2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112621 - 02/12/03 08:58 PM Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
AlcoX Offline

Loc: Brentwood, CA
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to research a yosemite trip for next year. We'll be staying hopefully in Tuolome area so that we can explore the sierra nevadas. There are two dates i'm looking at....September 10-12 or October 15-17.

#112622 - 02/12/03 09:24 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
My choice would be September 10-12. smile

#112623 - 03/12/03 07:43 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
Why Yosemite? It's National Park, no off road there. Why not Kings canyon, the forest around the park? Plenty of fun there, no park restrictions.
MV

#112624 - 03/12/03 09:04 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
XSAL Offline

I think the point was for all xterra owners to get together and camp...not so much for off-roading. I believe that Dave is trying to organize an event or two for 2wd owners and more family oriented owners to be able to come out and join. smile

Kings Canyon sounds good... Isn't it also a National Park? confused I think Lassen is a great place to visit, too... laugh

#112625 - 03/12/03 04:25 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I'd be up for the September Dates.

How far of a drive is it to get out to 395 and 4x4 heaven?

#112626 - 03/12/03 05:19 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
I'm all up for the get together, but was wondering about the park thing, even 4x2's like mild dirt roads don't they? Not many in the park. Plus Yosemite is crowded and charges to get in. While Kings canyon is also a park, it's surrounded by National Forest, with easy 4x2 friendly trails. If you go through the park, they charge you, but if you want only to be in the forrest its free, camping free as well. I personally have an annual pass to my local parks, but also know a few less travel routes into the forest(some dirt, some paved) that bypass the pay portions(note: I'm not advocating 'sneaking' into the parks, but the main way into the forest takes you through the park and hence you must pay). The Forest around Kings Canyon is sorta my backyard, we're there every other weekend or so, I'm fairly familiar with the area and would be happy to assist any planning/organizing of trips there. I know of several nice areas to camp near nice 4x2 and 4x4 trails, and am gradually making my way to about every fire lookout around(blue ridge, though abandoned has a really great view...as does Buck Rock...). If for this trip or any otherantone's interest, E-mail or PM me, I'd be happy to help.
MV

#112627 - 03/12/03 05:20 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in for September. [ThumbsUp] :p

#112628 - 04/12/03 01:13 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
AlcoX Offline

My whole goal is is to the family thing within Yosemite, but go out towards sweetwater or mammoth to explore some trails up that way.

#112629 - 04/12/03 04:05 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
slamson00 Offline

Dave,

I like the idea you have going keep it up

#112630 - 05/12/03 08:14 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
armonic Offline

Loc: walnut creek
September for me smile

#112631 - 05/12/03 09:45 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
BlueXU Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
September sounds good to me.
I remember the Yosemite X-trip I went on 2 years ago. We had a great time - loooots of driving, much of it on dirt roads when we visited Bodie (ghost town). All in all, it was a good trip with a fun group of people.
*** FYI: Yosemite books up about a year in advance ***
btw: this time I want to climb all the way up half dome (the trail - not the vertical cliff [Uh Oh !] [Freak] )

#112632 - 14/12/03 01:56 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi i am a newbie. am i welcome on this trip too? if so i think september is kool.

#112633 - 15/12/03 06:32 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
AlcoX Offline

Everyone is welcome to come...I called the reservation service and they said that reservations for Tuolome Meadows starts April 15 for september.

#112634 - 15/12/03 10:37 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueXBlue:

btw: this time I want to climb all the way up half dome (the trail - not the vertical cliff [Uh Oh !] [Freak] )
I did Half Dome this year for the first time. Simply amazing and scary. [Too much XOC]

Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/85130812AzYQxM

http://community.webshots.com/album/85135176BuWnJW

http://community.webshots.com/album/85366317chytjO

http://community.webshots.com/album/89343961MKviwK

#112635 - 15/12/03 11:26 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Hiking the 17-mile round-trip Half Dome trail is an all-day event (or an overnighter, if you bring your camping gear). I hiked that when I was in college. Whew! What a trip!

KJ- how long did it take you?

#112636 - 15/12/03 12:38 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
KJ_dragon Offline

We started late. frown

We didn't get on the trail until about 8am, and we didn't get back to the starting point until about 9:30pm. (13 hours)The last shuttle stops at 8:30pm, so we had to walk the last mile back to the parking lot.

My group was pretty slow. We had lots of fast people, but enough slow people to have to wait for them (I was one of them). I am pretty out of shape, and hiking the dome was truly a grueling experience.

Here is a thread about my experience:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000075

#112637 - 17/12/03 08:23 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
AlcoX Offline

My buddy and I ran the whole trail there and back in 4 hours back in high school. Had a water bottle in one hand and a water filter in the other. I'll never be to do that again.

#112638 - 17/12/03 10:31 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by AlcoX:
My buddy and I ran the whole trail there and back in 4 hours back in high school. Had a water bottle in one hand and a water filter in the other. I'll never be to do that again.
All 16 miles and 1000 vertical feet?!??!??!?!??!??!?!? in four hours?!??!??!??!?! eek

#112639 - 18/12/03 09:13 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
All 16 miles and 1000 vertical feet?!??!??!?!??!??!?!? in four hours?!??!??!??!?! eek
I think you just have to remember that...When kids are in high school (or at that age), they are both physically and mentally not real humans.. wink You could do all kinds crazy stuff... laugh

#112640 - 19/12/03 11:03 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
Dos Equis Offline

Loc: Concord
September works for us. I would also vote for somewhere outside of Yosemite. Not much wheeling you can do in Yosemite. Nice place to visit though.

#112641 - 22/12/03 10:16 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
slamson00 Offline

Yeah I would agree....kind of a bummer having to drive way out of Yosemite all the time just to reach some trails. Might be better off staying off of US 395?

#112642 - 22/12/03 06:18 PM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
AlcoX Offline

I'll look into some places off of 395 then. I'm open for any suggestions.

#112643 - 23/12/03 10:48 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
slamson00 Offline

Yeah you know Dave looking at that Backcountry Adventures book.........there are ALOT of cool trail that stock X's can run down around Mammoth and Bishop. There are a number of cool campgrounds around there......aka the Alabama Hills and such? Or you could stay a little further North up around Mono Lake....or even back up by Bridgeport and Twin Lakes. THere is a HUGE federal campground by Bridgeport/Twin Lakes that has group sites. You could use that as the daly stage area and head out in the morning to a number of different trails which would be in driving distance like Barney Riler, Belfort Mine Trail, Laurel Lakes, and either further down by Bishop like the Coyote Flat trail. Just some ideas.

#112644 - 23/12/03 10:51 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
Campgrounds from south to north:

Convict lake has a very nice campground with lots of trees and private flush bathrooms (that is, they're single bathrooms not stalls). It's about 20min south of mammoth so it's a fairly long drive to bodie.

June lake has one of the biggest campgrounds around and can accomodate large groups and reservations. They have flush bathrooms and water, no bear boxes but I've never even seen a bear at that campground. The only drawback is there are almost no trees and it can get windy at times.

My favorite campground is Reverse Creek campground near gull lake. Lots of trees and bear boxes, but it's pretty small and I'm not sure if they take reservations.

There are some campgrounds just outside of the yosemite gate, near lake ellery, that look nice but I've never stayed there. The toilets are pit style but I believe there is water.

Virginia Lakes has a nice campground, but make reservations. I've never stayed there though.

Twin lakes Bridgeport has a really nice campground but they cater to RVs and so the prices are a little more expensive (even for tents) and it's loud because of all the kids.

For big groups I would recommend the June lake campground (called Oh! Ridge). It's easy to find and is centrally located in relation to Bridgeport and Mammoth.

Let me know if you need anymore info, I've been going there since before I could walk. The only thing I don't know is where the 4x4 trails are. I've only gotten into 4wheeling in the past couple years.

#112645 - 23/12/03 11:25 AM Re: Dates for next year's Yosemite Trip
slamson00 Offline

Yeah I've been going to the Bridgeport area since before I could walk as well. LOL Only my idea of camping might be a little more "rustic" than others. My Uncle used to take us out in the boonies (back by Masonic) with his Jeep and we would just "make" a campground. There are a MILLION trails to do this up and down 395.........you always see people pulling off the Highway along the Carson River too to camp......not that I would recommend this but you see it everywhere. I would love to just find our own campsite but with the concept of bringing the family along it is good to have a set place to go with some facilities and such.

But I am game for anthing that is centrally located so we can hit the best trails from Bishop up to Bridgeport. Maybe somewhere by Lee Vining or just south of there would be ideal. But I am more familiar with the trails in the area (because of my childhood experience and my Backcountry books) than I am of the campgrounds.

I have really wanted to hit some of the trails down by the White mountains. I know that CALX4 just went to this area in OCtober and I was upset I had to miss that trip. Hope we can so something similar this coming September?

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal