Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116630 - 24/07/03 10:13 PM So I guess we won't see you...
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
...at the Gilroy Garlicfest. I had posted about it, but with little interest. Looks like we'll be camping overnight, most likely at Hollister hills OHV park, then playing there on Sunday. Wouldn't mind meeting anyone as it's rare we get that far north, so if anyones up for it let me know, or just look for a canteen X with a pet guard.
MV

#116631 - 24/07/03 11:09 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
Have fun at the festival. If you can, come early and leave early. The traffic will be VERY bad. Well, not as bad as years before since they widen the freeway to 8 lanes but you'll likely be sitting on 101 waiting for a loooong time to exit 10th street. It looks like everyone and their families are going to the same festival.

Also, bring plenty of water and hats. You'll be under 100 deg heat with NO shade and surround by garlic. smile

#116632 - 25/07/03 10:32 AM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
MV,
I am planning to be at Hollister Hills on July 26th, from 10am til about 3 or 4 pm. Will you be there yet? Let's meet up someplace.

#116633 - 25/07/03 08:40 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
Ruger1022 Offline

The 26th? Thats Saturday right? Damn, We're going up there as a group, doing the Garlicfest on Sat. and then going to hollister, camping there that night, and 'wheelin the next day, Sun. Some members will leave Sat night(hence the reason we can't just 'wheel on Sat and garlic on Sun). If we get out of the Garlic fest early we may be able to meet, or if you can hang 'round till Sunday we'll be there all day. While we're in the area we will usually be on FRS 7, or cell #(559)786-3059. I'll check back here in the A.M. hope to see you there!
MV

#116634 - 25/07/03 10:33 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
KJ_dragon Offline

Ok, I may try and contact you guys toward the end of the day. I have a feeling you will still in the the festival by the time I am ready to leave the park.

#116635 - 25/07/03 11:09 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
Ruger1022 Offline

I've never been to the Garlicfest, will I have seen all I need to see in 2hrs, or will it take all day? I'm all up for leaving early, getting down to the OHV park, setting up camp, and getting in a little wheelin on sat, but as trip has other activities planned it's all about compromise.... If we don't see you this weekend, have a good one and we'll see you another time for another trip...
MV

#116636 - 28/07/03 12:32 AM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
KJ_dragon Offline

I guess I missed you. Here are pics from my Hollister Experience:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001172

#116637 - 28/07/03 07:43 AM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
Ruger1022 Offline

Yeah, too bad we couldn't have flipped days and done the festival on sunday, or not at all. We all thought it was a little overated, had little to do with garlic, just lots and lots of food boothes. After one of which we were no longer hungry so... Liked the Hollister Hills area, we're now planning to go back with more time budgeted and possibly more people. And an aircompresser. Gotta get an air compresser... Still the X did great, only had to wuss out and back down once. Did a little teetering on two wheels, twice as everyone decided I should do it again so they could get pic's. Maybe next time I'll see you there, or anywhere in Ca, by the time our trip was done we'd covered alot of it, from Visalia to Gilroy, gilroy to Hollister, Hollister to Monterey, Monterey to King city/Coalinga, back to Visalia. At least I now know that the X is livable on road trips...
MV

#116638 - 28/07/03 03:12 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
And an aircompresser. Gotta get an air compresser...
Yeah, those come in handy. But you don't need an air compressor to air up after 'wheeling at Hollister. There are four high-pressure airing-up stations next to the ranger's toll booth. You can air up a 31" tire from 20psi to 35psi in less than 20 seconds! eek

#116639 - 28/07/03 09:36 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
Ruger1022 Offline

Yeah, I saw them and was reminded about them by some friendly Jeep owners, but the fact that someone else has(and is willing to let me use) the proper equipment is no excuse for not getting it myself. I don't always find myself at Hollister, usually just in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, had I gotten stuck and needed to let air out I would have, but using someonelse's equipment just because I wanted to try obstacles that I wasn't prepared for isn't enough of a reason to bother others.
MV

#116640 - 28/07/03 11:46 PM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
Yeah, I saw them and was reminded about them by some friendly Jeep owners, but the fact that someone else has(and is willing to let me use) the proper equipment is no excuse for not getting it myself. I don't always find myself at Hollister, usually just in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, had I gotten stuck and needed to let air out I would have, but using someonelse's equipment just because I wanted to try obstacles that I wasn't prepared for isn't enough of a reason to bother others.
MV
That reminds me.

When I was at Hollister, there was a Toyota which got really stuck on the obsticle course. He was high centered and wasn't getting any traction at all. So I hooked up my strap and pulled him out. His riding buddy was very helpful in setting up my strap, while I manuevered in position, and even rolled it up for me when we were done.

They said a simple thanks and went on their way. I would have expected more gratitude, but at least they said thanks.

Isn't it customary to hand over cash or beer when someone recovers you? :p

#116641 - 29/07/03 07:54 AM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
BlueXU Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
Isn't it customary to hand over cash or beer when someone recovers you? :p
No it isn't. I just do it because it's part of the wheeling community helpfulness, because I have needed it before myself and will again another day. You shouldn't expect anything, except maybe a picture of your superior machinery pulling out someone else's "junk" he he. [Argue] [Uh Oh !]

#116642 - 29/07/03 09:54 AM Re: So I guess we won't see you...
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueXBlue:
You shouldn't expect anything, except maybe a picture of your superior machinery pulling out someone else's "junk" he he. [Argue] [Uh Oh !]
Which brings me to another point hat erked me. I had a bunch of buddies with me, just standing around watching the action of the recoverying. Two of them had camera's in their hands, and one had a video camera. They didn't get any footage of the recovery.
confused They did get a few snap shots though, but not of the whole thing. Just of pieces.

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal