My wife and I have a 3rd vehicle (pickup) that we really don't need to use very often so it ends up just sitting in the driveway quite a bit.

I believe that a vehicle should not be left to sit for extended periods of time without starting it up occasionally and getting the fluids flowing. So at least once a week I drive the vehicle for a few miles if I need to take a short trip somewhere. I've always thought that rust and corrosion would be more likely to develop under the hood on a vehicle that just sits for extended periods of time as opposed to one that gets driven at least once a week.

A friend of mine disagrees. He says that I am causing more damage to the engine by starting it up once a week because the oil has so completely drained out of there after that long. He says that I should just let the vehicle sit for as long as possible until I really need to use the vehicle because that would limit the number of times that I am starting it up with all the oil so completely drained out of there, thereby extending engine life.

So who is right? What would be best for the vehicle?

Dave