Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#588662 - 02/11/07 08:15 AM Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am beginning to get the feeling that the US is screwed. Here's why:

Oil is going over $100/barrel soon. We aren't allowed (thanks enviro-nuts) to drill pretty much anywhere in the US. China is currently experiencing gas shortages, 1970's US style. Reports yesterday of people getting shot for cutting in line. What would life be like in the US if this happened here again?

Gold is flirting with $800/oz. Good for my company, bad for everybody else. The dollar is slipping to all time record lows. We have less buying power.

The housing market and credit markets are continuing to crumble. This will, most likely, lead to farther reaching problems in the market.

Water resources are drying up across this country. The southern drought is bad, but wait until the Colorado River can't feed the booming populations in the western states.

Energy (electricity) grids are going to fail soon. If we don't build more power plants NOW the US will begin to experience widespread blackouts in the next decade. Thanks again to the enviro-nuts, we can't build anything new.

Mining in the US is under attack. Yesterday the house passed HR2262, which will all but shut down mining in the US. This will lead to increased prices for EVERYTHING, and leave us open to security issues in finding raw materials from countries we don't like. Just like oil, we will be buying raw materials from countries that don't like us. Thanks again, enviro-nuts.

Any thoughts? Am I overreacting/leaving good news out? Is there any good news to be had?

#588663 - 02/11/07 08:54 AM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

$4 a gallon gas before Christmas is what I hear. Already approaching $3 a gallon again around here.

I don't think we're screwed, but there are definitely some hard times ahead.

One of the problems I see with people in the US is they (we) are fare more likely to sit on our ass and take this kinda shit from the government, than say France or Germany or alot of European or South American countries.

US folks are scared of the government, rather than the government being scared of the public. If people have a problem over there, they take to the streets and protest. Blockade the ports etc. Stand up and make the government listen. Of course - now I will probably get the FBI knocking on my door calling me a terrorist for inciting a riot. But the US public just sitting back and taking this shit doesn't help anything. While we line the pockets of the already rich.

#588664 - 02/11/07 09:16 AM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
$4 a gallon gas before Christmas is what I hear. Already approaching $3 a gallon again around here.

I don't think we're screwed, but there are definitely some hard times ahead.

One of the problems I see with people in the US is they (we) are fare more likely to sit on our ass and take this kinda shit from the government, than say France or Germany or alot of European or South American countries.

US folks are scared of the government, rather than the government being scared of the public. If people have a problem over there, they take to the streets and protest. Blockade the ports etc. Stand up and make the government listen. Of course - now I will probably get the FBI knocking on my door calling me a terrorist for inciting a riot. But the US public just sitting back and taking this shit doesn't help anything. While we line the pockets of the already rich.
Just sitting back.

Well, let's review our powers:

We can vote. Which asshat do we vote for? The one on the right that everyone on the left hates and will commit themselves to rendering anything he does as useless, or the one on the left that everyone on the right hates and will commit themselves to rendering everything he does as useless?

Write our congressmen. I've done it. I've even posted responses here on this site. Effect = Zero.

Take up arms against our government? Get shot. Go to prison.

I agree with Branden on this one. This is not a pretty picture of our future. Environmentalists and PC liberals continue to narrow the parameters in which this country can function, and while it's not all bad, it seems to be the wrong focus in these times.

Environmentalists need to focus attention on identifying and seeking out alternative energy before they cut our arms off by fully disallowing us to use existing sources.

The politically correct liberals (I use that term very loosely because the PC movement has occurred on both sides of the political spectrum to some extent) has pussified this country and has instituted an unwritten, yet often enforced law giving certain groups the right to not be offended, and zero tolerance policies are turning our kids into a bunch of confused wimps.

The mortgage meltdown...I'm less concerned about that. That's the forces of a market correcting itself. Lenders AND borrowers should have been smarter. Don't buy what you can't afford. Duh.

The devaluation of the dollar is concerning. That just amplifies Branden's point on energy costs skyrocketing. As our dependence on foreign sourced energy deepens, and the dollar continues to deflate, those increased costs hit us twice as hard.

Water. Another duh. Do you believe that in the 14 years I've lived in the Phoenix area, there have never been any watering restrictions? There's enough water in the southwest to support the population if we'd just use it more wisely. Meanwhile, Denver, Atlanta, and other major cities in greener climates have suffered horribly. Northern GA needs a hurricane in a bad way. The Rockies simply need more snow, which isn't going to happen with current climate trends.

Yeah, WWIV will be fought over energy in the next 30 years, I fear. WWIII is already underway with the global war on the scourge of extreme Islam.

#588665 - 02/11/07 10:20 AM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree on the Water restrictions. That is kinda alien to me too. More than 2 or 3 weeks of sunshine in the UK and there are hosepipe / sprinkler bans in affect to conserve water.

Water is also V.Cheap here. Hike the price up and folks won't be wasting tens of thousands of gallons.

#588666 - 02/11/07 11:04 AM Re: Is the US screwed?
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Good to see you back on the board Mine Man. Hope all is well with you (Oh, and, by the way, I don't think I ever congratulated you on your recent nuptials, so congratulations and good luck).

I'm not one who is in the camp that the US is screwed. At least not yet. There aren't many problems that we can't fix ourselves or overcome. The problem lies with our political class and Congress. I do see them heading in the completely wrong direction. That is largely due to their complete indifference and their being out of touch with reality. They are moving in a direction that will create many domestic problems for this country in the near future.

Things such as the housing market and the credit crunch are things that we can endure. They are the byproduct of bad and unsound business practices and as long as government keeps their dirty mitts directly off the problems, the market will work itself out and correct itself.

The problem with water is something we probably could have avoided with some better planning in the past. But, every time any major new water projects are proposed and have been proposed, they are blocked or held up for many years by the powerful environmental lobbies. When Congress does create a bill for water projects at the last minute, they do nothing but add billions of useless and unrelated pork barrel and earmark spending onto the bill as has just occurred.

Our energy problems in this country are also largely due to the power of the environmental lobbies. The amount of power and undue influence these environmental groups have been allowed to amass is one of the greatest threats to our society and our nation as a whole going forward into the future. This is a national debate that this country needs to have, but is not being allowed to happen.

H.R. 2262: Hardrock Mining and Reclamation Act of 007 as you mentioned looks to be a poorly written piece of legislation and another gift of power to the environmental lobby. It appears it will kill small mining operations in this country at a time when we need them the most. Many metals like copper are going to increase in price and we will have to buy more of it from other countries if this bill becomes law. Not to mention the job losses. These people will make this country more dependent on natural resources from other countries. Resources that are abundant right here in our own country. Another harmful gift from the Democrats, the environmental lobby, and the trial lawyers. Mineral policy in this country is going radically in the wrong direction because of these people and this country will be harmed because of it.

Energy policy in this country is completely held hostage to the environmental lobby and many of the Democrats and some of the Republicans whom they own. They absolutely refuse to consider any alternatives that will allow us to use our own resources. Congress is now pushing and lulling over bills related to the fraudulent global warming issue that will do nothing but make existing energy much more expensive.

Yes, the US is in trouble, but unfortunately our political elites are determined to intentionally damage this country with a myriad of harmful domestic policies.

One of the biggest threats this country currently faces is also something else we can and should avoid. It is the Law of the Sea Treaty . This treaty is perhaps the most destructive and dangerous treaties this country has ever considered. It literally is a surrender of much of our national sovereignty to an unelected hostile international bureaucracy.

(More on that subject here and here and here ).

Sometimes it just makes you wonder whether an enemy can do the amount of damage and harm to this country as our own elected representatives in Washington appear hell bent on accomplishing.

#588667 - 02/11/07 12:00 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Eh, nothing that a good old 747 into the capital on "state of the union" night can't solve...

#588668 - 02/11/07 12:07 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
NY Madman Offline

#588669 - 02/11/07 12:27 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by mine_man:
Is there any good news to be had?
Um...

We've engineered better tomatoes.
Still the only flag on the moon.
We provide 10% of the world's wheat.
No land mines in our rice paddies.
Monster Trucks.
We have the Marines...and they don't.
Jessica Alba's ass was born and resides here.
We try not to let our citizens starve to death.
Our healthcare is expensive, but very good.
The bald eagle was taken off the ESL.
Yosemite National Park.
Pets are just pets here, not potential food sources.
When 20-30 people are killed here, it's front page news instead of just a daily occurence...I'm talking to you, India.
Lots of people seem to want to come here, so we must be doing something right...

In all seriousness, it's not all Doom n' Gloom mine_man. Crack a cold one, Youtube some old footage of Armstrong walking on the moon, and remind yourself that in times of unrest, a lot of people invest in Gold.

#588670 - 02/11/07 12:29 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Shoot, you want something to get paranoid about? Read the PDF embedded in this blog post:

Some light reading for you

Kinda puts a new spin on Iran developing better missile tech, eh?

#588671 - 02/11/07 12:32 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
Eh, nothing that a good old 747 into the capital on "state of the union" night can't solve...

Yeah, Clancy spins a pretty good yarn, don't he?

#588672 - 02/11/07 01:26 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Business has been slow for me. It's like whenever the economy is bad trucks don't break anymore. I had my new house appraised and it appraised for less than I paid for it meaning the Mortgage loan amount won't cover what I owe on it. Not only is the U.S. screwed but I'm fucked.

#588673 - 02/11/07 01:49 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great post Mine Man. We are Fawked. Not only for the resasons listed, but we are under attack from an invading army. Not, for the most part, by arms, but economically. Look at the number of hospital closings and you health care preimums if you're lucky enought to have health care.

#588674 - 02/11/07 02:08 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
This country has the ingenuity to solve many of its ills if the complacency could be combated.

If not, the fall of Rome is imminent.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#588675 - 02/11/07 02:47 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Madman- thank you on the congrats.

You are right on with HR2262, it will kill small mines, like mine. The really ironic part is that small mines typically produce less waste than large, open pit mines. I calculated that for every ounce of gold we produce, we handle 250 times less material and impact 500 times less land (has to due with grade, we are high grade and little waste, open pits are low grade and large waste).

Too bad I spent $100,000 on an education that will be worthless in 10 years. I guess I could move to Africa and f-up the environment and pay workers 10 cents a day. That's the other part that really pisses me off. Shut the US mines down and our companies will go and exploit nations with no enviro laws and no labor laws. Meanwhile the US will continue to use just as much material, we just screw up land we can't see and it's all better. Mining rant over.

The L.O.S.T. treaty is really screwed up. Saw it on Glenn Beck last night for the first time. Where is the coverage on this one? Outrageous, to say the least.

PDXterra - good post. Can't forget the good, it just seems the good news doesn't come often. Add - At least casualties are down in Iraq. The surge appears to be working, something everybody but the true loony libs should be excited about. Where's the new about that as well?

Knight in armor - good to hear from ya. The immigration topic is tough for me, but that is another thread (or another 25 threads) anyways.

#588676 - 02/11/07 03:48 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Enviro nuts make me laugh. They want to clean up the World and they do things like what they are doing with mines and forestry and oil. But I guess they don't realize that if the minerals are being mined here they get mined somewhere else that, where the people don't give a ripe about the environment or fair wages. So Third World countries go about filling up the demand strip mining and clearing out forest without any regard to replanting or environment impact. So in the end we don't "ruin" the land here we just let other people fcuk up their land.

#588677 - 02/11/07 04:09 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Claus Offline

Shit you think you are screwed?. OUr Dollar closed 1.07 US today, Imagine Sept 12 2001 it was at 0.62. People are dancing in the streets adn think it is the greatest, however I predict that we are lighting a huge bonfire in the middle of an Icy lake our already weak exports are going to tank and drive the inflation rate through the roof..

Our unemployment rate is the lowest in 35 years, but our government is blowing the surplus on tax cuts...pay down the fucking debt.

I agree with Madman, the US is not fucked, just in a bit of a lul. come back on this topic in 24 months and you will see the tide has turned..

#588678 - 02/11/07 06:26 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The most interesting part of this thread is how much we're agreeing with Branden these days. I was convinced he was a troll when he first logged in, but he's making a lot more sense these days.

First it was the 180 on gun control...now it's a realistic view on the upcoming economy. Next thing you know NYMM and Claus will be exchanging "I love you man" messages. laugh

#588679 - 02/11/07 06:40 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
The most interesting part of this thread is how much we're agreeing with Branden these days. I was convinced he was a troll when he first logged in, but he's making a lot more sense these days.

First it was the 180 on gun control...now it's a realistic view on the upcoming economy. Next thing you know NYMM and Claus will be exchanging "I love you man" messages. laugh
Yeah when hell freezes over.

#588680 - 02/11/07 10:00 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:

I agree with Madman, the US is not fucked, just in a bit of a lul. come back on this topic in 24 months and you will see the tide has turned..
Well, we're not fucked right now. I said at least not yet.

My point was we could be very fucked in 24 months if I am correct about what I see currently going on and being discussed in Congress and with what is being discussed on the presidential campaign by some people.

We are an overtaxed people who are now paying through the nose with historically high energy prices. We have a political class working to make these things even worse.

The only thing that can stop them is the people. I don't see this happening and I don't see a public debate on these issues.

If the political elites in this country have their way, we will not be alright in 24 months.

#588681 - 02/11/07 10:05 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebeauchea:
Business has been slow for me. It's like whenever the economy is bad trucks don't break anymore. I had my new house appraised and it appraised for less than I paid for it meaning the Mortgage loan amount won't cover what I owe on it. Not only is the U.S. screwed but I'm fucked.
Always TELL the appraiser what you paid for it...as THAT IS what it was LAST WORTH.

laugh

(They will "Adjust" the appraisal if you tell them before hand...and, if you appeal, esp if there are similar houses that sold around you "Comps"...they can adjust the original appraisal upwards, etc.

Do it...its worth a shot....its just like appealing any verdict...request a new appraisal if necessary.

I had to do that once...and merely telling the appraiser what I was paying was enough to have him raise the appraised value to what I paid....after the fact....and the mort. company goes with the revised number, as its "more accurate".

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#588682 - 03/11/07 08:10 AM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont post much on here but am on all the time....for once I can say I agree with Madman.....!! [Huh?]

#588683 - 03/11/07 06:45 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mine_man:
Is the US screwed?
Yes. The near future doesn't look great.

A devalued U.S. Dollar is not an entirely bad thing, though. We will emerge more competitive than before. Energy? Kinda scary. Time to invest in a Vespa!

#588684 - 03/11/07 07:07 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Gas hit a solid 3.00 here in Minneapolis today

#588685 - 03/11/07 07:32 PM Re: Is the US screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XOC:
Gas hit a solid 3.00 here in Minneapolis today
Heard talk of $5 before Christmas now, with the Oil rate going up as bad as it has and the switch to Winter Blend here in AZ frown

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal