2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43693 - 18/08/04 01:16 PM given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I bought my 04 X this summer in May. The first oil change at the dealership took 50 mins and now the second oil change took 2 hours mad . So needless to say I have given up on the dealership change my oil. Okay so here my question, how hard it to change the oil on the X? I am embassered to say that I have never change the oil myself on any of the cars I have owned, mostly because I got them for free in the past. Also I have decided to go synthetic in my X I am just wondering if there is a big difference between Mobil 1 and lets say quaker state full syn? Or is it just brand loyalty that makes most people go with Mobil 1? For what I gather with a syn oil you can almost double the mileage between oil changes when using a syn oil, am I correct in thinking that? I do mostly highway driving so having that extra mileage would be great. I have done many searches on the site but have not been able to answer my questions. I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks. laugh

#43694 - 18/08/04 01:42 PM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

There has been much discussion on this board about what type of oil to use. I would suggest using the search function in the upper right by "my profile" you will find mucho information there, and mucho opinions too.

-Stinks about the dealership, two hours for an oil change is rediculous. I think the owners manual gives a detailed description of how to change the oil.

#43695 - 18/08/04 11:00 PM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can handle it if you can stand to get a little dirty. [ThumbsUp]

#43696 - 19/08/04 06:22 AM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Xterra is one the easiest trucks to change your own oil in. Lieing on the ground and getting a tad dirty is mandatory.

Buy yourself a cheap set of coveralls (are those your good pants?), a drain pan (to catch the old oil and drippings from the oil filter), 10 mm socket and ratchet (to remove the front skid plate), 14mm socket (to loosen and tighten the drain plug) and a big set of channel locks (to grip the old filter and take it off). 3.5 quarts to fill 'er up with the lube of choice (but stick with 5W-30, brand and type of your own choosing) checking the dipstick for accuracy, and your done.

#43697 - 19/08/04 08:01 AM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut, you forgot the new filter :rolleyes:

#43698 - 19/08/04 08:44 AM Re: given up on the dealership
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
If you want to save yourself the trouble of retapping and replacing broken skid plate bolts, you don't really have to remove the skid plate, just put your drain pan under the "trough" in the middle of the skid plate and use your Channellocks to remove the filter from the left (drivers) side. I have always changed my own oil and have never removed the skid plate. The skid plate drains completely through the "trough". If you're anal about the cleanliness of your skid plate you can wipe it off from the left (drivers) side also.

#43699 - 19/08/04 10:44 AM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also if you properly install your filter there is no need for channel locks to remove it (unless you have little girly hands [LOL] ).

#43700 - 19/08/04 04:38 PM Re: given up on the dealership
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
Quote:
Originally posted by BigYella:
(unless you have little girly hands [LOL] ).
[Finger] smart ass

#43701 - 19/08/04 05:40 PM Re: given up on the dealership
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Super easy job! Just park next to any culvert/drain along your street, drain the oil, replace the filter (the old one you can usually kick/force into the drain opening along with the plasic containers the new oil comes in...) Sure used oil is bad for the environment, but it sure looks pretty mixed in with the water (all rainbowy like smile )

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#43702 - 19/08/04 06:09 PM Re: given up on the dealership
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
filters are just a technicality!!!

Thomas Jefferson

#43703 - 20/08/04 06:10 AM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
Cyclemut, you forgot the new filter :rolleyes:
Doh!

#43704 - 20/08/04 06:18 AM Re: given up on the dealership
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
Super easy job! Just park next to any culvert/drain along your street, drain the oil, replace the filter (the old one you can usually kick/force into the drain opening along with the plasic containers the new oil comes in...) Sure used oil is bad for the environment, but it sure looks pretty mixed in with the water (all rainbowy like smile )
Rinse the old filter instead, it'll come back just like new.

#43705 - 20/08/04 01:03 PM Re: given up on the dealership
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
OK, don't laugh, first new vehicle I had was a Mitsubishi Mighty max pick-up. I was going to give it it's very first oil change. I wane and bought all the oil I needed, a new filter and some new tools just for the occasion. I went home, parked the truck on a level surface, let it cool off for a while, good excuse to go have a beer, went out and crawled under it.
I had never done and oil change on one of these before, I proceeded to remove and immediatly drop into the drain pan the plug from the transmission and drained all the nice, clear gear oil all over myself
My new truck with only 1500 miles on it was towed to my mechanic friend that afternoon for an oil change and to be replenished with new gear oil. And yes, I did feel really stupid

OK, go ahead and laugh now

#43706 - 20/08/04 03:01 PM Re: given up on the dealership
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I did a carpet job a while back for a local radio DJ...he was having some drivability problems with his car. It turns out that the local Speedy Lube had drained his transmission and put another four quarts of oil in the crankcase--Needless to say, that wasn't a happy car smile It smoked, leaked, ran like crap, and sounded like a box of marbles. He drove it to and from work for about a week before he decided to have his "sports car" checked out. At least I haven't heard of a dealer (or anyone else) doing that.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal