Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126526 - 28/04/04 08:11 PM Seat belt concerns
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Does Nissan know how dangerous their seatbelt design is for offroaders (i.e. that you can't put it on when the truck it at an angle and that it grabs WAY too easily)?

Are there any plans to fix this problem? Does anyone here know of a workaround for existing vehicles?

I know I've mentioned this a couple of times before... and I don't want to sound like a broken reord - but I'm really concerned about it.

As I pointed out in the GONE rollover thread, you can clearly see that Jorge was trying to put on his seatbelt right before he rolled... but he was unable to... and ended up having his feet come out the window during a roll. All thanks to a safety system that is not safe.

I shot some video at the Barnwell work weekend of Keith trying to put his belt on while stopped on Sierra's Skyview... as expected, it wouldn't budge.

Walt? Scott?

#126527 - 29/04/04 06:18 AM Re: Seat belt concerns
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
Don't take it off in the first place. Get somebody to spot for you. [Smoking]
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#126528 - 29/04/04 07:22 AM Re: Seat belt concerns
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by surfingteacher:
Don't take it off in the first place. Get somebody to spot for you. [Smoking]
Would you trust me to spot for you if I make it to Barnwell? You shouldn't you've never met me or wheeled with me. There is some implied trust between driver and spotter that strangers don't have.

Brent's had the idea of some binder clips to keep them from retracting too far. Just pull them out to so they will fit around you and clamp it down. It's that or rig the truck for 4-5 point harnesses. That's what you really would want in a roll over.

#126529 - 29/04/04 07:32 AM Re: Seat belt concerns
Kaiser Offline

hmmmm... that's a really good idea... just clip something on it so it won't go back in...

I'll look into that - thanks!

#126530 - 29/04/04 07:52 AM Re: Seat belt concerns
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
Quote:
Would you trust me to spot for you if I make it to Barnwell? You shouldn't you've never met me or wheeled with me. There is some implied trust between driver and spotter that strangers don't have.
I wouldn't trust you with anything. Just joking. I totally agree with you on the trust issue. Most of us in SWXC and TNT go wheelin' with each other on a regular basis. I would trust any one of them to spot me. Well, maybe not Glen. He's talked soem people into doing things I wouldn't have told them to do. CM ring a bell, Glen? [Finger]
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#126531 - 29/04/04 08:34 AM Re: Seat belt concerns
Kaiser Offline

Yeah - I'm through with that "being a leader" shit. I'll be in the rear with the gear.

#126532 - 30/04/04 10:31 AM Re: Seat belt concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about kraig? My favorite line was "well, if you hit it fast enough you'll jump those back wheels up and be fiiiine" I'm still digging dirt out of my leaf spring pearches.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal