Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#647106 - 12/01/03 12:49 AM Computer chip
OSUX Offline

Loc: Corvallis, Oregon
I will start out by stating that I know little to nothing about the electronics of cars or there computer systems. But I was watching ( I think its called) "Motor Trends" today and they were talking about the computers in cars and comparing the obd1 and obd2 systems and stated that some cars have computers that can accept performance chips while others dont. Does the X come with one that allows for this or not? Also they said that if your particular car comes with a non upgradable computer you can buy an aftermarket one that allows for you to upgrade it with different chips has anyone done this? and what were the outcomes.

Thanks and please understand my ignorance in this area.

DG

#647107 - 12/01/03 09:05 AM Re: Computer chip
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by OSUX:
I was watching ( I think its called) "Motor Trends" today and they were talking about the computers in cars and comparing the obd1 and obd2 systems and stated that some cars have computers that can accept performance chips while others dont
The X is ODBII - all cars around 1995 and up are ODBII. Generally ODBI cars are easier to mod, since the electronics are allot simpler, but I have seen systems for ODBII enabled cars.

It generally depends on the size of the aftermarket, coupled with the demand for performance mods. Since the X isn't anything close to a sports car, I would be real suprised at a big demand for performance enhancing mods like that.

Having said that smile if you search the performance forum for the term MOD or CHIP I think you will turn up some discussions on the subject.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal