Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44104 - 08/05/02 04:59 PM Remote Oil Filter?
Lifeboat Offline

Loc: Orygun
Anyone have one? Pros/cons?

My steering stabilizer bracket is a bit too close for comfort, so I'm considering either replacing the whole bracket system, or going to a remote filter.

#44105 - 08/05/02 07:54 PM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Not in the X, but I have one in the race car - a 2qt Chevy-style remote. Makes maintenance easier as you can locate it pretty much where you want. It gives you increased oil capacity (the amount in the hoses).

It does add complexity to the system and possible failure points - but to do it right, I would use nice braided lines like those from Russell, for example.

If you want even more oil reserve, use a bigger filter... Unless it really does just *relocate* it. Mine for example is generically threaded all the way - the filter itself comes in Chevy or Ford threading, usually. Dunno about imports, but it stands to reason that those are also available.

#44106 - 08/05/02 08:32 PM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
Lifeboat Offline

Loc: Orygun
I guess if it'll work in a race car it might be ok in my truck. I see them on boats all the time. Thanks.

Tim

#44107 - 08/05/02 08:48 PM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifeboat:
I guess if it'll work in a race car it might be ok in my truck. I see them on boats all the time. Thanks.
Bear in mind that in my race car I also have a higher pressure oil pump as well... Stock oil pumps should be just fine, though as long as you don't get too big a set of hoses or go too far with them (you'll also have that much more oil to change).

#44108 - 09/05/02 06:57 AM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
4x4parts.com is now selling single and dual-filter units for the X/Frontier. Supposed to relocate to the wheel well. I'd rather have it in the engine bay though.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#44109 - 09/05/02 07:48 AM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
My 1991 Pathfinder VG30E has one. It's a Perma-Cool brand gotten via JC Whitney for $29.00. It uses a Ford PH-8 1 qt filter and I mounted it to the passenger side inner fender well. Makes oil changes a breeze while keeping oil out of the starter (not a problem on the X)and gives that extra capacity. I did not know that 4x4 parts had these. Am checking it out now smile
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

#44110 - 09/05/02 08:30 AM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
4x4parts.com is now selling single and dual-filter units for the X/Frontier. Supposed to relocate to the wheel well. I'd rather have it in the engine bay though.
Whoa! Never put an oil filter in the wheel well on an off-road vehicle... One kicked up pebble and you're going nowhere fast! I can't believe they're selling a kit like that?

I have it here in the race car, but then - there's no dirt on a track, and the filter is protected by a thick rubber sheet around it...

#44111 - 09/05/02 01:15 PM Re: Remote Oil Filter?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Coolerman,

Looks like you'll end up with oil in the engine bay now. I guess you put a rag under it first eh?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal