2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639222 - 13/04/05 01:48 PM replacing exhaust w/ muffler?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey experts!
Is it imperative that I replace the exhaust pipes when I install a new muffler? I'm plannning on getting a Flowmaster installed soon. My X only has 3500 miles on it and the pipes are basicaly new. I guess I'm asking if I will lose some sort of gains if I don't get the pipes replaced along with the muffler. I've read some threads here about increasing the size of pipe diameter. Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance

#639223 - 13/04/05 02:36 PM Re: replacing exhaust w/ muffler?
2 the X Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA.
There is no doubt that there are more performance gains by replacing all the pipe from the catalytic converter back. However, there is a point where you loose too much backpressure in the engine thus hindering performance. The general advice I have received from the person who has done my exhaust systems for several vehicles is that going up 0.25" - 0.5" is about all you want to do. In our case, a 2.5" exhaust system is probably the most optimal. Now, if you just change the muffler to a more free-flowing muffler, you will notice an improvement just not as much. The exhaust tone will not be as "loud" as it would be if you changed all the piping. . .and of course its much cheaper just to replace the muffler. My best advice would be if you ever decide to go to a 2.5" system purchase a 2.5" inlet/outlet Flowmaster 40 series and they can size down the inlet/outlet to fit your current system but it will give you some flexibility if you ever change. This is simply my advice/experience. . .ask around there quite a few well versed mechanics on the site.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal