Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#595775 - 17/06/08 08:27 AM New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing like a good ol' science thread. Discuss. laugh

New Planets Discovered

Favorite part of this discovery:

"They orbit their star at extremely rapid speeds -- one whizzing around in just four days, compared with Earth's 365 days, one taking 10 days and the slowest taking 20 days."

Now here's my question... with a planet moving at that speed, could life be sustainable on it?

#595776 - 17/06/08 08:32 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BluMerle:

Now here's my question... with a planet moving at that speed, could life be sustainable on it?
no

#595777 - 17/06/08 08:56 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Fast or not... they're too hot for life.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/06/17/super.earths.ap/index.html

Quote:
They are much too hot to support life, Queloz said.

#595778 - 17/06/08 08:58 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
[b]
no[/b]
[Huh?] Now why would that be? Would the creatures fall off and go flying into space? [LOL] [Too much XOC]

#595779 - 17/06/08 09:08 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
no[/b]
[Huh?] Now why would that be? Would the creatures fall off and go flying into space? [LOL] [Too much XOC] [/b]
What a cruel existence that'd be! [LOL]

Not sure if anyone would know this, but how many hours would there be in a day if a planet moves at that speed?

#595780 - 17/06/08 09:42 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

no[/b]
[Huh?] Now why would that be? Would the creatures fall off and go flying into space? [LOL] [Too much XOC] [/b]

Not sure if anyone would know this, but how many hours would there be in a day if a planet moves at that speed?

I believe you are mixing two things up:

1--the rate at which the planet orbits its sun, which translates into what we call a "year"

and

2--the rate at which the planet rotates on its axis which translates into what we call a "day"

While a "year" on these planets appears to be very short--4 to 20 "earth days" their rate of axial rotation is unknown from the posts I have seen and could be quite long or could infact be tidally locked, meaning that they have no rotation whatsoever and thus have no "days"...just one side permanently facing its sun and one side in the dark all the time, like our moon...

#595781 - 17/06/08 09:46 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:

no[/b]

1--the rate at which the planet orbits its sun, which translates into what we call a "year"

and

2--the rate at which the planet rotates on its axis which translates into what we call a "day"

While a "year" on these planets appears to be very short--4 to 20 "earth days" their rate of axial rotation is unknown from the posts I have seen and could be quite long or could infact be tidally locked, meaning that they have no rotation whatsoever and thus have no "days"...just one side permanently facing its sun and one side in the dark all the time, like our moon...

Ah! Yes, you're right... I confused the concepts. D'oh!

#595782 - 17/06/08 10:58 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
Fast or not... they're too hot for life.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/06/17/super.earths.ap/index.html

Quote:
They are much too hot to support life, Queloz said.
Life according to whose rules? Who's to say that there can't be life out there that does not conform to "our" rules of existence? It was once believed that there was no way life could exist in the deepest depths of our oceans, places like the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Yet, later discoveries have proven that wrong. Nor was it believed that life could exist any where near the volcanic vents. As it too was considered too hot and chemically polluted by the vents. Yet again, as they learn more, life is predominant in both areas. So what rules do you apply to determine whether life could exist somewhere?

My .02 worth...

-G

#595783 - 17/06/08 01:57 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, just think of all the Birthday presents !

#595784 - 17/06/08 02:44 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
And we could say, "Time flies!" or "Life is too short!" and REALLY mean them.

#595785 - 17/06/08 03:13 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightX:
And we could say, "Time flies!" or "Life is too short!" and REALLY mean them.
[Spit] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

That's awesome.

But isn't life the LONGEST thing we'll ever do??? I hate the phrase "life's too short".

#595786 - 17/06/08 07:47 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:

and

Also known as revolution (around the sun) and rotation (around it's axis).

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the moon DOES have a rotation - it's equal to it's revolution period...about 27 days. Since the moon's revolution is ALSO that time period, it only appears that it doesn't (and hence why we only ever see one side of the moon).

If it truly had no rotation, we would see both sides of the moon at some point (because of its revolution).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#595787 - 17/06/08 07:49 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraXtian:

But isn't life the LONGEST thing we'll ever do???
Taxes. laugh
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#595788 - 17/06/08 09:07 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
flintstrike Offline

Quote:
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the moon DOES have a rotation - it's equal to it's revolution period...about 27 days. Since the moon's revolution is ALSO that time period, it only appears that it doesn't (and hence why we only ever see one side of the moon).

If it truly had no rotation, we would see both sides of the moon at some point (because of its revolution).
You're right. Its called tidal locking.

#595789 - 17/06/08 09:20 PM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by flintstrike:
Quote:
Quote:
[b]While a "year" on these planets appears to be very short--4 to 20 "earth days" their rate of axial rotation is unknown from the posts I have seen and could be quite long or could infact be tidally locked, meaning that they have no rotation whatsoever and thus have no "days"...just one side permanently facing its sun and one side in the dark all the time, like our moon...

You're right. Its called tidal locking.[/b]
Right, but isn't the way BluMerle described it incorrect?

Quote:
meaning that they have no rotation whatsoever and thus have no "days"
If you have no rotation, you DO have days. If you have rotation equal to revolution, then you have no "days" as far as sunlight goes.

#595790 - 18/06/08 06:52 AM Re: New Batch of Super Earths Discovered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
Originally posted by flintstrike:
[b]
Quote:
quote:
[b]While a "year" on these planets appears to be very short--4 to 20 "earth days" their rate of axial rotation is unknown from the posts I have seen and could be quite long or could infact be tidally locked, meaning that they have no rotation whatsoever and thus have no "days"...just one side permanently facing its sun and one side in the dark all the time, like our moon...

You're right. Its called tidal locking.[/b]
Right, but isn't the way BluMerle described it incorrect?

Quote:
meaning that they have no rotation whatsoever and thus have no "days"
If you have no rotation, you DO have days. If you have rotation equal to revolution, then you have no "days" as far as sunlight goes.[/b]

Here's what I've gathered from your comments...

The measurement of a year is relative to the amount of time it takes for a planet to complete one revolutional orbit around its sun. i.e. our planet takes 365 days to completely orbit our sun. Now using your example again... if a planet completes it's revolutional orbit around its sun and during the same time made a full 360 degree rotation on its axis a "day" on that planet would equal what we think of as a year.

Maybe I've over simplified this... confused

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal