Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#619586 - 03/01/07 01:32 PM Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Anyone got any ideas on where I can find a good deal on flying to Egypt in August for our honeymoon?

Thanks

#619587 - 03/01/07 03:11 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having been there myself and dealt with all the beggars etc. I'd not recommend it as a place to spend your entire honeymoon.

What I would recommend is flying to somewhere like Cyprus, then taking a 5 or 3 day cruise from Cyprus to Egypt, seeing the sights there are to see there - Pyramids etc. Which only takes a couple of days. Then head back to Cyprus to enjoy the nice beaches / nightlife etc.

That would be the budget conscious way to go anyway. Staying in Cyprus would be way cheaper than staying in Egypt, which would pay for the $500 per person cruise over to see the sites.

If money is no object. Fly direct to Cairo and stay in the nicest hotel you can afford. It's a shame to fly that far and only see one country, when there is so much to see in Greece, Israel and other Med countries. But I guess if you are on your honeymoon - Maybe seeing the outdoor sights isn't what you are going for!!! wink

#619588 - 03/01/07 06:03 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
My cousin went there on her honeymoon and said it was FILTHY and DISGUSTING. But she may have been lying. smile

#619589 - 03/01/07 06:04 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
MidnightX Offline

And when did you get engaged? Am I the LAST ONE?!?! *sigh*

#619590 - 03/01/07 07:14 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolutely FabuLizz:
My cousin went there on her honeymoon and said it was FILTHY and DISGUSTING. But she may have been lying. smile
Nope - she wasn't lying. If you walk around Cairo you will be mobbed by beggars pretty much. The people are very poor and the place is a mess. Hense why I didn't think it was that good a honeymoon destination for the entire trip. Deffinately worth going to see the Pyramids for a day or 2 tho.

#619591 - 03/01/07 08:04 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lets keep some things in mind here. If a person from singapore would come to the US, they would also think any one of the large cities here were dirty and disgusting, because it is compared to their standard of living. Cairo just happens to be the most populous city in Africa don't forget.

I've been to Cairo twice in the last 4 months, and out of all my travels I will tell you that the people there are some of the most hospitable people in the world.

My vote: Go for it!

#619592 - 03/01/07 09:47 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
This guy I used to work with went there with his wife on vacation. He said it was the filthiest place he had ever been. He mentioned the smell too. The lovely odor of whatever sewage sytems they use... or lack of functional sewage system.

This guy came here from India when he was a kid, so he probably had a frame of reference as far as filth is concerned.

#619593 - 04/01/07 02:59 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
My cousin went there on her honeymoon and said it was FILTHY and DISGUSTING.
Just the way she likes it.

#619594 - 04/01/07 03:19 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

i've been to the middle east several times....and cairo is definetely one of the nastiest places to go...nice to visit, but i'd rather stay elsewhere

when i was in afghanistan, my squad leader said that cairo was the nastiest city he'd ever been to...until he got to kabul. smile

#619595 - 04/01/07 04:33 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to be redundant, but I've heard the same. I know somebody who worked out of the middle east for years. It's a gorgeous place to go but it's still pretty rough over there. The street vendors will scam you too if you don't know how to bargain with them. Good luck smile

#619596 - 04/01/07 06:55 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Adding my two cents is consistant with the majority on this thread so far... Brother-in-law went there and pretty much said it was the worst vacations he's been to. Beggers, filthy, and stinky were a few adjectives he also described...

And Lizz, Long has been engaged for quite some time now... Sorry to let you know that you were the last one to know... :rolleyes:

- Air B

PS. Long, what other honeymoon locations were you and the (soon to be) wifey looking into?

#619597 - 04/01/07 07:18 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by silverkat:
The street vendors will scam you too if you don't know how to bargain with them. Good luck smile
No no no, you got to haggle!

#619598 - 04/01/07 08:56 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
MidnightX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
Sorry to let you know that you were the last one to know... :rolleyes:
I meant last one from the old XOC members to get engaged!

#619599 - 04/01/07 10:08 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
You are. And you were so CLOSE... smile

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#619600 - 04/01/07 10:14 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Sorry to let you know that you were the last one to know... :rolleyes:
I meant last one from the old XOC members to get engaged![/b]
Well... If I weren't married already, ya know I'd ask ya!!! Right?! Hehehehhehhe... Damn, does this constitute "stalking" again? Hehehehhhe... wink

With XOC Love,
Air Butchie laugh

#619601 - 04/01/07 10:14 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate to pile on, but I've heard bad things too. Go to somewhere in the South Pacific instead - Cook Islands, Fiji, and Samoa would be good picks off the top of my head. Or if you really want that ancient-culture feel, why not head to SE Asia or even Central America?

Just some thoughts...

#619602 - 04/01/07 11:59 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Tonka Ross Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
You need to get rid of Pillow Pants. Then you'll get a man. [Smoking]

#619603 - 04/01/07 01:12 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
mineralblue Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]And Lizz, Long has been engaged for quite some time now... Sorry to let you know that you were the last one to know... :rolleyes:
I meant last one from the old XOC members to get engaged![/b]
Got engaged in November 2003... then I entered law school in Fall 2004 so we decided to hold off on the wedding until I finished law school...

#619604 - 04/01/07 01:38 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
mineralblue Offline

Quote:
Long, what other honeymoon locations were you and the (soon to be) wifey looking into?
She's pretty much fixated on going to Egypt for the honeymoon... she's always wanted to see the Pyramids in person... I did however bring up the Cyprus/Egypt Cruise suggestion... we were looking to cut costs on travel... plane ticket prices from Houston to Cairo have been hovering around the $1200 range...

edit: just checked flights to Cyprus... tickets are in $1400 range... eek

#619605 - 04/01/07 08:23 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is still time to find a new wife..........
or look for a happier Honeymoon spot. Moslem country, stinky filthy does not a honeymoon make. Save it for an anniversary. Happy place like France or Italy or the Carribean or Hawaii. The multitude of traditional honeymoon places. There should be no unpleasant anything on your honeymoon. Not even remotely unpleasant. Egypt is a set of circumstances waiting to spoil that. There are numerous message boards for all travel to let you know how each travel trip rates , I suggest you read some boards to find out the best honeymoon spot. Just my 2 cents. Palm trees and umbrella drinks, swimming pools and each other. smile

#619606 - 04/01/07 09:05 PM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Always a good source of travel information. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1108.html

#619607 - 19/08/07 11:00 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
mineralblue Offline

Just to update you guys...

We got married on August 11 and we have been honeymooning in Egypt since August 12. We've spent 4 nights in Cairo seeing all the sights and we've spent the last three nights in Sharm El Sheikh before returning to Cairo for a day prior to returning to the USA...

I'll post pics when we get back, but for now, all I have to say thus far is that this has been the best trip of my life... thanks for all the tips guys!

[ThumbsUp]

#619608 - 19/08/07 11:14 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Tonka Ross Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
Quote:
[b]And when did you get engaged? Am I the LAST ONE?!?! *sigh*
You are. And you were so CLOSE... smile [/b]
[LOL] [Spit] [LOL]

#619609 - 19/08/07 11:16 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Tonka Ross Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
Just to update you guys...

We got married on August 11 and we have been honeymooning in Egypt since August 12. We've spent 4 nights in Cairo seeing all the sights and we've spent the last three nights in Sharm El Sheikh before returning to Cairo for a day prior to returning to the USA...

I'll post pics when we get back, but for now, all I have to say thus far is that this has been the best trip of my life... thanks for all the tips guys!

[ThumbsUp]
Congrats to another UK alum! Best of luck to you and the misses, brah! [ThumbsUp]

#619610 - 20/08/07 04:31 AM Re: Mineralblue's Rockin' Egyptian Honeymoon
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's a good (and cheap) place to stay in the Carribean? We'd want to go for 2 weeks next July on our honeymoon, but she doesn't like long plane flights (Hawaii out). We're beach bums from NY, and were thinking something along the lines of one of the all inclusive Sandals resorts, as they are surprisingly afforadable considering you don't have to pay a red cent once you get there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal