer trucks but on my '00 I mounted my CB antenna at the rear of the rack. I connected a ground wire from the clamp to one of the rear hatch strut bolts. The antenna cable runs from the rear of the rack and down the side of the hatch opening. At the bottom of the hatch opening I have it going over the rubber seal and under the plastic. From there I have it running under the carpet. From the rear (side) door I forced it under the side trim. I can take pics if you want.

HTH

Tim

#38028 - 28/06/07 05:58 PM Re: Removing Headliner??
Canope Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Run it through the back door, down the pillar, coil the balance un-neatly under the seat. It is not worth drilling holes up top.
Imagine someone stealing the rig and next week having a leak.

It is not un-neat. Think 'car wash' or low garage with the need to take it off.

My 2. My rig.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal