This is only a preliminary trip announcement. The 2005 Sierra Challenge will strike out from Loon Lake this year and end at Graeagle CA, concentrating on the Northern Sierras, from Lake Tahoe to the Gold Lakes Region, as usual with limited pavement. Some will recall 2004 concentrated on the Southern Sierra Nevadas, while 2003 took us through the central Sierras as far north as Fordyce Lake. The dates are August 6-13(actual wheeling days) This is a major four wheeling expedition and consider the following key points before committing.
1. As always this is a Camp on the Trail type event in extremely remote country, with one major supply point. Supplies, extra fuel, parts, tools ect are required for many days.
2. There are no midway meet up points, and early departures must not occur on major trails.
3. The trip will include some of the finest wheeling, awesome lakes and rivers and scenery in the US. ALL camps have water!(one with MULTIPLE waterfalls)
4. Most important, this is a VERY DIFFICULT trip. 33” tires LWB and 31” tires SWB are required, as well as rocker sliders, additional cooling capacity and one traction aid. The Rubicon is the most famous 4x4 trail and is know worldwide as being quite difficult, and aside from highly modified rigs and rock buggies it is. Fordyce is MUCH more difficult, and is really an extreme trail. A few of the key trails such as those are rarely done together, despite how well they flow together with limited pavement. The rocks are large, and NON-STOP. Water can be window deep.
5. Come prepared for lots of under belly scraping and polishing those sliders. Rear bumper damage is also common. Other body damage is possible.
6. Due to the altitude and difficulty of trails this is a PHYSICALY challenging trip at times. Its not climbing Everest, or even backpacking. But, dragging a 5,000lb vehicle through the Sierras can be exhausting, from a driving standpoint as well spotting and recovery activities.
7. This is a family oriented event open to any make of vehicle meeting the minimum requirements. Since I now run a Mitsubishi and Nissan I will primarily advertise this trip in those arenas.
If after all this it sounds like a trip for you, stay tuned for an itinerary and planning string soon.
For the Nissan folks I will also post my rules of the trail. I would also like to introduce myself. I am 35, and a 17yr four wheeling veteran. I have owned Monteros the entire time, and now wheel an 05 Xterra as well. I specialize in leading expedition or camp on the trail style events around the country, and soon the world. Usually 10+ days, sometimes shorter. Currently I lead a spring Utah trip, a summer Sierra Nevada trip and winter Death Valley or Mexico trip, among others. If remote, amazing scenery and trails, history, ect are your thing, you might fit in. This is definitely NOT country club style fourwheeling. If you would like more info feel free to email me or... Stay tuned for more info and more adventures……….