Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#679612 - 10/01/13 11:02 AM Behind on maintenance
rogerusmc Offline

Hello to all.
I have been ill the last two years and have not really maintained my vehicle lately and wondering what you knowledgeable souls can advise me on. I have been suffering from dioxin poisoning.
Anyway, I have a 2007 xterra s, 4wd, auto, purchased in march of 2007, so it will be six years old this march. The vehicle is approaching 30,000 miles, and though originally intended for traveling some off roads to summer house in upstate new york, during winter times, it was never used for this purpose.
I have original tires, original front brakes(rear pads were replaced) have done oil changes about every 4 months, new wiper blades every year, cabin filter about 3 times.
I plan on buying 4 new tires for it(tires still have tread, but it can use a new set)
What do you suggest I do. Never changed trannie fluid(I check it about 3 times a year), radiator fluid or anything. Just the maintenance I have stated.
Also, alignment still seems perfect. Do I need to do one, when purchasing new tires.
I plan on driving this vehicle about 8000 miles a year, as I am getting rid of my other vehicle, to one of my children, and this will become my primary.
I am having no problems with the vehicle.

Thanks to all, and sorry for the wordy post.
Much regards Roger

#679615 - 10/01/13 04:49 PM Re: Behind on maintenance [Re: rogerusmc]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
First off, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Given the USMC at the end of your name... SEMPER FI brother !!

It's always good to get an alignment after buying a new set of tires, after all it would be a shame to ruin a new set of tires due to an alignment issue, consider it an insurance policy.

If this were my vehicle and considering the time it spent sitting I would...

1. do a coolant service, living in upstate NY you want the anti-freeze/cooling system to be in A1 shape.

2. You mentioned tires and alignment, also a good idea espically if the tires are original to the vehicle.

3. have your brake fluid tested for its moisture content, if it's above 3% get a brake hydraulic system flush. A lot of people overlook this , excessive moisture in the system causes brake components (seals , etc) to fail prematurely.

4. I'd do a drain and fill of the transmission, no need for a flush at this time/mileage in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Keep us posted.

#679619 - 11/01/13 08:13 AM Re: Behind on maintenance [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
rogerusmc Offline

Thank you Master. Semper Fidelis

Thank you for responding to my post. So to summarize, to make sure I have it correct.

1) Transmission fluid change
2) Check brake fluid for moisture content
3) Radiator Fluid Change out.

Question on tires. I plan on replacing oem tires with some different tires. How good would an alignment be at a place say like Mavis, as opposed to Nissan itself.
If I remember correctly the x has some sort of "offset" alignment on it, and not a straight ahead alignment. I might be wrong. And if you recommend alignment at a nissan dealer, will they install the tires, or should I have the tires installed and then go for the alignment. Does that make any difference???

Do I need to mess with the differential fluids at this point??

Thanks Much regards Roger

#679625 - 11/01/13 03:19 PM Re: Behind on maintenance [Re: rogerusmc]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Check those brakes. It is unusual to replace the rear brake pads before replacing the front. The front usually wears out first because that takes most of the braking force. While 30,000 is not unheard of for replacing front pads, it does seem a little early. But the fact that rear was replaced seems to indicate that something funky may be going on (like driving with the parking brake engaged, or very hard braking that is wearing pads faster than what may be normal?).

#679641 - 14/01/13 07:45 PM Re: Behind on maintenance [Re: k_enn]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
You got the above mentioned correct, it also a good idea to have the brakes inspected.

On the subject of alignments,
Alignments are only as good as the technician doing the job, there are techs that can get the alignment specks "in the green" but that does not mean the vehicle won't pull or wear tires.

All " in the green" means is the vehicle falls within the allowable range as specified by the manufacturer.

There are basically 2 types of alignments...
1. 4 wheel alignment, this tye of alignment can only be performed on vehicles that typically have 4 wheel independent type suspension.

2. Thrust angle compensating front end alignment, this type of alignment is done on vehicles with a solid rear axle, like the X.

Given your vehicles age it might not be a bad idea to service the differentials.

Hope this helps

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal