Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42636 - 12/09/05 07:53 AM Loud popping noise from front end
broncox Offline

Loc: chicago
Last time out I was attempting some ledges, hill climbs etc. I was going over stuff I had done before with no problem. The front end started popping loudly with the tires hopping and jerking. This happened even when the wheels were straight but meeting some resistance from the hill cliimb. Popping accurs 4-5 times for every one wheel rotation.
I have taken the truck to Nissan thinking it was the hubs but they say the hubs are fine and could not duplicate the problem. I however can. Today just for kicks I locked the hubs and drove down the street. The first time I went to turn the wheel to the left the sytem Pulled the wheel out of my hands forcing the truck to steer hard right.
When the truck is in 2H and the hubs are not locked the truck drive fine. Has anyone had this issue and or does anyone know what it is? I was thinking that my front end was eating itself up.
Any help would be great thank you.

#42637 - 12/09/05 08:07 AM Re: Loud popping noise from front end
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the hubs are fine, then the next culprate is a CV shaft.

#42638 - 12/09/05 08:11 AM Re: Loud popping noise from front end
broncox Offline

Loc: chicago
Should I bee looking at one side more than the other with the steering binding up? It's being forced to the right when I let go of the wheel.

#42639 - 12/09/05 07:01 PM Re: Loud popping noise from front end
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
CV would be my guess. Take a look for any obvious signs of damage, leaks, tears, bending etc. Since the front end on an IFS X is a pain in the ass to work on try taking the truck to another dealer. Explain to them what the issue is, request that a tech ride with you so that you can explain the issue and that should be the end of it. Keep us posted as to what the final outcome is.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal