Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45901 - 08/05/03 05:55 PM transmission problem
smudog Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Colorado
Hey, all. I'm a long-time reader, but this is my first post. I've been having a problem with my transmission lately. Number one, it's a 4 speed auto, but I swear that it shifts 4 times and there are 5 gears. I can't explain that, maybe one of you can. That isn't the problem. When it's cold, it doesn't shift into the last gear. Even when the engine is warmed. It's like it has to wait for the transmission to warm up. Has anyone else had this problem. I've got 11,000 miles. Of course, I've taken it to the dealership but it isn't symptomatic by the time I get it there. Warms up on the way. Any help would be appreciated. thanks,

Mike
I've done some searches, but I haven't found anything on this topic.

#45902 - 08/05/03 05:59 PM Re: transmission problem
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Sounds like you are talking about when the torque converter locks up.

#45903 - 08/05/03 06:38 PM Re: transmission problem
XmtbX00 Offline

Loc: Denver
Mine has 77k and has done this since it was new. On cold days the transmission does takes longer to warm up than the engine. Someone on XOC said the reason the torque converter does not lock up right away is so that the tranny will warm up faster. Once the tranny is at the correct temperature the torque converter locks. This seems to make sense to me....

IMO it's not a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

#45904 - 08/05/03 09:39 PM Re: transmission problem
smudog Offline

Thanks for the imput. It still seems weird to me, but then again, I'm not a very mechanical person. I just wanted to make sure since I'm moving to Minnesota in the fall and it's a bit cooler there than Dallas.

Mike

#45905 - 08/05/03 09:53 PM Re: transmission problem
smudog Offline

Alright, I think we can close this thread for me...I've done some more searching and found everything I was looking for. I guess that knowing what to look for is a plus.

Mike

#45906 - 09/05/03 12:34 PM Re: transmission problem
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Was going to say I'm sure there are a few posts by me on the topic wink Searching "torque converter lockup" would find 'em.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal