2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122879 - 08/02/07 01:01 PM Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did a little searching but didn't come up with much. I don't have time to really dig around on this site as I've been working a whole lot lately frown

I seem to have 2 leaks on my X and I can't seem to find either one of them. I have general areas where it seems the leaks are coming from but can't nail it down.

One seems to be a power steering fluid leak. Up under the X one side is covered in some oily substance but none of my fluids seem to be low. Here's a few shots with the nasty oily stuff:

Odd Oil
Odd Oil2
Odd Oil3

Here's a top shop where the power steering fluid tank is:

Power Steering Hose

And one shot from up under the X where I saw a bead of oily stuff tryin to drop off the copper part near that Y:

Under

Here's a shot of the opposite side that's clean (meaning no oil) so you can see the difference:
Dry Side

Here's a close up of where the colant seems to be coming from:

Coolant Leak Close

and one from away a bit:

Coolant Leak Far

What would this cost me to take it in? I can't find that cooland leak but it is leaking and it only seems to do it at rest. I run the vehicle to build up pressure but I guess the leak isn't big enough. At rest over night there's a small puddle of cooland under where the trans connects to the motor as you can see in the pic. I'm guessing it's running down from some where else maybe?

The power steering hose seems to be an easy fix but the hose seems tight already not sure how/where it's leaking from either.

Am I looking at under $1000 if I take this into an authorized dealer? Have we had any in the NB/Austin/SA area take their X into anyone they trust? I hate taking mine in but i can't seem to pin point these 2 leaks frown

#122880 - 08/02/07 04:24 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen UV dyes before that mechanics have used to pinpoint the origins of leaks. Hard to work with, but you put it into the crankcase or coolant, then let it run and wait for it to show up under a blacklight.

#122881 - 08/02/07 07:23 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check all the hose clams mine was leaking too I tightend everyone a pain to get to the lower one below the reservor(sp) where it connect to the metal line was the one I found leaking. the coolant leak is interesting is it on the starter side I cant tell?

#122882 - 08/02/07 09:34 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Yeah - as Lance said - the power steering leak is almost guaranteed to be a hose clamp.

Get rid of the shitty stock ones and put on the old school screw type.

I dunno about the coolant. It could also be a hose clamp issue - or something more sinister.

#122883 - 09/02/07 08:46 AM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, that could easily be photos of my truck. I could never find where my coolant was leaking from, but it seems to have magically stopped. I've been putting off just replacing the power steering hoses (and clamps) for good measure. I'm not losing much fluid, but it makes a mess, doesn't it?

#122884 - 09/02/07 09:01 AM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah it's very odd. I don't seem to be losing much fluid and the coolant JUST started not a week or so ago.

The clamps idea i like. I will do that this weekend and get the good ones and replace all the crappy clamps I can reach.

Thanks for the replies so far gang!

#122885 - 09/02/07 09:52 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
For a minute there, I thought you were posting pics of the underside of my truck. x2 on the power steering fluid leak.

Re the coolant leak, see if coolant is following the tranny cooler lines back from the radiator. You may have a loose connection, or other issue, around the tranny line connections. Also, I think there is a drain plug near the starter on the block. Possibly that is leaking.

#122886 - 11/02/07 03:33 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Funny you guys should mention it but my truck looks the same underneath also.

My power steering resevoir leaks some where also as I have fluid on the hose also.

Jasunf ,
Are you sure that is coolant flowing down? Your underneath looks like mine did when my rear main seal was going (gone).

I had my RMS replaced twice(!) under the extended warranty. I looked at the bill that the dealership was sending Nissan it was for about $700. The parts are not alot. It is the labor that kills you to remove the torsion bars, t-case and tranny to get the to rear main seal.

Stone

#122887 - 12/02/07 11:33 AM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Jasunf ,
Are you sure that is coolant flowing down? Your underneath looks like mine did when my rear main seal was going (gone).
Yeah it's coolant (antifreeze). Hard to tell in the pic but if you look really hard at the close up one you can barely see the green tint to the liquid. It has to be "flowing" from some where else (at least that's what I think).

It was nasty all weekend so I didn't feel like sitting outside fixing the X frown

Thanks gang!

#122888 - 04/03/07 04:52 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, just to add to the mix, my truck looks the exact same way. A slow leak as well. Actually I moved the bottom clamp down and haven't noticed much since I did that.

#122889 - 04/03/07 10:40 PM Re: Sick Xterra :(
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by cruzinfrontier:
well, just to add to the mix, my truck looks the exact same way. A slow leak as well. Actually I moved the bottom clamp down and haven't noticed much since I did that.
Geez Kyle - haven't heard from you in forever!

What have you been up to?

I'm an Austinite now laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal