Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#595102 - 11/03/08 07:36 PM Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking to buy an SLR Camera have it narrowed down to 2

Cannon EOS XTI 10.1 mpxl
Nikon D60 10.2 mpxl

Both look extremely similar, but the cannon s much cheaper.
Any Opinions?

#595103 - 11/03/08 08:55 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd go with the Canon.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=010701

#595104 - 11/03/08 09:01 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Go to a store where you can hold them. Play with the controls and the menu's. Many of these camera's are very similar in specs, and the feel of the camera is something you are going to deal with every time you pick it up.

Also, Canon's tend to be better in low light (i.e. indoor and night shots). Nikon is finally closing the gap, but not sure about the D60.

As far as controls go, I love my 40D because it has easier to use controls then the Rebel, and it's a bigger and heftier camera - I rally enjoy the feel of it (and it takes good pics too wink ) I've always preferred the feel and the menu sysetm on the Canon camera's - and I also like their lenses - they have some really cool telephoto's and Macro lenses.

I took this with the 50mm 1.8 lens - it was a whopping $75 lens:

(Picture is clickable)

No flash, just two table lamps at night.

#595105 - 12/03/08 06:01 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
Anonymous
Unregistered

The D60 is replacing the D40X

i read through most of that 17 page post, seems like the cannon is the way to go.

#595106 - 12/03/08 06:31 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the XTi and love it, but then I have been using Canon cameras for better than 15 years so I am comfortable with them. And I am still able to use lenses from my 35mm Rebel on the new one.

I agree with the previous statement about going and holding them both. You will know which one feels better to you.

#595107 - 12/03/08 06:47 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Lyrex:
...but then I have been using Canon cameras for better than 15 years...

And I am still able to use lenses from my 35mm Rebel on the new one.
This is why your choice is a very important one. Lenses and accessories are costly and brand-specific, so whichever brand you choose now will likely be your brand for a long, long time.

Like Lyrex, I've been shooting with Canon cameras for many years (going on 20 in fact) and they're fine cameras that are popular with many pros. Nikon also has a well-deserved reputation for outstanding cameras and Nikons are also widely used by professionals.

Botton line is either will be a good choice, it's just a matter of your personal preference and how the money issue plays out. It's tempting to think of the lenses and accessories you could buy with the price difference, but for the reasons described above, I urge you to resist that temptation and choose whichever camera you will enjoy using.

#595108 - 12/03/08 11:54 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I second the suggestion to go to the store and hold it in your hand. the XTI probably has an edge in image quality but the Rebel series has always felt very cheaply made using plastics and other budget materials to lower the price. Nikon's are famous for a more robust construction and more logical placement of buttons and controls.

Consider picking up the D40 or D40x instead. It is 90% the same camera as the D60 but much cheaper. Use the extra cash to buy the 18-200 VR lens or SB-400 flash. Your photography skills and picture quality will be better for it.

One major drawback about the D40,D40x,D60 though - is the exclusion of a focus motor in the camera body. So if you want to use older AF lenses - you have to go to manual focus. the D40/D40x/D60 series requires the newer AF-S lenses to fully operate in "auto" mode.

Something odd that I've always wondered. Canon claims a greater market share in the DSLR market. I do not doubt it as most pros and friends of mines are "Canonites". I am usually the lone "Nikonian". But whenever I travel or go to touristy places or photo destinations my personal observation is like 80% Nikon and 20% Canon users wandering around.

#595109 - 12/03/08 11:56 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

have you read Kenrockwell's article on the D60?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

and his article on the XTi

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/rebel-xti.htm

Quote:
It's nice, but I prefer my Nikon D40, which costs less. I prefer cameras based on their usability. The XTi probably has more real resolution if you print everything at 20x30" (50 x 75 cm), but I rarely print bigger than 12 x 18" (30 x 40 cm). If you're the kind of guy who uses a tripod in broad daylight consider the XTi, and if you're someone like me who hand-holds and uses fill-flash, the D40 is much better.

#595110 - 12/03/08 12:05 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
warlock Offline

Loc: Springfield VA
I suggest getting the D40 like what KJ Dragon suggested save your money and get a nice lens.
my 2 cents

Thanks

#595111 - 12/03/08 12:15 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
I second the suggestion to go to the store and hold it in your hand. the XTI probably has an edge in image quality but the Rebel series has always felt very cheaply made using plastics and other budget materials to lower the price.
IMO this is not a concern. My original Digital Rebel has traveled all over the place with me. Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, and plenty of places in the continental U.S. too, in all kinds of conditions. I don't baby it either, and it's held up perfectly.

#595112 - 12/03/08 12:17 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

or for $350 buy a used D70 and be able to do this:
**link to another thread**

Add $80 for the 50mm f1.8D and $200 for a used SB-800 flash.

#595113 - 12/03/08 12:20 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Quote:
[b]I second the suggestion to go to the store and hold it in your hand. the XTI probably has an edge in image quality but the Rebel series has always felt very cheaply made using plastics and other budget materials to lower the price.
IMO this is not a concern. My original Digital Rebel has traveled all over the place with me. Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, and plenty of places in the continental U.S. too, in all kinds of conditions. I don't baby it either, and it's held up perfectly.[/b]
Your opinion might change if you ever hold the original Rebel and then hold a D200 or even a 40D. the difference in construction is quite large and very noticable.

Although - glad that its worked out fantastic for you. Just the popular opinion is that the Rebel series skimped on build and construction. But that has nothing to do with image quality - which have always been EXCELLENT on the Rebels.

#595114 - 12/03/08 01:09 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
or for $350 buy a used D70 and be able to do this:
**link to another thread**
You have to have a used D70 to take pictures of orchids? laugh

JK, the pics are nice. [ThumbsUp]

As for durability, say I have a Humvee and you have a tank, and the Humvee works great and is a lot less expensive than the tank, why would I buy the tank?

#595115 - 12/03/08 01:28 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

Both the Humvee and Tank will get you there just fine, but wouldn't you rather be in a tank when the insurgents start shooting. :p

the question of durability and toughness comes into play when you least expect it. laugh

It only takes one drop or dink to make you wish you spent the extra cash on the upgrade. wink

#595116 - 12/03/08 01:42 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
BlueSky Offline

You have a point but I'll stick with what's worked for me. Especially since all my lenses and accessories are Canon. cool

Where are you in the East Bay? Many years ago ('89-'91) I lived near the mall in Newark, CA.

#595117 - 12/03/08 01:55 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

I'm about 10 minutes north of Newark in San Leandro.

Not trying to say you made a bad choice with the Rebel. (One of my early SLR experiences was the original film rebel!) I have alot of respect for the Rebel series - they are all very very good cameras. And if I owned one - I would be super satisfied.

#595118 - 12/03/08 02:32 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
I'm about 10 minutes north of Newark in San Leandro.

Not trying to say you made a bad choice with the Rebel. (my first SLR experience was the original film rebel!) I have alot of respect for the Rebel series - they are all very very good cameras. And if I owned one - I would be super satisfied.
I didn't take it as you saying it was a bad choice. My first SLR was an AE-1 Program and it was definitely heftier and sturdier than the Rebel series is. Talk about "back in the day":

I really liked the Bay Area. Lived in Newark and worked at the San Jose Airport so I had a straight shot down I-880. Couldn't afford to live there though. We transferred to Dallas-Fort Worth in 1991 and built a 1900-SF house in a nice neighborhood for $102,000. Couldn't have bought a 1-BR condo in the Bay Area for that kind of money. [Freak]

#595119 - 12/03/08 03:25 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

I've used those AE-1's before.

My first SLR was a Minolta.

#595120 - 12/03/08 04:10 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
QUESTION:

I have a stupid amount of Marriott Rewards hotel points... 2.4Million or something. I cashed some in to take my wife to Italy for 10 days and it barely made a dent.

So, the question is... should I "spend" a few hundred thousand points on an older model Canon Rebel Digital SLR (8Mp, I think), or spend "real money" on a different one? The Rebel is the only one they offer. I'd like a nice digital SLR camera and I'm no pro, but I don't want to spend the points for a crappy camera. Make sense?

I'm facing a similar dilemma over a lame brand flatscreen plasma for 400,000 that they offer. What's better in the long run, a "free" Vizio plasma, or should I shell out the real $$ for Samsung or Panasonic?

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#595121 - 12/03/08 04:29 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
KJ_dragon Offline

damn... that's alot of points.

Get the Vizio and the Rebel for "free". The Rebel will be more than enough camera for many years and the Vizio... well.... it's not top quality but its free and by the time it breaks in a few years - technology will have changed and something else new will be available. (hopefully it lasts a few years. Everytime I go to Costco - it seems there are always several being returned)

Gone are the days where you invest in a TV and keep it for 10 yrs - nearly everything is practically disposable now. So if we're talking "Free" - just get it and don't look back. smile

#595122 - 12/03/08 04:58 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
DocNo Offline

Yup, if you can get a Rebel for "free", then that is more then enough to get you started.

You only really ever "rent" bodies anyway. As others pointed out, the lenses are where you will spend your real money. I already have as much money in lenses as I do my original Camera purchase, and there are more I still want smile

The cheap little 50mm I linked to is keeping me busy, though. You can have a lot of fun just with a 50mm, and the f1.8 lets you get really good low-light shots, and play with depth of field. I would highly recommend that little 50mm lense - it's a great, mult-purpose starter lens.

Once you get your camera, I highly recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson .

For your Rebel, subscribe to this podcast (sorry, all I could find is an iTunes link).

I also highly recommend the Magic Lantern guides .

And Canon has some excellent tutorials

Whatever you do, you are in for tons of fun - photography is a great hobby - and a bonus, you can record your life as you have fun doing it smile

#595123 - 13/03/08 04:45 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
QUESTION:

So, the question is... should I "spend" a few hundred thousand points on an older model Canon Rebel Digital SLR (8Mp, I think), or spend "real money" on a different one? The Rebel is the only one they offer. I'd like a nice digital SLR camera and I'm no pro, but I don't want to spend the points for a crappy camera. Make sense?

Sounds like the offer is for the Rebel XT. It's the Rebel with 8MP. It's a great choice, especially for the "price" you're getting. But a question: are you sure you want a DSLR? To even ask would have been heresy just a few years ago because there was a huge difference between DSLRs and point-and-shoot cameras. Now, not so much. We bought my wife one of the Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot models last year and I was shocked and amazed by the photo quality. With the exception of specialty stuff like very long zoom shots, fast action, and very close macro work, it will do everything my Rebel does, and often with superior picture quality and color rendition. eek

Newer models are even better. You'd have no lenses to buy and lug around, and the camera is less expensive not to mention much smaller and lighter and thus much easier to carry. I want that new Rebel Xsi so bad I can taste it, but I'm not sure I can justify spending the money given the fact my wife's camera is doing most of the heavy lifting right now. Believe me, having been a fairly serious photographer for many years, I don't say that lightly. Just something to think about.

A few of my shots for comparison's sake. The point-and-shoot is terrific for pics like this:

But you need a DSLR and long lenses to do this (these are with my Digital Rebel + Canon 75-300mm lens):

So if you're not doing a lot of long shots, sports/fast action, or macro work, think seriously about a good quality point-and-shoot.

About the TV, go take a look at the store. My bet is you won't really see that much difference if you compare the Vizio and other brands in the same price range. Grab the Vizio and go! Keep in mind though that there can be substantial collateral costs for flat-screen TVs (cables and possibly installation if wall-mounted).

#595124 - 13/03/08 06:08 AM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Yup, if you can get a Rebel for "free", then that is more then enough to get you started.

You only really ever "rent" bodies anyway. As others pointed out, the lenses are where you will spend your real money. I already have as much money in lenses as I do my original Camera purchase, and there are more I still want smile

The cheap little 50mm I linked to is keeping me busy, though. You can have a lot of fun just with a 50mm, and the f1.8 lets you get really good low-light shots, and play with depth of field. I would highly recommend that little 50mm lense - it's a great, mult-purpose starter lens.

Once you get your camera, I highly recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson .

For your Rebel, subscribe to this podcast (sorry, all I could find is an iTunes link).

I also highly recommend the Magic Lantern guides .

And Canon has some excellent tutorials

Whatever you do, you are in for tons of fun - photography is a great hobby - and a bonus, you can record your life as you have fun doing it smile
That is some great info. I got an XTi for Christmas so these links will def help me.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#595125 - 13/03/08 08:10 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
Anonymous
Unregistered

All of the awsome shots taken with the XTI and the fact it is a few hundred dollars cheaper have lead us to deciding to go with the Cannon. Ill be calling BH in the morning.
Thanks FOr all the input as always
Jay

#595126 - 13/03/08 08:36 PM Re: Buying an SLR Cannon or Nikon
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by putzee52:
Ill be calling BH in the morning.
Get the 50mm 1.8 lens while you are at it. It's a great starter lens and you will learn real quick what is meant by a fast lens when you use it vs. the kit lens.

And don't let the price fool you, it can turn out some really good pictures - my earlier picture of Louie was taken with that 50mm lens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal