2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51232 - 12/08/02 11:14 AM Aligning Me Crazy!!!
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
Hey folks, newbie here. I just bought a 2000 4X2 SE last week, and it's still under warranty with almost 19,000 miles on it. The problem(s) I'm having though is that it really wants to pull to the right. I was told by another X-owner that with the 2000's, there is only one bracket that connects to the sway bar, and that bracket is easily broken. When the bracket breaks, the X will pull to the right, even after just being aligned.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and has this happened to anyone else? I'm about to take it to the dealership because my speedometer, odometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge all went out, and I'd like to tell them to check the bracket thing while they're at it. I don't want to sound like an idiot, so I'd rather have the right terminology, and be able to point out what I'm talking about. If someone has a pic of the bracket, that would be awesome too!
Thanks in advance, looking forward to being here.

#51233 - 12/08/02 11:31 AM Re: Aligning Me Crazy!!!
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Any sway bar will have at least two brackets/bushings that attach it to the frame, and two end links that attach it to the control arms.

Likely if one bracket (frame) was broken you would notice a klunk in the front end over bumps or an abrubt weight shift when cornering. As well if an end link broke you would notice a weight shift.

The only way a damaged sway bar could affect the steering is if it were binding the suspension, causing the vehicle to have a left-to-right ride height varience (one side of the vehicle sits higher than the other side)

I would suggest to let the dealership know what the truck is doing exactly...unless you are proficient enough to do a preliminary inspection yourself...and let them figure out the cause of the problem (ie. The truck pulls slightly to the right @65 mph, it will make the truck go completely out of the lane in 5 seconds...etc)

#51234 - 12/08/02 11:38 AM Re: Aligning Me Crazy!!!
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
Thanks man. I was reading some other threads, and it seems like everyone has had problems with their alignment. When I have my electrical stuff fixed, I'll tell them to fix my alignment too.
I had an 83 Jeep CJ7 before my X, and it was a cinch to work on myself. I'm not even going to attempt touching this until my warranty runs out.

#51235 - 12/08/02 12:06 PM Re: Aligning Me Crazy!!!
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I have had alignment problems with mine too:

First the ride height was off, and the truck pulled right. The dealer adjusted the Torsion bars, and called it good.

On the drive home it pulled left mad , I return to the dealer and ask them if they checked the toe setting after adjusting the T-bars their answer confused .

They did get everything adjusted and it is all good now!

Good luck on yours, and use up the warranty whenever possible!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal