2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#642035 - 12/04/05 01:39 PM Do I need a whole new cat back?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I don't know much about exhausts except what I have been able to research here on XOC. For a few weeks now I have noticed moisture dripping right under the rear diver side door. So I crawled under there and noticed a small rust hole in the exhaust piping about a foot or so behind the muffler. It isn't a big deal, but I know the hole will only get bigger over time and eventually the pipe will rust out. Do I need to go out and get whole new cat back system since the location of the hole is past the muffler?

Only way I noticed it is because I tend to let my X warm up in the driveway for a few minutes each morning and when I come outside to get in, I notice a little puddle of water underneath.

If I do need one is there a decent & cheaper alternative to the SS Borla cat back. It'll probably last me forever, but it's like $500 some bucks. eek

#642036 - 12/04/05 01:47 PM Re: Do I need a whole new cat back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The cheapest way for a quick (and short-lived) fix is some aluminum muffler tape. But I don't recommend this since it's more like a quick band-aid and not an actual FIX.

Any muffler shop can probably cut out the part where the hole is and "patch" your exhaust back together with a new section of pipe. This would be a LOT cheaper than spending money on any of the cat-back systems available.

Of course if there are more spots that look like they may rust through soon, might as well go with a cat-back. There are many options, but as far as a premade cat-back for the xterra, Gibson is the cheapest I think.

Hope this helps a little bit in your quest for repair.

#642037 - 12/04/05 02:10 PM Re: Do I need a whole new cat back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I remember correctly, isn't there a hole in the factory catback to drain combustion byproduct (water) that forms? Otherwise the water would sit and rust through. I seem to remember a small hole in mine. A very tiny, drilled hole. There was some rust around it on mine which is normal since it was not stainless.

#642038 - 12/04/05 04:35 PM Re: Do I need a whole new cat back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a small hole in the muffler for drainage.

#642039 - 12/04/05 06:18 PM Re: Do I need a whole new cat back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The hole on the muffler is perfectly normal. Keeps water from collecting there leading to more rust.

However, it looks like you have a different hole on the actual piping?

#642040 - 13/04/05 06:57 AM Re: Do I need a whole new cat back?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
It is defintely a rust type of hole and not something that should be there for drainage. I'll check into having the section replaced. I just hate the thought of walking into Mieneke or Midas. I have heard my share of horror stories about them...not that they don't know how to install an exhaust, but I heard of them charging outrageous sums of money for very jobs.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal