Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116788 - 22/12/04 01:42 PM Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I purchased a couple of tow hooks and have been looking for Grade 8 metric bolts, without much success. I found a site that says the passenger side uses M12 x 50 with fine threads, into the nuts welded to the frame. I even called the dealer to see about the stock mounting bolts, but they said they are not listed separately. I could probably order some, but am trying to get into shape for next weeks off roading.

Anyone have success finding them in the Sacramento or Bay area?

Thanks for any help.

#116789 - 22/12/04 02:06 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

A quick correction as I have done a bit more research. In metric, that would be Grade 10.9 to compare to Grade 8.

#116790 - 25/12/04 07:34 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Home Depot should have them in their fastener section...that is where I got mine way back...good luck.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#116791 - 27/12/04 02:06 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

My local Home Depot only goes up to Grade 5 for SAE bolts and not much of anything for metric. I will check around. Possible the stock varies at different locations. I also tried specialty shops in the area but the only ones I found had coarse threads. I am not in as much of a rush. I was trying to get the tow hooks installed so I could go snow-wheeling on Tuesday but will not be going now. Just getting over the flue that I had for the last few days. I may just go ahead and order the bolts.

#116792 - 27/12/04 03:39 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go to napa auto parts store.

#116793 - 27/12/04 03:46 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
You can find just about anything here.

smile

#116794 - 14/01/05 10:01 AM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
NthLJ Offline

I meant to add that I re-used the stockers on the passenger side and used Home Depot stuff on the drivers side. Grade 5 is plenty strong for that application if you do go with them. the weld nuts on the inside of the passenger side won't hold up to much more than that anyway (not to mention the frame itself--it's on the skinny side as well.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#116795 - 14/01/05 07:38 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

dbybe have you tryed looking at Tognotys(i dought i spelled that right). they have alot of cool crap there. if not they might have a good idea of were to look!

#116796 - 14/01/05 08:11 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieT:
I'm on the skinny side as well.
Speakin' of which, how are you doing Charlie? We miss you...Are we gonna see you on the trails this summer? You know ya'll are welcome to join us!

#116797 - 16/01/05 09:29 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought I would give an update on my search. The bolts to fit the existing frame nuts are supposed to be Class 10.9 (metric) 12 x 1.25 (pitch) x 50. Now it seems the fine pitch of 1.25 is what is making this bolt hard to find. OSH and Emigh Hardware in Sacramento have 12 x 1.75 x 50 in 10.9, as well as a good selection of Grade 8 bolts, (SAE). Emigh has Class 8.8 (Similar to Grade 5) in the fine thread pitch. I am going to get these to mount the tow hook. If I ever come accross the fine pitch high strength bolts I will switch them out. When you look at the specs on the Class 8.8, they look pretty strong any way. As was said earlier, something else will likely come apart first anyway.
Thanks for your help. Hope to see you on the trail this summer.

#116798 - 17/01/05 01:22 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

at worst they can be gotten at the local dealership.. can't be more then 3 times the street price, but faster then going from store to store..

The bolts have to deal with the shear force, of the tow hook trying to slide along the frame, the nuts only have to deal with a fraction of the force, as the bolts are trying to rip them through the framerails. Get the strongest bolts you can, that tow hook will leave a hell of a mark in whatever it strikes..

#116799 - 17/01/05 02:04 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just did this about 2 weeks ago. I had a hard time finding 10.9 fine pitch bolts so I went with 8.8. A local midwest chain, Menards was the only place that carried the 1.25 thread.

I found a few websites that sell metric bolts but it seems the 10.9 fine thread is hard to come by. http://www.boltdepot.com/metric-hex-bolts.aspx

#116800 - 19/01/05 05:19 AM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
NthLJ Offline

If at all possible, I'm there!! I'm not entirely sure of the schedule, but I think they are having us start the grad school program this summer (that could be a possible wrench--I'm sure I can get away though). Anyone is free to drop me a line anytime.

Quote:
Originally posted by olebiker:
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieT:
[b]I'm on the skinny side as well.
Speakin' of which, how are you doing Charlie? We miss you...Are we gonna see you on the trails this summer? You know ya'll are welcome to join us![/b]

#116801 - 19/01/05 02:19 PM Re: Grade 8 Bolts
Anonymous
Unregistered

M12 x 1.25 mm pitch is not that common.

The difference between an 8.8 & 10.9 class is 80 vs. 100 kgf/mm^2

Not a huge difference.

On a quick internet search, I could find M12 x 1.25 x 50 in a class 8.8 but not a class 10.9.

McMaster doesn't ususally have odd ball size metric stuff. Only standard.

Try this place:

http://www.imperialinc.com/

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal