Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129782 - 18/04/05 02:31 PM moving out!
eric k. Offline

Loc: northern virginia
Hey guys ,I was thinking of putting in a transfer for my job to Texas.Wanted to know what kind of things to do in my xterra there?Thinking in the Dallas area,any advice on where to look for a home?[I heard about grapevine,flowermound,irving,and the colony]and what kind of 4x4'ing is there? Thanks for any info.,it will help.

#129783 - 18/04/05 02:59 PM Re: moving out!
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
I was raised in the Colony and is a pretty nice area. Lewisville and Flower Mound are nice too are are right up the street from The Colony.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#129784 - 18/04/05 05:01 PM Re: moving out!
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Dont move to dallas to crowded. YOu want to live in a nice town like ausitn.

#129785 - 18/04/05 05:14 PM Re: moving out!
eric k. Offline

Just saw a earlier post for the area.Seems it may be good idea to go out there.I'am in wash D.C. area and so the traffic may or may not that bad to me.I prob.need to stay near DFW airport sense my job would be there.15 to 20 min drive is what I'am doing now.the cost of living is very high here [can't afford to buy a single family house here,up-words of 400,000.00 for a normal house,but no land at all.keep the info coming please .Thanks again guys.

#129786 - 18/04/05 09:51 PM Re: moving out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Dont move to dallas to crowded. YOu want to live in a nice town like ausitn.
Ditto...besides we Austinites work hard to keep Austin Weird. laugh

#129787 - 18/04/05 10:43 PM Re: moving out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll third the Austin vote. I was in dallas this weekend, I hope I never have to drive through that city again, its crazy!! [Huh?]

#129788 - 18/04/05 11:32 PM Re: moving out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I lived in Dallas for 6 months then moved straight back to Austin the first chance I got.

I'm living in San Antonio now but not of my own choice. Work moved me here. Austin is much more fun IMO.

#129789 - 19/04/05 05:02 AM Re: moving out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm there is another town to the west of Dallas that doesn't smell, doesn't have nearly as bad traffic, has a MUCH lower cost of living and IMHO is much more relaxed and laid back...forgot what that town was called though. :rolleyes:

#129790 - 19/04/05 06:25 AM Re: moving out!
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by System-f:
Hmmm there is another town to the west of Dallas that doesn't smell, doesn't have nearly as bad traffic, has a MUCH lower cost of living and IMHO is much more relaxed and laid back...forgot what that town was called though. :rolleyes:
Much lower crime rate, too.... Dallas has the highest crime rate among large cities in the COUNTRY - SEVEN YEARS RUNNING.

Eric - Because D/FW (Dallas/Fort Worth) is one HUGE metroplex, you'll want to pick your suburb based on where your job is most likely to be.

If you'll be at/near D/FW airport, that is in Irving. You'll end up looking there, Grapevine, Colleyville, Hurst/Euless/Bedford etc. That's not a bad place, really. It's downtown Dallas and the south side that you want to try to avoid (in my limited experience, the south and east sides of most cities are the crappy parts... certainly true for Dallas).

I've really been thinking about moving to Austin, myself - if I can find a job there.

#129791 - 19/04/05 07:18 AM Re: moving out!
GrayHam Offline

Austin sucks. Stay away.

Seriously.

#129792 - 19/04/05 08:11 AM Re: moving out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually the area where Kaiser and Nissanut(is he on this board?) live, Allen, is a really nice area. Who knows how much it costs though

#129793 - 19/04/05 11:44 AM Re: moving out!
Kaiser Offline

I like my place okay... just the boring 'burbs... and every inch of land that isn't developed is rapidly heading that way.

Cost-wise... it's high - but not remotely Washington-area high (my dad lives in Annapolis... in-SANE prices up there).

I bought my house about 2 years ago: Built in '89, nice back yard 3/2/2 etc etc... 1500 sq ft. They were asking $130k I think... paid $126,500

#129794 - 19/04/05 12:20 PM Re: moving out!
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
The whole Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco area (north DF-Dubya) is nice, but costs about 15% more (at least) than the rest of the metroplex. Nice area though, and great schools if that is a concern.

s
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#129795 - 20/04/05 07:48 PM Re: moving out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kaiser is right about the areas around DFW Airport - if that's what you want to be around, those are the best areas to look into. Plano, Frisco, McKinney & Allen are all nice, but like Ramstein said, they are a little higher priced and are definately farther away from the airport (a good 45+ minute drive in morning traffic). The Colony is a pretty good drive to the airport as well. To check out home prices, try www.ebby.com, it is a really good web site for real estate in the DFW area - it should give you a really good idea of home prices in different areas aound the metroplex. As far as wheelin' goes I can't say that there is a whole lot in the immediate area, but the other guys should know a lot more about that than me... hell, I've had my X almost a year now and still haven't even joined the SWXC yet frown

#129796 - 21/04/05 05:01 AM Re: moving out!
eric k. Offline

Thank you for the web-site,we've been useing reltor.com and it's very slow.Ebby one 3-times as fast.I've owned my 01 since new and never really got to take it off road ethier.Thanks again for the info.

#129797 - 21/04/05 06:44 AM Re: moving out!
Kaiser Offline

Oh, to answer the 4x4 question, we go to Barnwell Mountain quite a lot - it is 2.5-ish hours to the east in Gilmer, Tx. Great place.... used to be an iron stripmine I believe. Lots of sandy/sandstone stuff with small-ish rocks:

The other place we frequent is Katemcy Rocks - an hour and a half west of Austin (about 5 hours from D/FW). Granite boulders, lots of traction etc::

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal