2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131638 - 25/11/06 03:54 PM Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice the site is up and running now.

Any 2wd friendly trails for a rookie in SD? I'm adding PML and 32's next week and wouldn't mind some sight seeing on the dirt. Any suggestions?

#131639 - 25/11/06 04:18 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Not sure if it's open any more to wheeling, but Corral Canyon OHV (off the 8 east @ Buckman Springs) was one of my old stomping grounds. It's pretty 2WD friendly.

#131640 - 25/11/06 06:12 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Corral Canyon OHV is still closed because of a fire that torched that area.

We occasionally have runs or parts of a run that are ok for 4x2’s so check back for those when somebody other than me posts about it wink

Get a good guidebook and have some fun smile

#131641 - 25/11/06 06:53 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You missed what was probably a pretty good one today, but you could do it on your own any time. A few people went out to Fish Creek/Split Mountain/Sandstone Canyon (page 383 in the guide XtoolboX mentioned) in Anza Borrego. Its a fun drive and easily done in a 4X2. There are quite a few other trails in AB that I think you would enjoy. Another trail I recommend is Palomar Divide Road (page 359)up near Warner Spings. Its an easy drive (part of it is paved)with some fantastic views.

#131642 - 25/11/06 09:21 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch1351:
You missed what was probably a pretty good one today, but you could do it on your own any time. A few people went out to Fish Creek/Split Mountain/Sandstone Canyon (page 383 in the guide XtoolboX mentioned) in Anza Borrego. Its a fun drive and easily done in a 4X2. There are quite a few other trails in AB that I think you would enjoy. Another trail I recommend is Palomar Divide Road (page 359)up near Warner Spings. Its an easy drive (part of it is paved)with some fantastic views.
Mitch is right about Fish Creek / Sandstone Cyn, although the rangers do recommend 4x4, Diane made it all the way to our lunch spot in Sandstone Canyon today in her 4x2 X. There are some soft sandy spots, you just have to drive accordingly (and air down some). Just be careful not to chew up the trail if you start digging in.

#131643 - 26/11/06 07:50 AM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up on that guide. I went ahead and ordered one off of Amazon.

#131644 - 06/12/06 07:32 AM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

XTOOLBOX --- Thanks for the heads up on that guide, it makes for some good reading.

What do you guys think of making a couple of these trips solo? Is it ok if just a buddy and I went in the X?

I was thinking first off of the two Mitch1351 mentioned, Fish Creek & Palomar, do those solo then start going on runs with others in the area.

#131645 - 06/12/06 04:53 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I probably should not be the one to encourage you to go alone, since we always tell people not to do that, but . . . I've done both of those routes alone (well, had my wife along for company, but just one truck). It really all comes down to how far are you willing to walk if you get stuck (or break down) and can't get help.

Fish Creek is pretty heavily travelled, especially on weekends. There are a few sandy spots, so be careful in 2WD. Might help to have a shovel and your own tow strap in case you need to ask someone for a pull. We had a 2WD X with our group 11/25 that had no problems at all

Palomar Divide Road is paved part of the way. I did it years ago, back before any of it was paved, in an old Datsun 2WD truck, up to the Barker Valley trailhead without any problems. The shelf road section does get pretty narrow in spots.

There are some other scenic backroads around San Diego that are fine in 2WD, you might want to look for Tony Huegel's book California Coastal Byways, or his other book, California Desert Byways. I'll let someone who knows how link in a photo of the cover. Check out Boulder Creek Road, from Descanso up towards Julian, before it starts snowing. Also, some interesting roads around Black Mountain (the one near Ramona, not the one just off I-15 near Poway).

Keep checking back, as I'll be planning another few Anza Borrego day trips soon. Thinking of Blair Valley and the pictograph hiking trail. I hear the driving portion is 2WD friendly. Also want to go back to Sandstone Canyon again this season.

If you can make it to the Xmas party we can talk more about what's in San Diego then.

#131646 - 06/12/06 09:50 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input Frank. I'd love to attend the Xmas party but I work the 9th plus that evening is my girlfriends Xmas party. I'll keep checking back for any potential runs you guys are making though.

#131647 - 07/12/06 12:44 PM Re: Trails in San Diego?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Nate Harrison Grade, going up Palomar Mountain, is a good run for a 4x2 with some great scenery. The excerpt below describes the trail for hikers, but it's a good run for a 4x2 or a 4x4 looking for a view. First time my Xterra got on a trail after I drove out to SD from NY.

Nate Harrison Grade

Location: Pauma Valley. On the southwest side of Palomar Mountain. Take 78-E from I-15. Go left on Valley Center Road and left on Cole Grade Road to park. Trailhead located nearby, off the 76.

Length: 22 miles.

Follow the signs for Palomar Mountain after taking the 78 from the 15. Nate Harrison Grade road goes through an orange grove and then up the side of the mountain. Watch speed at the switchbacks, I've almost been run down by a minivan falling down the mountain at high speed. [drink]

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal