2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#585109 - 09/03/08 08:08 PM Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey I'm Jason from Atlanta. I just bought a 2003 Xterra after my 1995 Camaro Z28 died. I googled 'Xterra Forum' when I got home from the dealer and here I am.

The first thing I have eating away at my brain is that I'm not sure exactly which model I have. After internet searching and VIN# lookups I either have the XE or SE trim package. My 2003 Xterra is silver with a 3.3L V6 and automatic transmission. Cloth interior with power windows and locks but not seats. No sunroof and the CD stereo is standard, I assume, because its not the Rockford Fosgate edition I've seen on others. I couldn't find a trim package on the owners manual, the door frame, or any emblem on the read of the truck and like I said the VIN# search either returned XE/SE or SE/XE. Any help appreciated, let me know if I can provide some additional information.

I do have another question regarding a jammed CD inside of the stereo unit. There happened to be a CD inside the player when I was checking out all of the electronics of the vehicle and I didn't think to try and eject it. When I press the eject button I hear quick series of ticking noises as if the motor is trying to push the CD out. When I bust out my pen light and push back the felt screen of the input area I can see two small silver metal claps about an inch in on either side that seem to be blocking the CD from exiting. I don't know what this means and when I searched the "Stereo, Communications and Electrical" section I found posts where a few other people with this problem just gave in and replaced it.

Like I said before, any help is appreciated and ..Greetings!

#585110 - 09/03/08 08:22 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey man, another ATL in the house. I just found this site recently myself.

As far as "which X do I have" - found this on nissanhelp.com:

".......2003 XE models feature black trim around the headlights and grille, with a silver roof rack, step rails, wheels and front lower fascia. SE models come with a dark titanium-colored finish on all exterior trim, accessories and wheels."

On the CD issue...sorry, no help here. I'm sure one of the mods or longtimers can help you out.

#585111 - 09/03/08 08:31 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey fellow atlanta residents.... You should go to the previous website it does provide a great deal of information hit me up if you every wanna go wheeling or anyone in atlanta for that matter.. Hope your happy with your xterra bro if you have any questions feel free to ask

#585112 - 09/03/08 09:10 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, some ATL people.

Thanks for the link surfdog, it sounds like I have the XE.

#585113 - 09/03/08 10:34 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to the XOC! [Wave]

Check out www.noas4x4.com

We have a member's run coming up in mid-April in Milledgville at River Rock.

All of you guys should look into joining. It's a fun group with several members in your area and some pretty B.A. rigs as well.

#585114 - 10/03/08 01:38 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome [Wave]

The best thing to do about the stuck CD is just get a new unit. I've had that happen to a few of my friends. The dealer just replaced it without trying to get it out.

#585115 - 10/03/08 05:19 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
[Wave]

#585116 - 10/03/08 05:39 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
To your question of which model you have, the SE has the so-called charcoal rack and wheels as a previous poster mentioned, like mine in the pic below. SE's also have an extra badge on the hatch, i.e. if your hatch says XTERRA, that's an XE; if it says XTERRA SE, it's an SE. Assuming of course the SE badge didn't come off somehow.

You can see the SE hatch badge here:

And the charcoal rack and wheels here:

That should settle whether yours is an XE or SE.

#585117 - 10/03/08 06:43 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool OK, I've got that, but

--Whats the model on the right???

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

#585118 - 10/03/08 07:58 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's definitely 4x4

#585119 - 10/03/08 08:00 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
XE

#585120 - 10/03/08 04:34 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'm pretty certain now that what I have is an XE, although after reading the posts and checking some of the Owner's Club photos, I wish I had a 4x4 model.

All I've ever had is muscle cars so I don't know jack about the off-road scene ..can the 2WD Xterras still hang out to an extent? I'm not looking to get into heavy modifications but it would be nice to venture off the pavement from time to time.

#585121 - 10/03/08 05:11 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Psilocybernetic:
Hey I'm Jason from Atlanta. I just bought a 2003 Xterra ...I either have the XE or SE
Welcome aboard [Wave]

As a previous owner or the dealer may have made changes to undo modifications or to repair problems, you could have SE parts in an XE, or XE parts in an SE - since they are interchangeable.

The biggest difference between the XE and the SE, really, is the existance of a Limited Slip Differential in the rear. The SE has one, the XE does not.

The two ways to check - the easiest to to look at the rear differential, right near the fill plug. The SE will have a orange oval sticker on it stating to use LSD additive.

The harder way is to secure the front wheels with blocks, then jack up the rear of the vehicle os the wheels are not touching the ground and secure the axle with jackstands. Then put the transmission in neutral, release the parking brake, and spin one rear tire. If the tires spin in the same direction - you have an LSD and an SE. If the tires spin in opposite directions, you do not have an LSD and you have an XE.

As for wheeling - the 2wd isn't going to go places where a 4wd is going to go, obviously, but if you go in realizing you're going to get stuck, and have a tow strap and (more importantly) a group of people who don't mind pulling you over things you can't do under your own power, it'll do OK.

#585122 - 10/03/08 05:57 PM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:
The two ways to check - the easiest to to look at the rear differential, right near the fill plug. The SE will have a orange oval sticker on it stating to use LSD additive.[/QB]
Well I just went out to look and I found no orange oval sticker anywhere around the differential. One day when its up on jacks I'm going to try spinning the tires but for now, considering all the replies, its a safe bet I have an XE.

Thanks for the help everybody. Fun way to start out my ownership. laugh

#585123 - 11/03/08 07:27 AM Re: Hey + My foremost Xterra question
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Don't worry, it's all downhill from here.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy your ride! [Wave]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal