2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639050 - 16/06/05 11:18 PM strange transmission thing....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, I am new here and new to the Xterra. Ever since they came out I wanted one and I finally got around to picking one up. I have a few questions, one of which is where to get cheap foglights, one of mine seems to have rusted completely through it. The other thing is the transmission. I think this might be the first in 15 cars I have owned that is an automatic, and I have a feeling its just something normal, that I am not aware of. What it seems like it does is have an auxillary gear in all 4 speeds. If I turn off overdrive, and drive in 3rd gear (only done to test it) or if its in normal 4th) and I am cruising, say on the highway around 60-70, and I hit the gas, the tranny seems like it downshifts, but to a gear that is barely higher than the one its in. It seems like it only changes about 500 rpm, if that. If I hit the gas more, it will downshift into 3rd, or if OD is off, it will go to 2nd, if 2nd has enough gear left. I know that an auto will rev up a little biut when you accelerate, but it just seems like its downshifting. Its just really strange and I know if I go into the dealer they are going to tell me either A. its normal, or B. Somethings messed up, and I won't believe them, and that leads me to screwing up my truck, or just not getting my answer. The OTHER problem I have is that sharp turns where I have the wheel all the way, or if its a midly sharp turn (very slow speeds BTW) and the front suspension compresses a little bit, it makes a very loud grinding noise that comes from the front end. I was reading somewhere else that someone had experienced it and was told by the dealer that it was very usual for this to occur. Fine by me, it doesn't really bother me, but if something is wrong I would definately grab the new part and put it in. Anyway, thanks for your help in advance and its great to be a part of something great like the Xterra Owners Club. Thanks! 'Carl

#639051 - 17/06/05 06:03 AM Re: strange transmission thing....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent:
Hey guys, I am new here and new to the Xterra. Ever since they came out I wanted one and I finally got around to picking one up. I have a few questions, one of which is where to get cheap foglights, one of mine seems to have rusted completely through it. The other thing is the transmission. I think this might be the first in 15 cars I have owned that is an automatic, and I have a feeling its just something normal, that I am not aware of. What it seems like it does is have an auxillary gear in all 4 speeds. If I turn off overdrive, and drive in 3rd gear (only done to test it) or if its in normal 4th) and I am cruising, say on the highway around 60-70, and I hit the gas, the tranny seems like it downshifts, but to a gear that is barely higher than the one its in. It seems like it only changes about 500 rpm, if that. If I hit the gas more, it will downshift into 3rd, or if OD is off, it will go to 2nd, if 2nd has enough gear left. I know that an auto will rev up a little biut when you accelerate, but it just seems like its downshifting. Its just really strange and I know if I go into the dealer they are going to tell me either A. its normal, or B. Somethings messed up, and I won't believe them, and that leads me to screwing up my truck, or just not getting my answer. The OTHER problem I have is that sharp turns where I have the wheel all the way, or if its a midly sharp turn (very slow speeds BTW) and the front suspension compresses a little bit, it makes a very loud grinding noise that comes from the front end. I was reading somewhere else that someone had experienced it and was told by the dealer that it was very usual for this to occur. Fine by me, it doesn't really bother me, but if something is wrong I would definately grab the new part and put it in. Anyway, thanks for your help in advance and its great to be a part of something great like the Xterra Owners Club. Thanks! 'Carl
For the foglights, eBay might be the best spot.

For the tranny, automatics have what is called a " Torque Converter ". When accelerating or not at a constant speed, the torque converter is unlocked which means that the side connected to the engine turns faster than the side connected to the transmission. That offers some torque multiplication and also enables you to stop without stalling the engine. When you drive at constant highway speed, the torque converter locks up meaning that both the engine side and the transmission side now turn at the same speed. This produces less friction and enables your engine to run as lower RPM for better gas mileage. When you press the gas to accelerate or come to a hill, the torque converter will unlock so that the engine can turn faster and offer torque multiplication. If you push harder, it will downshift from 4th(OD) to 3rd(D).

On your third problem, I can't comment much. Do you have bigger than stock tires, if so they may rub, mine does that. But if it's something else I have no idea.

#639052 - 17/06/05 06:37 AM Re: strange transmission thing....
Anonymous
Unregistered

for the third problem, grease your steering stops. mine did the same thing during a hard turn when i first got it. i was convinced something was wrong and took it in for service. they greased the steering stops and the problem went away.

#639053 - 17/06/05 09:19 AM Re: strange transmission thing....
Anonymous
Unregistered

^^^ He's right. That's your solution.

#639054 - 17/06/05 09:22 AM Re: strange transmission thing....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info about the TC, I knew how they worked, but I wasn't aware of the locking/unlocking side of their usefullness.

Steering stops, you said you had the dealer do it, do you know if they used a grease gun or how they went about it? thanks.

#639055 - 17/06/05 07:41 PM Re: strange transmission thing....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just smear some axle grease on those suckers.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal