Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#679095 - 22/08/12 09:44 PM I'm a noob
Brendan Rose Offline

I just got my Xterra about two months ago and have fallen in love.
I'm 16 years old and am on a huge budget since I pay for gas and work a part time job at Harris Teeter.
Just like every 16 year old kid I want to have the most badass car and want to be able to out do with my friends when we go mudding.
My X is entirely stock and I don't even know where to start.
Suggestions?

#679106 - 26/08/12 06:19 PM Re: I'm a noob [Re: Brendan Rose]
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Hmm - where to start.

First - be really careful with mud. It's so easy to get very very stuck or break something or drown your truck. Most of us that have been wheeling for awhile have learned to avoid mud. I go around it and look for rocks and ledges to climb.

You want to have fun - but you want to drive your truck home in one piece after that fun, right?

Learn how your 4WD system really works. When I got my truck I stupidly thought "it's 4WD - it can go anywhere!". But street tires (and even ATs) don't grip worth a damn - and your 4WD quickly turns into a 0WD when you lose traction. The differential sends all of the power to the wheels with the least grip.

Now that I have differential lockers front and rear, a solid axle, and huge Bogger tires it's a different story - but I still take it easy. I'm mostly there to camp and hang out, not to show off what the truck can do.

If I were going for mud, I think my first mod would be some M/T tires. Don't wimp out and get A/T - get something with some big damn lugs that can grab onto stuff.

Second might be a winch and a winch bumper so you'll have a better chance of getting out of stuff. Rock sliders are good for rocker panel protection, too.

Third - rear differential locker.

I think my best-first advice, though, is just to go out with other people - preferably experienced older ones that can show you what you can and can't get away with. If there is an active Xterra or Nissan club in your area that would be great. If not - you can find something - look on expedition portal.

Anyway - welcome aboard!

#679108 - 27/08/12 07:35 PM Re: I'm a noob [Re: Kaiser]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
^^ +1 ^^ True that. Spend your money wisley, not on just the latest, greatest thing. Time tested mods are always better. Learn your X... slowly. It'll reward you in the long run.

Welcome!

Jeff!

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal