Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123623 - 04/10/04 09:21 PM big bend
shiner Offline

Loc: tx
becky and i left last wednesday (9/29) for big bend for our first time. big bend did receive flash flooding the weekend of 9/25-9/26. part of park closed (santa elena canyon, hot springs, and most of river road).

stayed in chisos basin wed and thur night. rained both nights. hiked the window on friday and it was a sight to see. breath taking. on way back from window, ran into some javalinas. becky wanted to take one of the babies home. i agreed, but didn't happen.

stayed at rio grande village fri night. temp was cooler than normal (low 60's night mid/high 70's day. that night javalinas attacked tent looking for food.... actually, while looking for food, javalinas wandered to our tent, i pushed one away, turned on flashlight, they looked at me like i was nothing, then turned around and headed off. scared the sh!t out of becky though.

asked all park rangers/visitor stations about 4x4 trail conditions. they said do it at own risk, if think can't make it turn around. well, did the ore trail south to north and it was actually disappointing to me in a way. over the 26 miles, used 4 high about four times and 4 low twice. was expecting more technical type stuff.

took the north rosillos road (car friendly) to terlingua ranch. it was not car friendly after the flash flooding. roughly 23 miles. due to the flash flooding, desert sand covered most the road, wash outs, and mud. more intense than the ore trail. at one point becky asked if we needed to turn around. i said maybe, dropped to 4 low, window down, made it through with mud on my shirt. made it through, becky happy and horny for some reason.

when arrived at terlingua ranch, they were surprised i took that road. the day before somebody in a full size truck with v8 and trailer got stuck. driver had to hike about 15 miles to ranch for help. i was referred to as the muddy foreign suv.

we had dinner at the ranch which was a treat. every meal is homemade. it takes a little longer to get the food, but it is worth the wait. we got to the restuarant around 5:30pm. we ended up hanging out with the locals and me drinking beer to 11:30pm.

i know this post may suck without pics, but will eventually learn how. the post is fairly long so don't hate me.

plugging the ranch: www.terlinguaranch.com

hopefully will go back there next year.

#123624 - 04/10/04 09:34 PM Re: big bend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like a great trip, why wait til next year? That's a trip you could do a couple times. I know the sring time is beautiful there.
As for posting photos, try Shutterfly.com. You take the photos from your digital or photo cd, put into "My pictures" in the PC. When you set up your free account with shutterfly, open a small window for shutterfly, and a small window for your pictures. Click on the photo and drag it to the "Album".
When you've got all the photos you want, "View" each photo. While viewing, right click on the image and then click propertites. a HTTP will come up for that image. Use this when you post the image within your message.
Hope this helps. I'm techni-challenged and I figured this one out. It just took a few hours. smile

#123625 - 05/10/04 06:25 AM Re: big bend
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Sounds like a lot of fun, Clint.

I like this line
Quote:
made it through, becky happy and horny for some reason
[LOL]

You gonna make it out to Barnwell this time?

#123626 - 05/10/04 08:35 PM Re: big bend
shiner Offline

Loc: tx
thanks for the info on pic posting. will try it out this weekend if i get time.

as for barnewell, out of vaca so this year is out. hopefully next year. brother getting married in colorado next year (june) so planning on at least a week up there. after two years of marriage, next year should be the honeymoon (bought house this year so no honeymoon). i miss barnwell. maybe becky and i could call in on a three day weekend in jan or feb.

devils den here in sa is pretty fun. the den will by my only off road for awhile. katemcy is closer to me, want to go, but it will be hit or miss for awhile. finances is rough since saving for a shrock bumper by december.

#123627 - 11/10/04 04:06 PM Re: big bend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like you had a great trip. None of the roads in Big Bend are real technical, but if you go back try Black Gap road, it's probably the most technical in the park. Juniper Canyon road can be a little bit of a challenge too, at least it was when I was there in August (after some flash flooding also).

Terlingua Ranch sounds pretty cool, I been to Big Bend dozens of times and have passed the road to Terlingua Ranch on the way in each time. I've always wondered what it would be like and always say "next trip" - just has not happend yet... maybe this next one. I'm heading out there this weekend. However we may not make it there again if there is still rain. We are going in my buddy's new GMC 2500HD 4x4 - this thing is GIANT, and based on what you said about the road, it may not be a wise idea. Kind of went through the same thing when we went in the X back in August. We drove the river road through a lot of mud. We ran into a park employee in a 4x4 F150 close to the end of the road, we told them that it was pretty muddy, but I think they had the idea "bigger is better". I never heard if they made it through or not, but I can't imagine anything heavier than an X making it through. Anyway, definatly post some pic if you can, I'd like to see what Terlingua Ranch is all about before we head out this weekend.

#123628 - 22/10/04 08:34 PM Re: big bend
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here and hopefully get some good ideas. My wife and I are heading to Big Bend over Thanksgiving and want to do the car camping thing. Juniper Canyon, Pine Canyon and Paint Gap areas look like good places to camp.

Any suggestions besides bring extra water & fuel?

Any problems with the "locals" migrating north?

#123629 - 23/10/04 03:47 AM Re: big bend
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Just remember there are no open fires allowed and it can get cool. I usually have gone in December and I bring a propane heater. Just fire it up before going to sleep and again before we get out of the bags.

The Park store has the very basic necessities and you can get gas too. Always smart to carry a couple of gallons on board just in case.

You will have more challenges with other tourists than with our neighbors in the south.

Enjoy and take pics wink

#123630 - 28/10/04 07:52 PM Re: big bend
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Juniper Canyon 1 Campsite is really nice (the one before the end of the trail). But beware, the juniper canyon road is probably the roughest in the park, not the most challenging or techincal, just the most uncomfortable for everyone but the driver. I also has some of the best views of the south rim and pine canyon. Pine canyon is a pretty easy drive and the trail to the waterfall (when there is rain) is a really nice hike as the last part of it is in the trees and not in open desert. Xterraintx is right about it getting cold. I was just there last week and it got pretty cool at night, not cold enough for a heater, but cold enough to not want to get out of the sleeping bag in the morning (bringing a small heater is a really good idea). Having said that, it can still get pretty warm in during the day so lots of water, a wide brim hat and sunscreen are important if you do any long distance day hikes. As far as our neighbors to the south go, I've never had any problems, but I understand that since the border crossing at Boquillas was shut down after 9/11, the residents have taken up a new occupation at campsites along the river road... could just be hear-say, but better safe than sorry. You should have no problems with the camp sites you mentioned. Oh yeah, one last thing to bring - A camera, take lots of pictures and post! I should have mine up hopefully this weekend. We climbed Elephant Tusk last week and it was brutal, but it did make some interesting pictures. Enjoy your trip.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal