Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124425 - 28/03/04 06:28 PM The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
The Official Unofficial Barnwell Write-up 4/26-28

Now, before I get started, I can only do a write-up on things that I actually witnessed or heard, so some stuff that happened will be left off. Sorry if I screw up any names or omit something. This is how I saw the weekend, not you.

After much waiting, the anticipated day had finally arrived…3/26! After much going back and forth over what time Misty and I would actually leave, we didn’t end up leaving her house till 6. (Car wreck holding up traffic and I forgot the lawn chairs…doh!) Pretty uneventful trip on the way out there, except for a semi on the other side of the highway blew a tire and a piece of rubber about the size of my fist smacked my windshield. Scared the shit out of us, but luckily, no damage.

Arrived at the campsite around 8:40. Pretty good timing, I think. We were welcomed by Matt SE-V6, who had left around 3:30 to get there. There was much rejoicing to be back on the mountain once more. Too lazy to cook any dinner, we dined on Chee-tos and Pringles and cookies. Many adult beverages were consumed and memory becomes fuzzy. It was a different atmosphere hanging out at the campsite with only two other people, not at all like the larger crowds we are used to. We jammed some 311, Bob Marley and Matt’s new personal favorite…..”Dear Penis” by Rodney Carrington. Glen did show up around, what we are now terming (thanks to Kraig), end of drunk (not to be confused with beginning of drunk or middle of drunk). Shortly after, we retired to our tent. Sorry we didn’t stay up and hang, Glen. We were tired.

Saturday came pretty early, or maybe it just felt that way. Nothing a few Advils and plenty of water couldn’t cure. We built up the fire and were treated to pancakes compliments of Misty. Thanks once again, honey. After breakfast, Glen, Misty and I took off to the main office. Matt took off on his motorcycle and we didn’t see him much the rest of the morning.

We made it to the main office around 10:00, just in time to meet Joe From OK, and his wife. (Sorry, I forgot her name.) Who made me official ambassador for this trip? Next time, I demand an officer be there from start to finish. (Just kidding, I didn’t mind) Joe had a pretty nice X. Cloud White, super charged, 3” Calmini lift, Calmini sliders, Calmini Bumper, and some Calmini armor. You think this guy likes Calmini? Since Joe had driven all the way from somewhere in OK, and he had to leave around 3, we decide we would try and hit as many trails as possible and show him our mountain. Not sure on what we ran that morning or what order, but we did Whatever, X-Way, Fun Country, Humdinger and I am sure I am missing some. Joe knew what he was doing and was a great driver. All you had to do was show him the trail, and he tackled it without blinking an eye.

We met back up at the main office around some time or other……11? 12? I have no idea, to meet up with the Austin group. This included Brian (snakeyez) and Amanda and their dogs, Kraig (austinbrtndr), Kyle and LonghornXterra and some of his friends. Kraig, thanks for the hat. We should have had some pictures taken. Luck was with us and as we were about to leave, our beloved President, Scott showed with Zach in tow.

Went back to camp and unloaded. I think at this time we tried out the mystery Hi-Lift product. Whatever it is, it works. Whatever is does. All we could figure was that it lifted your truck from the tire two inches. What are you supposed to do after this? We couldn’t figure out. Stick a board under your whee?

We decided to hit more trails, including Solihull, Linda Gail, On Any Sunday, X-Way, Whatever, Clyde’s Ravine, Sierra Skyview, Twister and more. Matt had finally had enough of the motorcycle and joined up with us. At some point, Z71 Chris and Becky showed up. Scott, we enjoyed driving you and your son around. Never had a rear passenger on trail before.

Somewhere, sometime in here, Joe and his wife left, as well as Longhorn and his crew. Sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye. I didn’t even know you had left.

Now, I can’t remember why, maybe the women had to pee, or something but we were around the main office about 6:30. Now our group had split up. We included, Misty, myself, Brian, Kyle, Glen, Kraig, Becky and Chris. We wanted to take one more trail before dinner, but couldn’t decide what. Nothing gay, as Kraig put it. I had a brilliant idea to try CM-Drive. Something new and relatively easy (2, Steep-creek crossing, Small ravine and hill climb.) We couldn’t seem to find the damn thing, so we took Jeepy Hollow instead. Got to the end and couldn’t make it out. (Kraig, what does “ledge” mean in the description?) Had to turn around, took a turn somewhere and ended up on CM.

Kyle was in the lead now (who put the rookie in the lead?) and he got to the steep creek crossing, and somehow made it across, with much difficulty (I missed all this, where the hell was I?) Chris was next and got stuck bad. How bad? I don’t even want to explain. Winches, straps, shovels, shackles and much cursing by all was involved, as well as some very interesting winching. Finally got him through it and we turned around. We, now being Kraig, Becky, Misty and myself. Don’t ask where everybody else went.

Well, we had to find a way out now, and we were lost. How lost? Let’s put it this way…I have now driven Airstrip! Well, about the first 30 feet before you can actually read the sign. Finally made it out of there, taking Jeepy Hollow out, which was what I wanted to do in the first place, but whatever. Our short trail turned into a 2 hour experience. The lesson in all this….I’m not sure. How about, “Don’t try new trails at night” or “Don’t let the rookie lead” or maybe even, “Don’t listen to me and let me pick an easy sounding trail.”

When we got back to camp, everybody had already eaten and starting to worry about us. There was much rejoicing over our late appearance. Many adult beverages were consumed along with some great fajitas. Scott and Zach left shortly after. Did I mention that the water was running this weekend? Went to the office and had a great shower, came back, drank some more and went to sleep.

Hey Glen, you still haven’t run Politican in the dark with no headlight!

Sunday morning came real damn early. I never have understood how some people can be so damn happy in the morning. Had some great breakfast: eggs, misty style and bacon. Glen and Becky took off and now our happy group was down to Misty and I, Brian and Amanda, Kraig, Kyle and Matt. Matt elected to ride with Kraig and ride we did. Runs included Solihull, Clyde’s Ravine and new bypass up hill, down some trail marked exit only (don’t tell Clyde) Scorpion Pass, Sierra Skyview, Whatever, Humdinger (backwards), Pine Hill and we took a look at Politician.

Glen, Becky, you think you fooled us? At the top of Scorpio, guess what….we picked you up on FRS! Next time, pick a channel we don’t use. You could have at least let us know you weren’t leaving. We wouldn’t have minded if you wanted to do runs on your own.

We took a look at Politician. Smart of us this time. Definitely did not look passable. Glen, we don’t think your 100% counts. 1 out of 1 just doesn’t count it. We would all like to see you run it a second time, so you can be at 50% like the rest of us.

At this point, we decided to call it quits. None if us wanted to risk getting damaged (or further damaged, for some). We caravanned it back to Dallas, and Misty and I said our goodbyes at 635 and 75.

Sorry if I missed anything you remember fondly, I have a shitty memory sometimes and there were just so many good experiences. Glad that all came and hope that everybody’s ride home was safe and uneventful. Can’t wait to do it again. By the way, when are we going to Barnwell again? It’s late now, well not really, but I’m tired. Think I’ll get something to eat and go to bed.

Sorry if that is too long. Might have rambled there at parts.

If you guys want to use this as a write up for our site, feel free. Unless somebody wants to do a better one.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#124426 - 28/03/04 06:38 PM Re: The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
Ummm, I see an article for the April newsletter... Mind if I use it? smile

(yes, you said above people can use it, but we are talking putting it in print now. smile )
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#124427 - 28/03/04 06:56 PM Re: The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Good write up, Jason! Good to see you out there, and very good to finally make it out to wheel with you guys... That's definitely one of the best trips I've had anywhere... Can't wait to go again in a year or two! laugh The drive is awful! Gonna have to get you guys down to Katemcy, but that's a whole other thread... Good job on the pics... I wish there would have been some more people with cameras, because we had a lot more fun than what Jason was able to show! Anyway, I'm fixing to shower (just wasn't in the right mood [if there is one] to go shower with Jason last night... [Uh Oh !] ) and take my happy ass to bed... so goodnight, all... talk to ya tomorrow!

p.s. Jason, wear the hat with pride! laugh

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#124428 - 28/03/04 07:24 PM Re: The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Wow you predicted the Future. Thats Amazing.

#124429 - 28/03/04 08:10 PM Re: The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
surfingteacher Offline

Yeah, you can use it Scott, just put my name on it.

Kraig, wish I would have taken more pictures, but I always forget. The other thing is we were running pretty hard for a large part of the trip, and we weren't stopping much to take pics or anything else. Thanks for the hat. You know I'll wear it with pride.

Looking forward to running Katemcy. Just need to get some sliders first, and maybe some more armor.

Chia, what do you mean by that? Who predicted the future? About what?
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#124430 - 29/03/04 10:17 AM Re: The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by surfingteacher:
Chia, what do you mean by that? Who predicted the future? About what?
you did it again... 4/26 - 4/28... This is March... 3/26 - 3/28... laugh

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#124431 - 29/03/04 10:31 AM Re: The Official Unofficial Write-up 3/26-28 (long)
surfingteacher Offline

I know and I haven't been able to get on here this morning to fix it. Will change it now.

It's just wishful dreaming that we are that much closer to Summer Vacation.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal