Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48487 - 20/09/02 07:47 AM Paper air filters
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
OK, here's the question: Are there any paper air filters that are any better (ie: better filtering, less restriction) than any others?

I know that oil impregnated cotton gauze-type filters, like K&N, are far better, and I do have a K&N drop-in in my "X", but I just can't see spending 50 bucks for an air filter for my other vehicle. It's just a commuter and I don't need performance out of it, but at the same time I'd like to get the best 10 dollar paper filter I can get for it, if one brand is any better than another.

I know, I know... 5 filter changes and I'd have paid for the K&N, but realistically that's 50,000 miles and I'm just not sure I'll have it that long.

The MiniMopar oil filter study showed pretty clearly that all oil filters are not created the same and often the best of the best is one of the cheapest, so I was wondering if maybe the same held true for air filters. But I've surfed the web for a couple of hours and I can't find any similar study done on air filters.

DaveDatsun? Anybody who's put a million miles on cars over the years and maintains their own ride?

#48488 - 20/09/02 08:25 AM Re: Paper air filters
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
In my experience, the K&N lets in more crap than a regular paper filter. I've always used AC Delco air filters, pcv valves, breather filters, etc and they seem to work fine.

#48489 - 20/09/02 08:51 AM Re: Paper air filters
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
...I know, I know... 5 filter changes and I'd have paid for the K&N
Yes, if your time is worth nothing!

Paper filters work great on the road. I like the Napa as it has an aluminum mesh backing.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal