I bought a '06 SE with 51,000 two days ago from the MINI COOPER dealer of Montgomery County. I drove home on the 495 (DC) in rush hour and noticed my brake pedal was able to sink all the way to the floor and the car was still moving! (about 10mph). (I knew I could just reapply the brake and it would stop fine, I just wanted to test it and see actually how low it would go.)

Before I bought it, I test drove it overnight. The next day I brought up a few things that I was a little concerned about- mostly the brakes and tires. The brakes felt slightly mushy. I noticed the front tires were not wearing evenly and the X veered slightly to the left.

Long story short the dealer was like "well it passed MD state high standard inspection" and that I was almost purchasing at cost...yada yadda yadda and basically they weren't interested in fixing anything else. I liked the car, I thought it was a ok deal, so I said cool.

So Im driving home like oh hell no, I'm not putting a brake master cylinder on a vehicle i just financed. I emailed the dealer that sold me the car, she said the service dept can look at it, AFTER she went on rant about how she drove the car before we purchased it and blah blah [round about way of giving her opinion that nothings wrong with the car].

ANYWAY, I was wondering if before I go back to the deaaler i bought it from, if I should go to Nissan in MD (I live in VA) to do an inspection and see what they come up with. It will cost me $165 (ouch!) but I was thinking that perhaps I could have a leg up on the MINI dealer regarding the things that need to be fixed (of course IF Nissan finds something wrong). what are your thoughts?

oh and is it easy for a state inspection to miss a Brake Master Cylinder issue?