Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42943 - 29/10/02 08:59 AM Automatic transmission shifting late
Solar Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Since the weather has gotten cold up here in New England I have noticed that my transmission does not go into overdrive for some time. As I get to crussing speed on the highway (70), the engine revs around 3K. after about 5-10 minutes of driving she drops to around 2.5K rpm. Anyone out there has seen this problem. Yes I know I should go to the dealer but before I waste a whole lot of time with them I figured I ask and see if anyone else has seen this issue and if there is a fix for it. By the way I have a 2002 XE 4x4.
Thanks

#42944 - 29/10/02 09:02 AM Re: Automatic transmission shifting late
jimbo Offline

this is not a problem that you can really fix. This is common with a lot of automatic transmissions. The transmission needs the ATF fluid at a certain operating temperature and pressure before it can function properly. Since your converter is always engaged your generating a lot of heat - after you drive a while the extra heat generated is enough for it to start operating properly and it disengages and your rpm's drop.

#42945 - 29/10/02 10:51 AM Re: Automatic transmission shifting late
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Agreed, the fluid has to reach a certain temp before the lockup will engage. Perfectly normal.
We have a 92 Civic, our in-laws have a 95. Both reach the proper temp within 50 yards of a certain point on the road after leaving their house. It's uncanny how consistent it is.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#42946 - 29/10/02 02:48 PM Re: Automatic transmission shifting late
aznxterra Offline

yup they are absolutely correct.....what i found is that if you warm your car up for a little bit or drive in the city for a few minutes then get onto the freeway then it will go into overdrive....it's just the way it works

#42947 - 30/10/02 01:09 PM Re: Automatic transmission shifting late
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
A lot of new transmissions are programmed that way too in order to heat up the cats faster. Usually they will hold 1st gear longer than normal when you first get going; don't know if the Xterra does that too.

#42948 - 31/10/02 09:24 AM Re: Automatic transmission shifting late
Solar Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks for the answers guys, I guess I won't be worrying about that anymore.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal