2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46460 - 28/06/03 12:26 PM I left the 4wd on by accident..
AndThenScottSays... Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
Alright yesterday I drove off the beach, went to the marina to pump up my tires, and then up over a long bridge.. all in all I'd say maybe 3-4 mi max..the only thing is I had 4wd on the whole time and didnt realize it... should I be worried and get it checked out or will it be okay? I didn't realize it was still on till I was on the bridge, and it was a long narrow one.. no room to pull over and start backing up to turn the thing off without causing a big accident. (for those familiar with the NC outer banks it was the bridge over Oregon Inlet)

#46461 - 28/06/03 01:14 PM Re: I left the 4wd on by accident..
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Was the transfer case in 4, or were the hubs still just locked ?

#46462 - 28/06/03 03:07 PM Re: I left the 4wd on by accident..
AndThenScottSays... Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
Transfer case was still left in 4hi.

#46463 - 28/06/03 04:25 PM Re: I left the 4wd on by accident..
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by PigerTaws:
I didn't realize it was still on till I was on the bridge, and it was a long narrow one.. no room to pull over and start backing up to turn the thing off without causing a big accident.
As long as you don't make any tight turns with the transfer case engaged on dry pavement, you should be fine. Just remember, loud "bang" noises = stuff potentially breaking which can = $$$ in repairs.

Driving with the hubs locked will not cause problems. As soon as you noticed the transfer case was still engaged, putting it back into 2HI is more than enough. Once the transfer case is disengaged, there is nothing linking the front wheels together, even if the hubs are still locked. The only reason you would have had to back up was to disengage the hubs - not neccessary to prevent damage from driving on dry pavement.

#46464 - 29/06/03 12:22 AM Re: I left the 4wd on by accident..
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
As long as you don't make any tight turns with the transfer case engaged on dry pavement, you should be fine. Just remember, loud "bang" noises = stuff potentially breaking which can = $$$ in repairs.
After driving on Moab slickrock (which is actually not slick at all!) in 4-LO for dozens of miles to the sound of moaning, barking tires, I actually find it difficult to believe that driving in 4WD on pavement is more likely to break something than actually 4-wheeling!

#46465 - 29/06/03 12:18 PM Re: I left the 4wd on by accident..
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
After driving on Moab slickrock (which is actually not slick at all!) in 4-LO for dozens of miles to the sound of moaning, barking tires, I actually find it difficult to believe that driving in 4WD on pavement is more likely to break something than actually 4-wheeling!
Well, that's why I used words like "potentially" and "can". If the tires can't slip and you are making a tight turn, then the exess travel has to be taken up somewhere - if it's in your drivetrain that can be bad - offroad or onroad.

The difference between what you were doing and driving on pavement is on pavement there is no reason to have 4wd engaged...

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal