Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49737 - 06/06/03 07:02 AM how common is clutch replacement?
krispykeith Offline

I purchased an 02 5-speed SC and have consistently read in searched topics that the clutch is rather weak and prone to early burnout. Has anyone logged a significant number of miles with some minor towing and not had any problems?

I was planning to tow a little popup camper or boat like once or twice a year...but I am getting cold feet about puting extra wear on the clutch if its that brittle.

Would love to hear feedback on problems/no problems and replacement cost if you had it done professionally. Thanks!

#49738 - 06/06/03 07:18 AM Re: how common is clutch replacement?
X-Yotaluva Offline

Loc: Rural Hall, NC
I use my XTERRA to tow a trailer. I haven't had any indication that the clutch is going to have problems. So far so good.

#49739 - 06/06/03 07:54 AM Re: how common is clutch replacement?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wouldn't say it's prone to early burnout under most circumstances. Those burning them out are mostly folks who offroad and have to abuse the clutch some to make up for the lack of low gearing. If you are good with the clutch you shouldn't have any real problems.

#49740 - 06/06/03 08:14 AM Re: how common is clutch replacement?
krispykeith Offline

Thanks alot for the feedback! I debated between the auto and the manual for quite a while and was second guessing my choice a bit but hopefully that wasnt necessary. I chose the X for utility, camping, hauling my 110 lb dog and rare towing so it probably wont see alot of sport off roading other than a bit of sightseeing at remote camps.

Thanks again and any other experiences/thoughts are welcomed.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal