Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45861 - 17/04/03 02:28 PM pulling a boat
Heath22 Offline

Loc: Dacula, GA
I'm thinking of buying a 18'-20' boat this summer and I know the X will pull that (2k-3k lbs at most). I was wandering if anyone who has or had pulled a boat with their X: does it do ok pulling out of water? I'm sure it's ok on hwy, but it's the ramp and water that I worry about. I don't want to look stupid or damage anything with the stress. Any stories or comments?

#45862 - 17/04/03 02:48 PM Re: pulling a boat
Fletcher Beck Offline

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Heath,

I pull a 16 foot Wooden Drift boat all the time no problems what so ever. I also pull my freinds parents ski boat that is probably right around what you are looking at and have had no probelms what so ever there either. Hope that helps you.

#45863 - 17/04/03 04:56 PM Re: pulling a boat
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
I pull a 17 ft I/O bowrider, and have no complaints. It is a little slow getting up to speed, but that is to be expected. The X pulls the boat out of the water with ease. My father-in-law live on a lake, and where we put the boat in is all loose sand, and I pulled the boat out with no problem.

#45864 - 17/04/03 08:30 PM Re: pulling a boat
nh_xterra Offline

Loc: Lebanon,N.H.
I have 20ft fish&ski I/O v6...225hp
No problem with local "sand ramp"
highway speed ok ,If you stay out of OD.
Its the brakeing that keeps me on my toes..
Leave yourself some room..

#45865 - 18/04/03 08:11 AM Re: pulling a boat
Glades Runner Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Heath22,
Although I am not an avid hauler, I do know that added strain and heat adds to transmission failure, this is especially true for towing. I have never towed long distance with the X; I will be shortly when I tow a trailer over 18 hours back to Florida. In preparation for this twice a year trip and for small boat towing around town, I am having an intercooler placed on my tranny. Although it is not mandatory, I believe it is the best insurance policy for individuals that tow. I am getting the OE transmission cooler installed for under $150. Hope this helps,
Roger

#45866 - 18/04/03 08:39 AM Re: pulling a boat
Heath22 Offline

Loc: Dacula, GA
Yeah I thought of that too. I saw that thread somewhere else too. I'm investigating that too. Thanks for all of everyone's help.

#45867 - 20/04/03 06:51 PM Re: pulling a boat
Bowski Offline

Loc: Great Lakes, IL
I've pulled a 20ft I/O boat from st louis to chicago. Had no problems towing the boat at all. Was very impressed, kinda slow getting up to speed but with that much weight on the ass its expected. Have no problems pulling out of water, or up hills. The only suggestion I would give is to get towing mirrors that clip on your sideview mirrors. I can't see jack behind me without them. The X's mirrors are so damn small, you'll appreciate it on the highway or in traffic where assholes think they can draft you or by somehow driving up your prop you'll go faster.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal